Weather Instruments

QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
I'm annoyed by the fact that I can't tell what the exact temperature is. So I thought of this:

Artisan Skills
Thermometers - Craft a device to tell the temperature.
Anemometers - Craft a device to measure the wind speed and air pressure.

Tinkering Skills
Anemometers - Enchant anemometers.
Slipstream* - Reduce the effect off high winds on your movement.
Syntax: TURN <anemometer>

Comments

• Qistrel said:
    I'm annoyed by the fact that I can't tell what the exact temperature is. So I thought of this:

Artisan Skills
    Thermometers - Craft a device to tell the temperature.
    Anemometers - Craft a device to measure the wind speed and air pressure.

Tinkering Skills
    Anemometers - Enchant anemometers.
    Slipstream* - Reduce the effect off high winds on your movement.
    Syntax: TURN <anemometer>
    Doesn't Forecast (in environment) tell the temp and wind speed/air pressure?
  • Not exactly. It's an approximation.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    It doesn't tell you the exact temperature, only things similar to 'it is quite mild', 'it is uncomfortably hot', and 'it is so cold you must expend great effort to move'. The same for wind speed, and I don't see anything about air pressure. Only the shamanism forecast shows you the exact measurements in degrees Fahrenheit, etc.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Aww, Forecast used to tell temperature :( .
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Aww, Forecast used to tell temperature :( .
    Then it became relevant :b
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Can we just delete weather already.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited December 2012
    It tells exact data to shamans! Right down to knots of windspeed! However, the different descriptors are fairly narrow ranges. Talk to a shaman to get a good idea of what they are.
  • Artisans need more things to craft, and having something to dampen the effect wind speed has on movement would be great.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • I can't agree more. For heat/cold, there's clothing. Rain/snow/hail doesn't affect movement AFAIK. Wind is the only thing that affects movement that can't be reduced in any way (other than possibly the Demi-power).
    edited December 2012
    Hmm, yeah. I wonder how a wind-shield would work though? Possibly a tinker item that ticks down faster depending on how high the wind is, mitigating some amount of it. You'd either need to feed it a relatively high number of charges, or get a new one. It'd be using clockwork-magic to divert the wind as it gets close to your body, with the force it's absorbing being counter-acted by the charges.

Of course, shaman weather should override it! Shaman weather slowing movement speeds is really a huge part of what weather means to them, and it's pretty costly to get strong weather going in a demesne!
  • Or just make it like waterwalk and make it a rub-able defense. You don't have your ring of waterwalking drain charges when you walk across the inner sea, so why should this drain charges?

I agree that it shouldn't work against shaman weather, but I suppose an easy way to counteract that would be to give shaman wind spells the secondary ability of stripping the anemometer defense.
    edited December 2012
    Because totally negating it for no cost isn't really in the spirit of the weather. Much like they made it so that the tea defense against heat is short duration and need to be re-applied, and clothing will hinder you in the incorrect temperature. I just think it'd be more likely to fly if it used a unique mechanic that represented a cost (even if not a major one).

Shamans only have one really windy type ability, tornado. Nothing else REALLY makes use of windspeed except for Lightning (just damage, not actually a much higher dps than cudgel) in conjunction with high precip and heat. The weather takes up a huge part of the skillset and generally has only situational effect, besides unlocking abilities!
  • So instead of totally negating it, just lower it by some percentage. Half sounds good to me. You could even add in that it wouldn't have any effect in an enemy druid's demesne for all I care.
  • Right. My point was that it should be easy enough to have the defense be stripped in some way. The heat-resistance drink isn't too relevant because besides Skarch, you rarely meet areas where you are slowed down by the heat even while naked. However high winds appear everywhere and are very common in the mountains especially. And there is nothing fun by feeling like you're trying to swim through syrup when you're circling the basin for bards and scholars.

While the weather movement effect may be vital for Shamans, it's just an annoyance everywhere else and there really ought to be efficient ways to bypass that. Clothes for cold, lemonade for warmth and magic wind-shields for wind.