IMPORTANT IRONCON 2014 UPDATE

Comments

• Morkarion said:
    Steingrim said:
    Arimisia said:
    I am with Morkarion, it is just too far from me from the east coast and even driving isn't an option which would be preferable (wee road trip!) . and not only that, Anthrocon is a bit before it and that take a good bit of $$ as well =\ and that one is a stone throw away.
    I just wanted to point out it will be cheaper for most people to fly to Vegas than to nearly any other place someone would pick. That's why so many organizations pick vegas. Even if that were not, or is not the case rooms will almost always be cheaper. And even if that were not, food and alchohol is very cheap.
    Nope, flying cross Atlantic to the east coast is cheaper than flying cross atlantic and then cross states to the west coast.
    The obvious solution, then, is to avoid the Atlantic and fly straight to the west coast.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • Las Vegas isn't the west cost. It's a tourist city.
    Morkarion said:
    Steingrim said:
    Arimisia said:
    I am with Morkarion, it is just too far from me from the east coast and even driving isn't an option which would be preferable (wee road trip!) . and not only that, Anthrocon is a bit before it and that take a good bit of $$ as well =\ and that one is a stone throw away.
    I just wanted to point out it will be cheaper for most people to fly to Vegas than to nearly any other place someone would pick. That's why so many organizations pick vegas. Even if that were not, or is not the case rooms will almost always be cheaper. And even if that were not, food and alchohol is very cheap.
    Nope, flying cross Atlantic to the east coast is cheaper than flying cross atlantic and then cross states to the west coast.
    Actually, yes. It's far cheaper for people to fly to Vegas than almost anywhere else thanks to Vegas' tourist status. Hotels are also much cheaper. The real money sink is in taxis and gambling.

It was pretty obvious @Steingrim wasn't talking about overseas travel.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Aison said:
    Las Vegas isn't the west cost. It's a tourist city.
    Morkarion said:
    Steingrim said:
    Arimisia said:
    Actually, yes. It's far cheaper for people to fly to Vegas than almost anywhere else thanks to Vegas' tourist status. Hotels are also much cheaper. The real money sink is in taxis and gambling.

It completely depends on your starting location (and time of year); personally, I can fly to New York City for $150 (or less, I've done it for $90 once) round-trip.  My tickets to Vegas were significantly pricier (having bought them in advance, not last minute, of course).  DC is also far more accessible for me.  For a flight completely cross country it doesn't really matter if it's a "tourist city".

I will agree that the hotel I stayed at was reasonably priced; the bulk of my trip expense was spent on airfare.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Aison said:
    Las Vegas isn't the west cost. It's a tourist city.
    Morkarion said:
    Steingrim said:
    Arimisia said:

But I was, which is what Arimisia was agreeing with when he quoted her. It costs me far more to fly to Vegas than places on the east coast.

Would be nice if people took into consideration not everyone here lives in America, when telling us we're wrong with what costs less and costs more.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Obligatory "BLAH BLAH BLAH MURKA BLAH BLAH BLAH CENTER OF THE PLANET BLAH BLAH BLAH  DON'T LIKE IT THEN GEEET OUT" comment.  Kidding, of course, but I couldn't help myself and it seemed funnier when I started typing it.

But onto something slightly more serious, how many Gloomies/Lusternians in general are looking at showing up at this point?  Going for the sake of meeting Aetolians doesn't sound like any fun XD
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    You are going to have Estarra I am sure, a number of Lusternia volunteers, and I believe a few repeats from last year. They are all great fun to hang out with, so if you can afford it I would say go ahead. :)

• Tarkenton said:
    Obligatory "BLAH BLAH BLAH MURKA BLAH BLAH BLAH CENTER OF THE PLANET BLAH BLAH BLAH  DON'T LIKE IT THEN GEEET OUT" comment.  Kidding, of course, but I couldn't help myself and it seemed funnier when I started typing it.

But onto something slightly more serious, how many Gloomies/Lusternians in general are looking at showing up at this point?  Going for the sake of meeting Aetolians doesn't sound like any fun XD
    Quite a few people at the last meet were Lusternians. It's a wonder the mansion didn't burn down with all the fabulous.

@Markarion Don't worry, we haven't forgotten our overseas people. But you must realize you are playing a a game predominantly played by Americans. Some of us can't give travel tips and tricks for our overseas comrades. Steingrim wasn't being malicious with his comment, he was just trying to explain why these things tend to happen in Vegas. Just saying 'NOPE UR WRONG' isn't very helpful, is it?
    No, but telling someone they're wrong and that flying to Vegas would be cheaper for them, and when they explain that they're coming cross Atlantic and why the whole internal flight discussion is irrelvant, to have someone go "No it is cheaper, clearly we weren't talking overseas" when the original person was isn't very helpful either.

It was based on my comment and feedback that for me the flight alone is simply more than I can afford and why I can't go this year, the OP was a comment about low ticket sales and I was giving feedback on my personal situation. And then gave a reminder that not all of us are from America, so the whole commentary about internal flights and where's cheaper (which as Xenthos pointed out is a rather moot argument depending on where you live) was irrelevant.

I didn't say anyone was being malicious though, infact I don't think anyone was. You could do with putting less words in other people's mouths, thanks.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Anyway this is getting horribly sidetracked.

Would I love to attend IRE Con one year? Yep, I really really would, won't be this year because aforementioned reasons.

Also it'd be interesting to know what the player location breakdown is now, there's a lot of Aussies and Europeans playing these days.

• To hopefully help people who are on the iffy point of coming or not:

I went to IronCon last year representing one of the few players from the first IRE that I played, and I had such a blast that the moment I heard that tickets were being sold, I bought one. Didn't have to think twice. I'm not much of a drinker, but with the pool, the karaoke (and the DDR and whatnot this year), and the events and meet-and-greet... Goodness, there's so much that happens that it's just so much fun to be a part of.

It was actually from IronCon and speaking to some of you amazing Lusternians that brought me here. A bit late, but better late than never, I hope!

It's a great time. Yes, the price jump made me wince, but it's so worth it. So please, buy your tickets if you want to come. It's well worth it! :D

• Morkarion said:
    Anyway this is getting horribly sidetracked.

Would I love to attend IRE Con one year? Yep, I really really would, won't be this year because aforementioned reasons.

Also it'd be interesting to know what the player location breakdown is now, there's a lot of Aussies and Europeans playing these days.
    Go go Aussie Ironcon!!!!

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• But... an Aussie Ironcon would result in at least 15 deaths by camel!
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    There's camel's in Australia?
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Not just any old camels. Feral camels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_feral_camel

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    IIRC, Australia has the world's largest population of camels, feral or otherwise. They export them to the middle east.
    Pure stock, unlike the extremely inbred camels of the middle east. Fun facts!

• Nothing dangerous in Australia. My kids play with snakes all the time and have never been bitten.

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Ah yes, Australia. Where the spiders are so big they should have HP bars =p

That being said, on the subject of finding out a rough breakdown of how many people are from which country, I'm planning on making a census (got the OK for it from the Oneiroi, though naturally it will be a voluntary effort on my part and won't be advertised in-game, info about it will simply need to be spread here on the forums and through word of mouth.)

On the subject of Ironcon, chances are very small of me being able to attend, but are not absolutely zero, so keeping my fingers crossed.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'd be more afraid of the drop bears than the camels.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Ieptix said:
    AFAIK, Feb. 15 is the deadline that determines whether IronCon will happen.
    So the 15th has come and gone - is there any definitive word as yet. International travellers really need to start making plans!

• Lavinya said:
    Ieptix said:
    AFAIK, Feb. 15 is the deadline that determines whether IronCon will happen.
    So the 15th has come and gone - is there any definitive word as yet. International travellers really need to start making plans!
    I haven't heard anything, but I should imagine word will come down some time early this week.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
    ANNOUNCE NEWS #2301
    Date: 2/18/2014 at 20:06
    To  : Everyone
    Subj: IronCon Cancelled

We're very sorry, but we didn't meet the ticket sales we hoped for and
    have to cancel IronCon. We ended up with 40 tickets sold, and we needed
    minimum 50 to risk not getting back the substantial deposit we made on
    the house rental. We're going to try to aim for IronCon 2015 and make it
    an every-other-year kind of event.

Anyone who paid needs to email matt@ironrealms.com, from the email
    address you signed up for IronCon with, letting Matt know whether you
    would prefer:

o A full refund.

o Credits. In the case of the normal ($150) ticket purchase we'll give
    you 500 credits. In the case of having bought a premium ticket ($200)
    we'll give you 650 credits. That's actually more credits than you'd get
    for that amount, but we want to reward people who chose to back IronCon.

In either case, you will keep the 100 bound credits you received for
    buying a ticket.

Penned by My hand on the 15th of Tzarin, in the year 376 CE.

Sorry to the guys hoping to go :(

• ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Please move the 2015 one to somewhere on the east coast of the USA. :(
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Ssaliss said:
    Or better yet, Europe!
    If Europe, Iceland has my vote.
  • Mmm, Iceland. Or Ireland.
    Highly disappointed! Having done the tricky juggling of organising babysitters and flights we'll be travelling to the US anyway (Here we come, Hawaii) so the likelyhood of ever being able to do our 'once in a lifetime trip' another year for Ironcon are next to none. Sad, sad panda :(

• edited February 2014
    Totally come to Ireland!!!!!!!!!! YES. Ireland!!!! I can *totally* do Ireland!!!

EDIT: As a side note, I'm totally bummed for the people who did want to go this year - it's a really big shame :( I was going to go, but we're already going to Vegas in September, so I can't save for two trips, it's expensive enough for one! Maybe I can go for the one next year though!! 
  • Aww, all the waffling that I went through before I bought my ticket was for nothing! Maybe next year then! :P
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Well...you did technically end up with free credits.  I had debated getting a ticket, but with tuition and a new baby on the way in August, I just couldn't justify the cost and was going to try and be the "hang out outside the con on the Strip and be the designated driver for people" guy.