Newbie Difficulties/Troubles/Concerns

Comments

• I really like the idea of choosing your race and class a bit later, since it offers good opportunites for RP.

But my newbie somehow managed to finish the tutorial without choosing a race. I can't remember if I was asked to do so and it happened because I also chose my guild after the tutorial, or if it simply didn't come up. It's alright for me but a true newbie might be confused by this. Maybe it'd help to make a hint for newbies who haven't chosen a race yet that reminds and tells them the syntax. Though I have no idea how to exclude those who want to stay human from this.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    You can actually choose your race earlier than they prompt you to. I think during Lachesis, at least.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.

• Aerdiya said:
    Though I have no idea how to exclude those who want to stay human from this.
    Simple enough, prompt them to explicitly select human.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Or having everyone start out as some new non-race with terrible stats, indicated as having a "race in flux."
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Aerotan said:

Aerdiya said:
    Though I have no idea how to exclude those who want to stay human from this.
    Simple enough, prompt them to explicitly select human.
    Oh...that didn't occur to me *hides in a corner*
  • edited December 2013

Everiine said:
    "True MUD/MUSH players aren't looking for the super easy/being hand fed. The game is basically a story you can live and alter as you go. The new players that are asking to dumb it down completely are usually the players that won't stick around. That is why there are playstations, xboxes, and pc games that give them what they need. This is a niche game and there still a decent market/player base for this kind of gaming. Afew minor improvements and open minds will help this game flourish."

There are not enough ways to click AGREE.
    This is why the combat overhaul scares me.  I'm gathering that there will be fewer afflictions, and things will be simplified.  Some of us like complication. Not that it isn't needed, and it's in many, very capable hands. 

About not being able to choose a race during creation? Complete fail. It would have been better to simply choose a faction and then get an error message if a disallowed race was chosen.  
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    ^x10

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • (Note: this is not permission to derail the thread. If people want to discuss this, feel free to make a new thread, and I'll move the relevant posts over to it.)
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Defaulting to human is a problem. A "Shapeless/Vague form" race for the purposes of the introduction would be a good move, I think.
  • edited December 2013
    Enyalida said:
    Defaulting to human is a problem. A "Shapeless/Vague form" race for the purposes of the introduction would be a good move, I think.
    This is something I can bring up in discussion, but no promises.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    But there are also going to be plenty of people who are going to say, "Oh, hey, this looks interesting and different, I have no idea what it is but I'll give it a try anyway".

That was me! I clicked a random add on facebook I think it was one day, and it lead me right into the game. No trawling through the website or even discovering the storyline, never played a MUD before....and I was hooked. 4 years later, I'm still around. If we only cater to the people that have played MUDs forever, we'll never expand our playerbase.

I have yet to make an alt with the new change to race selection, but I really like the thinking behind it. I think the idea someone mentioned of having a hint show up that they will get to select race soon during the intro is a good one to soothe any worries people have in starting.

• Lavinya said:
    I think the idea someone mentioned of having a hint show up that they will get to select race soon during the intro is a good one to soothe any worries people have in starting.
    I thought I had posted about this earlier, but apparently I imagine things. Either way, I'll be adding something to this effect over the weekend.
  • edited January 2014
    Dear Abby,

Hello. I am a complete newbie to MUDs even though I was fairly active in the BBS scene decades ago. I wanted to try something different and found myself here. I have played for about three hours and have gone back and forth through the golden portal several times and am now stuck; I have absolutely no idea what I am supposed to be doing now. I am getting really tired of killing dirty finks. The last thing I did was put a black stone in a lava pool in Stone Mountain where it turned into a crystal ball that I can't seem to do anything with.

I have chatted with a few people in CGT but have only shared space with two people who were both 3000%-4000% mightier than I. One glared at me. This game feels lonely compared to my more recent experiences in Guild Wars and Dungeons & Dragons Online.

Think I will go track down that site that had a sh*t-ton of .z5 games and play in Frotz for awhile.

Regards,
    Lost in Lusternia

P.S. I was really into the game for the first two hours or so.
  • Amsgar said:
    Dear Abby,

Hello. I am a complete newbie to MUDs even though I was fairly active in the BBS scene decades ago. I wanted to try something different and found myself here. I have played for about three hours and have gone back and forth through the golden portal several times and am now stuck; I have absolutely no idea what I am supposed to be doing now. I am getting really tired of killing dirty finks. The last thing I did was put a black stone in a lava pool in Stone Mountain where it turned into a crystal ball that I can't seem to do anything with.

I have chatted with a few people in CGT but have only shared space with two people who were both 3000%-4000% mightier than I. One glared at me. This game feels lonely compared to my more recent experiences in Guild Wars and Dungeons & Dragons Online.

Think I will go track down that site that had a sh*t-ton of .z5 games and play in Frotz for awhile.

Regards,
    Lost in Lusternia

P.S. I was really into the game for the first two hours or so.
    did it tell you to take the crystal and then take it to the ant queen? also, NEWBIE channel is there to help you when you get stuck like that.
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited January 2014
    Dear Amsgar;

Hi!

Welcome to Lusternia and the Sentinels. I play your guildmaster, Entrias, and I'm likely the most Awesome helpful person in your guild that is active. If you happen to stick around, feel free to prod me a bit and I'll help you out. There's little more in Lusternia that I enjoy more than helping new people find a reason to stick around.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited January 2014
    Arimisia said:
    Amsgar said:
    /snip
    did it tell you to take the crystal and then take it to the ant queen? also, NEWBIE channel is there to help you when you get stuck like that.
    it would not let me take ball, ball341, crystal, or crystal ball. it says, "I see no crystal to take"

EDIT: (University): Kiradawea says, "In that case, you should be able to GET BALL FROM POOL."
    Yep, played all those text adventures in the past, and I never realized to try adding 'FROM POOL.' Shame on me.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Lusternia does take some getting used to, and perhaps at times, it is hard for some of us to remember that we were newbies once, too. I'd say try and stick it out... see if you can complete the tour (if you haven't already), and then ask around the city, see what you can focus on doing past newbiehood and then decide, because the newbie tour in and of itself isn't all that great of an experience in regards to everything that you can do in Lusternia.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Yeah. Text-based adventures do take some getting used to, and Lusternia is really difficult as far as text-based games go. But there's just. so. much. in this game. The amount of things you can do is just incredible.

Like maybe.

Building a spaceship
    Or writing a sonnet
    Or breeding up a perfect beast
    Devising a system for measuring time units
    Or synchronizing libraries
    Killing tigersharks
    Stretching political alliances
    Or wailing away on violins

Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Believe it or not, the game isn't about giving rocks to ants or anything else you do in your first moments playing. -.-
    I used to make cakes.

• Amsgar said:
    it would not let me take ball, ball341, crystal, or crystal ball. it says, "I see no crystal to take"

EDIT: (University): Kiradawea says, "In that case, you should be able to GET BALL FROM POOL."
    Yep, played all those text adventures in the past, and I never realized to try adding 'FROM POOL.' Shame on me.
    I am glad you finally got it figured out :) rule of thumb, any time you have to probe another item for the item you are looking for (like this case the pool, or maybe your backpack or anything else!) it will be take <item> from <whatever it is you had to probe>
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• edited January 2014
    Mn, some thoughts on this. I recently brought a friend into the game, brand new to MUDs etc. He was really really super duper excited about the races. But then when we were in the shiny new Newton everything about the the quests and the Fates just seemed to bug out and he rerolled at least three-four times over the course of  3 rl days just to see if it would do any better. There was a point where he got super frustrated because he was stuck in Newton, but he couldn't do anything to get the race he had been so excited about, and almost gave the game up for lost (as in it seems nice but nah I won't be coming back). Fortunately I remembered the speedup command and that finally pushed him through to the shadow. I understand the need to make the intro more transparent, but I'd still vote for allowing Races to be chosen off the bat. Also, I might be alone on this but I kind of miss the *clickity clack* and the tapestry of life part of the intro. It seemed more immersive, and my selling point to my friend was the game being immersive. I'm a little on the fence about the pick 1 pick 2 quest dialogue, if written well, it will be awesome, in comparison to Imperian which I hopped on recently to compare it's lightyears better for sure.

An idea for Race selection: perhaps something like a mirror or a gallery of mirrors/living tapestries you look into with a reflection/pattern that speaks... or something like this, taken shamelessly from the intriguing but unfortunately p2p Dragon Realms mu* lore site.

The Dwarf figurine speaks: "From the bones of the earth did the gods form us, the Dwarves, children of the mountains and the hardiest of all the sentient creations. What we lack in agility and height we make up for in strength and stamina. We are steadfast, enduring, and fatigue rarely troubles us. The earth cradles us; it is where we prefer to make our homes. When we set ourselves on a path none can sway us -- other than ourselves."

You regard the form of the Dwarf figurine. Short and wide, a long beard descends from its face in many curls and braids. The eyes regard you unflinchingly, without fear or regret. Strength and power reside in this form.

A deep, growling voice emits from the figure: "Rakash I am, the hunter who is happiest when she is with her pack. We live for the family, fight for the family, die for the family. No king can break us up, no god can destroy us. In ones and twos we may sometimes travel, but our happiness is complete when we are. The other races try to understand us, but cannot, for in their minds they are examining us in the singular. We discovered the truth long ago when we learned that we are strongest when united. Strength have I, and endurance, and speed. Whether I hunt with steel or with spell, all that matters is that I do what I do for the pack!"

The Rakash is of moderate height and seems to shift between a humanoid with a furry coat and a short snout and a Human with deep, soulful eyes. Both forms gaze at you with a combination of strength and loyalty, and there is a down-to-earth sensibility about this race present in only a few of the others. In its half-Human form, a short tail sweeps down behind the Rakash, stopping just short of the ground it stands on, and its ears are tall and curved, constantly twitching at the smallest sounds.

The Halfling figurine speaks, a bubbly, high-toned voice that is overrun with jovial humor. "Clever Halfling am I! Strength I have not, and height I have not, and really, I'm not all that skilled in magic -- but clever, clever, clever is this one! We are the curious, the ingenious, the solver of riddles! Always have we an eye on the humor in things, for life is too short to be spent on brooding! Lanival gave all the lands to us, so all places are ours. Our curiosity untangles the knots that bind and finds that which is not yet lost. What we lack in power and height we make up with skill and accuracy and dexterity."

Though short -- half the size of the Human and smaller than the Dwarves -- the Halfling radiates a confidence, merriment, and awareness of the world that makes up for size. Bright eyes twinkle with suppressed laughter.

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Would definitely love to see a bit more definition to the races of Lusternia (both in terms of exterior look and mindset)... and yes, that Dragon Realms thing does seem quite interesting with short excerpts spoken by a representative of each race, and they could even be famous historical figures that will give new players a bit of information regarding the lore of the game as well.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Is the original intro available to play or read in any form?
    I used to make cakes.

• Hi

I am having some trouble with the HTML 5 client.  I am an aslaran in The Institute of Hallifax.  I completed my collegium tasks half way through the healing task, it came up with a message stating that I had completed my collegium.  I now dont have access to the COLLEGE functions.  But the HTML 5 client is still tracking the Healing quest that I was part way through.  I cant work out how to clear this.  I know that I can use QUEST UNTRACK (quest name) to untrack any of the quests in newton etc, but I cant work out how to stop tracking this quest.  

I know that I could go back and try and complete it, but since I have finished my collegium, I am not sure if this will work either. 

I am not asking for help with the actual quest - if I have to complete it, then I will work that out on my own, but all I want to do is remove it from the quests box on the right of my HTML5 client.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited April 2014
    You should be able to use GUILD in place of COLLEGE, at least in the instance of GUILD STATUS to list your tasks. As for the client quest box, I unfortunately have no idea how to go about fixing that...when I'm forced to use it, I'm constantly tracking a village quest that I had already completed, but never received credit for due to a bug. Finishing the quest may get rid of it.

Sorry!
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."