Sealbearers and participation in Ascension events

Hello!

So, I had a question, which is primarily directed to Admin for clarification... but just wanted to be sure this wasn't all made up in my head.

Last year, I won Nature, which was the second event in the Ascension trials. Because I was then a Sealbearer, apparently I wasn't allowed to then participate in later Seal events (such as Knowledge and Justice). I remember being told I couldn't join, or perhaps I was mechanically unable to join...? The only one I could join was War.

This concerned me somewhat, because those who won Seals later on in the Ascension trials (for example, in Life, Death, Beauty) were able to participate in previous events and have the opportunity to earn credits. Hypothetically (this would never happen), one could come second in every trial leading up to Life, netting 3,500 credits (it wouldn't happen, but it's *possible*), then win the Life medallion. Conversely, if someone won Chaos, they would be more or less excluded from the opportunity to place in events following Chaos (with, as far as I am aware, the exception of War -- as was the case last year).

Is someone able to clarify if this is actually the case? 

Thanks so much!

Best Answers

Answers

• That doesn't seem very fair, considering there are people aiming to win certain Seals that 'just so happen' to be held later than the earlier ones. The order never changes, but there are those who hope to win Beauty or Death, and have no interest in winning any other Seal. Why should that desire put those who want to win Nature or Knowledge at a disadvantage, and preclude them from participating in events that continue for two months?

Is there an Admin who can confirm whether this practice will continue this Ascension?
  • After winning a seal, it makes sense that you should stand back and let others have an opportunity to win future ones. The more the ascension progresses, the less likely you are to get a seal, so there is a definite advantage to getting one early. I'm not sure how smart it is to go for just one challenge--seems pretty limited and your odds greatly improve by trying in multiple challenges. Anyway, medallions have a credit value of 3000cr (2000cr tradein value) so I don't think it is hugely unfair that you can't get more credits for other events (except for war where you help others in a team). Anyway, if you win a medallion, congratulations and enjoy your win! Now, let others have a chance!
  • Suggestion for next year: Don't award credits / seals until the end. And make each person only eligible for one award, based on their highest ranking. So someone who wins a seal gets just that, someone who ranked place 2 in one and place 3 in another would get the credits for place 2, and whoever is place 4 in the latter challenge would get 'moved up' to place 3. That way a lot more people people would stand to win something, meaning a fairer distribution, yet there is still incentive to do well in every challenge. It's a bit more calculation but you can easily spreadsheet that or even write a quick award calculator.

Thoughts?
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    The only issue is what if someone wins two events, it doesn't seem right for a seal to go to second place after all. It's suppose to be whoever is the champion of #sealtype.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    I agree, TA's should be allowed to play again.
  • Rialorm said:
    Suggestion for next year: Don't award credits / seals until the end. And make each person only eligible for one award, based on their highest ranking. So someone who wins a seal gets just that, someone who ranked place 2 in one and place 3 in another would get the credits for place 2, and whoever is place 4 in the latter challenge would get 'moved up' to place 3. That way a lot more people people would stand to win something, meaning a fairer distribution, yet there is still incentive to do well in every challenge. It's a bit more calculation but you can easily spreadsheet that or even write a quick award calculator.

Thoughts?
    the problem with doing this is you then create the situation where groups can lock out certain individuals. Hey, take seal A instead of B, since then so-and-so won't get a seal and your friend does.

If you want to wait for a seal that's a gamble.

That said, I wouldn't mind some randomness and beauty could actually be the first seal. Hell beauty could be their favorite over a year.

I'd also like to see chaos completely at a random time.

While we're at it, would be interesting if scry was off for some of the competitions. Nature for instance.
  • Steingrim said:
    While we're at it, would be interesting if scry was off for some of the competitions. Nature for instance.
    Actually having scry, thirdeye, etc. disabled for some of the competitions could make things very interesting... That and I'm not sure why they wouldn't be off for a scavenger hunt anyways!
  • Morkarion said:
    The only issue is what if someone wins two events, it doesn't seem right for a seal to go to second place after all. It's suppose to be whoever is the champion of #sealtype.
    How would it if winning a seal = no more participation?

I do like the random seal order suggestion also, may be a lot more simple to implement than mine. 
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Rialorm said:
    Morkarion said:

I do like the random seal order suggestion also, may be a lot more simple to implement than mine. 
    Ah, I assumed by your suggestion that you could enter multiple contests even after winning a seal. I read it as one person could in theory, take all 9.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Morkarion said:
    Rialorm said:
    Morkarion said:

Ah, I assumed by your suggestion that you could enter multiple contests even after winning a seal. I read it as one person could in theory, take all 9.
    Considering my train of thought was to spread out credits more, that would be horribly counter-productive :D