Newbie Tips

Hi!

So this week I'm going to be adding a tip system for newbies. Think the sort of tips you get when opening complex programs like IDEs or Civ V or whatever, with which we'd display one at login and also allow players to browse through them at their leisure. For this to be effective, we need a fairly large bank of tips so we're not displaying the same 5 over and over. As such, I'm reaching out to the playerbase for ideas!

The sorts of hints I'm looking for are relatively short, and helpful for newbies. Basic explanations of mechanics, useful commands, etc. For example, something like "Influencing offers a non-violent alternative for gaining experience. See HELP INFLUENCE to learn more!" or "PROBE is a useful command that lets you examine items and mobiles and detail." Stuff like that.

I plan on also having the ability for you all to add/suggest tips in-game once the system is in place (subject to admin review), but in the mean-time I have the forums. So, if you have any ideas for tips (be they a full tip text, or just a "hey you should mention X"), they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.

Comments

• ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    • Lachesis smiles broadly and says, "Putting emoticons at the end of your says can really spice up interaction. For more information, read the scroll HELP EMOTICONS."
    • Sometimes there are items hidden in rooms that you only have the hint of by reading a room's description. Aside from standard interactions, something special may happen if you turn, pull, push, or touch these hidden items!
    • Certain forms of tells allow you to recall what was said over a given aether. Try CTELLS FULL or TELLS FULL to recall some, yourself!
  • The DISCERNMENT skillset has many helpful skills for the inventory impaired, such as 'potionlist', 'keylist', and AUDIT for about-to-decay items!
  • The newbie guides have several macros that deal with everything from making sure you don't drown while you swim, to how you can describe yourself. I'll have to take a look at that not to repeat myself but.

"Sometimes there are items hidden in rooms that you only have the hint of by reading a room's description. Aside from standard interactions, something special may happen if you turn, pull, push, or touch these hidden items!"

That. So very much that. I would never have figured this out if someone hadn't told me that there are hidden probeable objects in the room longdescs.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • -You don't have to just say something. HELP SAY has lots of ways to jazz up your talking such as SINGing, CHANTing, ROARing. Try them out!

-Put actions into your words! Adding actions with brackets before you type your words will give it a nice little precursor action! Make your meaning clearer!

-Emotes allow you to do any sort of action! HELP EMOTES for how to grimace, move, examine something or do a little dance.
    Retired.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    -Looking for the map? Alerts on your vitals? Colours hard to see? All that and more can be altered to your gameplay style via the CONFIG command.

• Don't like killing? Try influencing! AB INFLUENCING BEGGING will help you get started!

Need to swim? Make sure you have an enchantment! Waterbreathe or waterwalk can help you a lot if you can't breathe underwater!
    Retired.
  • edited February 2014
    *snap-flourish Caffrey's Map* That is all.

I used to OOC message/tell this to newbies who particularly seemed to like exploring. Perhaps pointing them to the website is enough to get them to find it and other resources?
    Active: Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday EST

• edited February 2014
    Want to get right in on the action? Remember that you can learn up to 100 lessons at once. 

You do not have to walk everywhere. Use TELEPORT in Planar and move around swiftly.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Rialorm said:
    Want to get right in on the action? Remember that you can learn up to 100 lessons at once. 

You do not have to walk everywhere. Learn TELEPORT in Planar and move around swiftly.
    These days you get basic forms of teleport right off the bat (TELEPORT NEXUS/BOB/ARTIFACTS/COLLEGIUM), then there is the option of AdvancedTeleport later in, which lets you teleport to another person
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    Sakaki said:
    Rialorm said:

You do not have to walk everywhere. Learn TELEPORT in Planar and move around swiftly.
    These days you get basic forms of teleport right off the bat (TELEPORT NEXUS/BOB/ARTIFACTS/COLLEGIUM), then there is the option of AdvancedTeleport later in, which lets you teleport to another person
    I didn't know that actually, that's great to know.

As for a tip: Looking for something to kill? Remember to PROBE first before attacking, if its loyal to somebody you might want to ask if you're about to anger somebody you shouldn't.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • Sakaki said:
    Rialorm said:

Ah, I thought it was simply split up and moved down, I wasn't ingame to verify. Fixed my tip to reflect that. 
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    It was part of the very recent changes to the Newbie intro.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Want to know what's going on in your city or commune today? READLOG (orgname) to see who's new and what's what.

Many long lists can be modified with a search term. If you've got a cluttered inventory, II (string) will return only the items that match.

Forgotten something from your old Collegium days? The CGHELP index is always there for your reference.

Sometimes it's better to be Quick! QLook, QInventory, QWho, QSCore.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • Too many items in the room? Use INFO HERE (IH) to find the specifics!

To only search for a certain item in a room use IH <search term>.

Unsure if you can defeat something? HELP CONSIDER will help you find out how strong some denizens really are!
    Retired.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Need to get through a custom entrance/exit but can't figure out the syntax? ENTER EXIT works for most cases!

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Morkarion said:
    Need to get through a custom entrance/exit but can't figure out the syntax? ENTER EXIT works for most cases!
    Is it bad that I didn't know this one? 
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    For God realms you only need ENTER too!

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Not just god realms. Demon Lord pits too, for one.

• Regin has been crushed to death by a large elevator.
    [H:4204|M:4188|W:97%|P:10][dbk ex][14.65%]

-> Don't stand under elevators!

On a serious note: If an exit isn't where it -should- be, try LOOKing in the room description, to see if there's anything you might be able to PULL, TURN, PUSH or OPEN.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I love when people get hit by the elevator, because there are so many warnings you have to ignore in order to get hit :) .
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • edited February 2014
    Rykinia said:
    Regin has been crushed to death by a large elevator.
    [H:4204|M:4188|W:97%|P:10][dbk ex][14.65%]

-> Don't stand under elevators!

On a serious note: If an exit isn't where it -should- be, try LOOKing in the room description, to see if there's anything you might be able to PULL, TURN, PUSH or OPEN.
    Oh god, my failures have now been documented on the forums. And I was using the bathroom, I swear to god.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Everiine said:
    I love when people get hit by the elevator, because there are so many warnings you have to ignore in order to get hit :) .
    Uh, that depends. You only hear the warnings in the immediate rooms around the elevator. If you're in a rush, you can run into the elevator room and end up squished before you even hear a warning. Have had it happen to me just like that once. Got a warning, splat. Was like reading... "Elevator comi...." We died.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Not sure where to go? LANDMARKS has list of useful places and people you can click on or PATH WALK to.

This has made a huge difference to me. Also, HELP MAPS is referring to the CONFIG MAPVIEW ON Maps and not the side map.
  • Rogziel said:
    Not sure where to go? LANDMARKS has list of useful places and people you can click on or PATH WALK to.

This has made a huge difference to me. Also, HELP MAPS is referring to the CONFIG MAPVIEW ON Maps and not the side map.
    Definitely would like to see this. Would love to see new players really pushed to explore a ton. It was a big hurdle for me when I first started to not be afraid to really get out there.
  • If you need to know the time or date, simply type TIME or DATE! HELP GMT for more information.

Came about because Lusternia likes to use PST a lot (Thanks Obama) and I had to work out what time the ascension is GMT. (1 PM PST so for GMT it's 9 PM, pretty reasonable for europeans so thanks Admin!).
    Retired.
  • Not sure where else to put this, how do you change the credit card associated with the membership? The one I have no longer active and need to change to my new card

Thanks
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited March 2014
    Your best bet is to cancel your membership and start a new one with the new card.

You can cancel your membership online at http://www.lusternia.com/credits?page=cancel
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • But I lose the benefits dont I? Have to start back at first month?
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Nope! Once your membership expires, you actually have 30 IRL days to continue it before your benefits would start over. Once you renew it within those 30 days, it'll pick back up where you  had it.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Oh sweet
This discussion has been closed.