A Discussion and an Intrusion

MaligornMaligorn Windborne
edited January 2014 in Event Scrolls
The summit of the mountain stands tallest among many in a volcanic range which breaks the barrier of white clouds below, and the shallow caldera of this one in specific has been cleared to create a terraced courtyard which stands open to the air. Distantly, some of the volcanic peaks glow with an inner heat, and one or two throw trails of smoke to the sky. Sweeping clouds of the barrier below the peaks stretch on to a crystal clear, aquamarine horizon, bands of soft white waves ranging across a sea of dusty blue-grey through which hints of lands below can be seen. Above that sea, the sky fades from aquamarine at the horizon to a cool and star-studded blue-violet overhead. Across the courtyard within the caldera, however, small and reflective tiles of all types, sizes, and materials have been arranged in patterns of clouds and feathered creatures. Echoing the patterns, twisting outcrops of metal with a platinum sheen rise in shapes loosely resembling flocks of interconnected birds or singular birds of prey, their eyes marked with small precious and semi-precious stones. Shifting and shimmering in undulating waves, heatless sparks rise in a rippling fountain of light. The graceful, translucent form of a bird of paradise dances in the air, the insubstantial image shifting through a constant stream of vivid colours. A smooth scroll crafted from silk lies on the ground here.

You pant like a dog.

You say, "Sprinting up the mountain. Quite an endeavour."

Shadows grow longer in anticipation for the return of their dark mistress as Father Sun's chase brings him closer to the world's edge.

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says to you, "I should have picked you up."

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says, "But you ran off so quick."

You see the following people here:
Aerys, Elanorwen, Talan, Maligorn.

Sparks of colour twirl about the caldera's rim with faint amusement.

Commander Elanorwen Pavok of the Air Force says to you, "I keep telling you... practice, practice. A good mage will want some muscles and endurance, too."

Elanorwen nods her head sagely.

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says, "I have this handy means of getting right to Avechna."

"Pish posh," you say with a dismissive wave of your hand.

Castellan Aerys Tarsuhl looks thoughtful and says, "If you were looking at a book cover comprised of primarily opaque white crystal, would yellow gold hardware look good? Such as metal corners, or perhaps the book clasp or lock."

Motes of light around the caldera pulse brightly as a soft voice echoes, "If you will please direct your attention to the scroll on the floor, you may read Elanorwen's ideas about the tenet of Sacrifice."

Aerys's ears perk up with a sudden interest.

You wipe the back of your hand across your brow in relief.

You perk your ears up as an errant topic catches your interest.

read scroll
(Page 1)
OVERVIEW

Others may speak of passion or the lack thereof, embracing one aspect or
the other. Some may even claim they embrace both. Still, when it comes
right down to it, we are all creatures of passion and we react in a
specific way when someone seeks to harm, injure or offend us. What this
set of rules to live by strives to accomplish is show everyone that
negative emotions such as hate only bring more of the same by responding
to hate with love, to sadness with compassion, to aggression with
kindness.

LOVE

It is easy to love another, even easier if they are nice and sweet, kind
and gentle. But what if you were asked to love an enemy? Someone that
has attacked you both verbally and physically for as long as you can
remember? Not as easy, as it turns out, but if we respond to hatred with
more hatred, we will only get the same in return. So next time an enemy
growls at you or makes a scathing remark, respond with a smile. Of
course, some cannot be recovered and it is also our job to show them our
love by showing them the error of their ways, be it with a well-placed
word or a well-placed jab with your sharp object of choice.

Most will claim that emotion is the enemy of justice. They will also
step forward and claim that the best mediator is the one that can ignore
emotions and be completely impassionate. It is my opinion that the same
can be accomplished while governed by emotion as well. If two people
have a dispute and their mediator loves both with equal measure, then
that mediator would be just as suited, if not better suited than an
impassionate one.

COMPASSION

Easiest way to respond to sadness is with pity, but pity is most often
perceived as a negative emotion in and of itself. Most cases, the people
that are pitied the most are the ones that need it the least. As such,
strive to respond to them with compassion. Give them your friendliest
smile, a shoulder to cry on and try and listen to their problems so that
you may provide them with the best possible advice to help solve their
problems. In doing so, it is likely that you will gain a friend. Of
course, there will come a time when you will run into an individual who
is sad for all the wrong reasons. In a case such as that, the best way
to show compassion is to point out their errors, the way you see them,
even if doing so might hurt them.

KINDNESS

It all comes down to this. Being kind to everyone, no matter who they
are, what they do, or what they've done in the past. If they need your
help, you should be there for them, give them support and show them
where they might have wronged you. Of course, there might come a point
where it might be more prudent to show another the ultimate kindness and
help them end their existence to end their suffering. Should that time
come, make sure to accomplish this task as swiftly and as painlessly as
possible.

Four genies burst out of their bottles, whirling around Elanorwen as they wrap her in ribbons of multicoloured light.

As the sun passes below the horizon's edge, Mother Night unveils her terrible, shadowy beauty, spreading darkness across the land.

Talan purses her lips pensively, gazing off into the distance as she carefully gathers her thoughts.

You look thoughtful and say, "Interesting."

---

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says, "Well, as a personal philosophy."

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says, "It isn't exactly mine."

Elanorwen's eyes sparkle with amusement at Talan.

Talan shrugs helplessly.

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says, "But if it helps you, then by all means."

(Hallifax): Aerys says, "I can fulfill your need for a tailor, if you'll allow me a few moments to attend to a matter presently at hand."

Commander Elanorwen Pavok of the Air Force says, "It hasn't really been mine, either... but I feel that it fits. Perhaps not perfectly..."

(Hallifax): Astro (from the Air Elemental Plane) says, "Of course, thank you."

Aerys tilts her head while gazing at Elanorwen, her crystal body flickering curious shades of light green.

Commander Elanorwen Pavok of the Air Force says, "And as such, it is perhaps something to aspire to."

Maerad suddenly appears, looking bewildered.

Castellan Aerys Tarsuhl asks Elanorwen, "If this hasn't been your personal philosophy, from where do these thoughts come?"

Across the heavens, the stars and moon challenge night's dark reign, revealing familiar constellations that tell the tales of myth and legend.

Maerad Windwhisper, Student of Temporal Science shuffles on the spot, ruffling her plumage in embarrassment.

Commander Elanorwen Pavok of the Air Force says, "Oh, they are my personal thoughts. Just not a
philosophy I have lived by."

You say, "Killing them with kindness, it seems, has been taken to an extreme level. I think that that requires more explanation and depth. Despite the absence of true death in our Realms, owing to the absence of Dynara and Magnora, taking another's life must be justified, and then doubly justified, and perhaps make the reason clear in triplicate."

Aerys sucks thoughtfully on an emerald cubix.

Elanorwen smiles softly at Maerad.

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says to you, "It doesn't really work that way in practice though."

Castellan Aerys Tarsuhl looks confused and says, "I cannot place why, but I have to say that these thoughts don't entirely resonate with me either."

You tilt your head and listen intently to Talan.

Motes of light around the caldera pulse brightly as a soft voice echoes, "What struck Me is that they appear very Razielan."

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says, "People die - people must die - for obscure reasons, all the time."

Castellan Aerys Tarsuhl says, "At least, the majority of them. I do agree with the basic thought that everyone is deserving of kindness."

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says, "See, I don't agree with that either."

You say, "Perhaps -- but as Hallifaxians we must strive to not obfuscate the facts, as the blinding Light or the tenebrous shadows."

Castellan Aerys Tarsuhl says, "For myself, such kindness has different forms depending on to whom it's being given."

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says, "Spoken like a non-combatant, honestly. Death does not - cannot - always make perfect sense."

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says, "For example, Nayl kills our citizens."

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says, "Because his wife is from Gaudiguch."

You say, "Certainly it can. With Truth, everything can be examined to the most minute detail."

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says, "Because he is a titan."

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says, "We have never done anything to offend him, but he just does these things."

Castellan Aerys Tarsuhl asks, "Nayl?"

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says, "Therefore, is it not just that we should retaliate, if possible?"

Commander Elanorwen Pavok of the Air Force says, "He will get what's coming to him one of these days."

Motes of light around the caldera pulse brightly as a soft voice echoes, "Nayl's behaviour strikes Me as rather anti-Ambassadorial."

The corners of Elanorwen's mouth turn up as she grins mischievously.

Talan gives a trillingly melodic laugh.

You nod your head in agreement.

Motes of light around the caldera pulse brightly as a soft voice echoes, "Which is somewhat ironic."

Aerys erratically pulsates in hues of ruby, emerald and sapphire.

You say to Talan, "Yes, I would agree with that."

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says to you, "But you see, in that, where is the end, and where is the reason."

Commander Elanorwen Pavok of the Air Force says, "Ah, but I did not seek to explore justice so much as perhaps a slight extension on Sacrifice."

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says, "You cannot define an exact price."

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says, "You cannot define a point at which people are satisfied."

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says, "Death, and the suffering or dealing of it, does not conform to these rules."

Maerad Windwhisper, Student of Temporal Science spots the scroll on the floor and begins reading.

You say, "Does that make death itself any more complicated?"

(Market): Esca says, "Looking for genie curios. Ad 331. Willing to trade."

Motes of light around the caldera pulse brightly as a soft voice echoes, "The Fates love to make death complicated."

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says, "I think it is no more complicated than any other emotion."

Commander Elanorwen Pavok of the Air Force says, "As to the concept being Razielan... I am not aware of that entity's teachings... although she is beautiful in her own way, I guess... but a bit too... lovey-dovey for my liking, perhaps."

Elanorwen chews on her lip, deep in thought.

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says, "Which is to say, it is as complicated as every other emotion."

Midnight shadows coalesce around a new day, and Mother Night embraces the land in utter darkness.
It is now the 21st of Dioni, 374 years after the Coming of Estarra.

You say, "Certainly, there is a bloody litany all over the Realms' histories. No one can say what began who, so and so killed this person for X reason. But the point I was attempting to make is that we must make it our own duty to make our intentions clear."

(Market): Ssaliss says, "The Wyrden Blessings, with shops in Glomdoring, Hallifax and Magnagora.
Plenty of cheap refills. Ad 307!"

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says to you, "It just doesn't work that way, I'm afraid."

You say, "We aren't assassins in the night, nor should we alter the truth. It is imperative that we have logic on our side when we go to war, when we avenge one of our own."

(Market): Mistral says, "Basic figurine with 8500 esteem for sale!"

Holding his nose up, you say, "It can."

(Market): Chade says, "Seeking anyone with vernal bracers curio, gleaming saw or the excorable
damage enhancing curio."

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says, "Also, the culture of fighting in itself does not allow for it."

Castellan Aerys Tarsuhl says, "That is admirable, certainly. However, that strikes me as slightly naive, in that just because we do so doesn't mean that the 'other side' will act any differently because of it."

(Market): Chade says, "Don't want to buy them, just pay to test something quickly."

You say, "This isn't about the "other side", comrades! This is about maintaining our own dignity in the face of the world. How can we claim to be the Beacon if we falter in our understanding of the Truth?"

(Market): Rajhod says, "Need artisan."

Elanorwen purses her lips pensively, gazing off into the distance as she carefully gathers her thoughts.

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says, "And how can we be harmonious in the world at large, if we deliberately attempt to change a system that has its own kind of order already?"

Talan Ysav'rai, the Voice of Reason says, "That is a bit arrogant, and frankly, presumptuous."

Maerad Windwhisper, Student of Temporal Science finishes reading the scroll and stands straight again, wrapping her arms around her falcon doll. She listens in silence, though she occasionally worries at her bottom lip with her teeth.

Castellan Aerys Tarsuhl says, "The current system has flaws, and always has. Change has always been desired by one party or another, and that's not like to change."

Castellan Aerys Tarsuhl says to Talan, "I disagree with you, slightly, however."

You frown and say, "Presumptuous is calling knives in the dark and unexplainable raids "orderly"."

I find them to be quite effective, little shard.

Comments

• ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    I need to meet Yomoigu IG eventually. So awesome, that dynamic.
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    That exchange was absolutely amazing to watch, even if we were all standing there going halp I have no idea how to be supportive, maybe we should all just glare at Him.

I have an ensuing discussion with Volucer that I can post if people want (I may post it anyway because everyone deserves to bathe in the awesome that is Volucer).
  • Tacita said:
    That exchange was absolutely amazing to watch, even if we were all standing there going halp I have no idea how to be supportive, maybe we should all just glare at Him.

I have an ensuing discussion with Volucer that I can post if people want (I may post it anyway because everyone deserves to bathe in the awesome that is Volucer).
    I am Volucer's #1 fan, please please post it.