When I was a newbie...

2»

Comments

• Heh, when I was a n00b.....

Announce posts were in double digits. Barely.

Yrael was playing "terriorize the Serenwilde Newbies". Never forget how much that freaked me out, since I was teaching the newbie that day. And turned around and went all momma-bear on Yrael, bitching him out for terrorizing my newbie. AFTER I killed (completely on accident mind you) his demon.  That ended up being why we were friends for so many years, even after I made zal.

@Tactica Getting lost trying to find the damn tower for the guild newbie quests. For hours. I was right there with you. I actually had to have someone come find me lol. Cause I could not figure out where I was.

Heh, and @Xenthos. I think I was the other side of the forest hunting weevils with you :P
  • Aislynn is my first and only character here, but when I started was right around the pre-Ascension event last year. Zombies and craziness -everywhere-. I died in nearly every room I walked in to and couldn't understand what was going on. Every time I asked someone I was told very nonchalantly that... "It's Ascension."

The only reason I'm still here at all was because eventually @Xenthos must have either realized I was getting irritated or got sick of running for my corpse and started taking me with him to hunt. I'm still eternally grateful for that!

• edited February 2014
    When I was a newbie, I was in the top 10 of xp rankings in the level 30s-40s and I was one of the few people in the city able to solo a starsucker.

I started hunting rockeaters around level 10-15, because newton was so packed, and I'd hit once or twice and shield and go to sleep until I was able to take another couple of hits again.

Before village influencing started, Rockholm was my hunting grounds of choice. Then Magnagora got the village and they didn't think much of me hunting dwarves, but I went for it anyways. Then guards were added, and that was the end of that. Rockholm is the only village I've been enemied to, and I'm still enemied.

In group fights, all I'd do is spam dilute, because I'm a jerk like that.

I got a really high guildrank in the aquamancers because I convinced the leadership that we needed more people to have a certain guild priv (I forget which), so all... secretaries I think got promoted continuously for a while until we gave up. 

We also wanted to leave Celest and make our own nexus, because f those guys, but Lacostian assured us that making another nexus wasn't something that was going to work out :P

• Xeria said:
    Are you the one I gave a black and white woolen hat to? 

You remember! I loved that hat.  :x
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Aislynn said:

Aislynn is my first and only character here, but when I started was right around the pre-Ascension event last year. Zombies and craziness -everywhere-. I died in nearly every room I walked in to and couldn't understand what was going on. Every time I asked someone I was told very nonchalantly that... "It's Ascension."

The only reason I'm still here at all was because eventually @Xenthos must have either realized I was getting irritated or got sick of running for my corpse and started taking me with him to hunt. I'm still eternally grateful for that!

I was trying very hard during that Ascension event to include people.  I'm glad it worked out for you. :)
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    It's not even been two years since I made Mork, first character in Lusternia, first ever MUD. I think my biggest errors were not realising that the Aslaran in the Grey Moors and the Aslaran of Shanthmark are two entirely different groups and the second one isn't for bashing. Of course I didn't learn this till Draylor melted my face off (and for thinking I was a Morbo alt, never been so insulted!)

Then the time I discovered Faethorn and learned it connected to different elemental planes. I knew Celest's and Gaudiguch's were no go areas that I'd get killed on, but as a little Mag at the time, Halli's was cool.. Halli was what... water, right? I learned my mistake when Neos chased me off and enemied me to Celest, it was a brand that's stuck to this day.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• The first character I ever made was an Aquamancer and I think I created it during a wild nodes event or some sort of event. I say this because I remember being taken aside by some guild member so I could learn my lessons from them and then Eventru appeared out of nowhere and was like "What're you doing here? Why aren't you helping with <blah>?" I was completely confused by the disembodied voice and I was told by the guild member that I should be respectful or else the voice would do something bad to me. I took it super literally and failed to notice that it was mostly a joke and Eventru ended up saying something like "I see I'm causing more harm than good so I'll leave now."
    Also, I will always remember my first couple of experiences with PK (on Dynami) because @Sidd was really, really nice to me about it. Sidd and someone else were raiding Water and I was on Water at the time running around super scared. I eventually bumped into the two on the Mystic River but Sidd sent me a tell saying that they wouldn't attack me and I should come back when I'm stronger. Well, it was phrased in much less condescending way than that. Anyways, I next fought Sidd in an arena event and I thought I would be clever and try to put him to sleep. It obviously didn't work and, using my super attuned analytical skills, I determined that it didn't work because he had kafe up. It's not like his system would always put the kafe defense back up for him every time I used Sleep...
    Will you still love me when I am no longer young and fergalicious?
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Am I the only person whose first character wasn't an Aquamancer?
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • edited February 2014
    Everiine said:
    Am I the only person whose first character wasn't an Aquamancer?
    my first was a Nihilist!

When I was a newbie.. there were not bards or monk or bookbinding and artisan! The only place you could get potions was from serenwilde (if they were your friends) or Rowena because Glom wasn't exactly founded yet. I gained my first enemy status because is was a secretary in the Nihilits and celest decided Nihilist were conspiring against them or some such, never did quite understand that.
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• My first was Laysus, my second was a nihilist and my third a serenguard :P I only really stuck with Laysus though.
    Please note: I deliberately play a very flawed character. Just because he says or does something, does not mean I agree with it. He's a bit of a <censored> really
  • edited February 2014
    I got to learn the hard way what happens when you talk in front of the zombies in the Waste Facility (A place I still don't know how to get to)
    Thanks, @Idrazil X(
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Acrune said:

We also wanted to leave Celest and make our own nexus, because f those guys, but Lacostian assured us that making another nexus wasn't something that was going to work out :P

Ahahaha, that sounds like the Aquamancers I knew when I started!

I remember Tosha being the only real place to influence, and in spite of that, you could almost always have it to yourself.

Astral used to have no insanity, and way more gold.

Hunt all the pythons in the Basin and take them to Vesavir valley for 500 gold each! That was huge back then.

Gorgogs didn't used to enemy.

And no movement slowing effects on weather.

• edited February 2014
    I started the game back in very late 2003-early 2004 during the alpha testing phase. I was an early player tester for the Newton quests and some of the village quests. The only skill-set I had was Elementalism with cast blast, no potions and the gnomes used to take more than one hit to kill. After I'd finished playing around with Newton I worked on the Stewartsville quest and spent most of my time desperately running away from the assassin since I had no health potions, no armour and it killed me in two hits. I ended up as the first ranked player with a level of 40 just from questing. 

Once closed-beta came around and we got a lot more testers I was appointed leader of Magnagora and spent most of my time showing people how the game functioned, and finally getting to learn some skills! The week before the game opened for open-beta I went away on holiday for a week (I was living in China at the time) and came back to find my character had been deleted. Forgetting the game was opening I remade Chade and logged in to find out Lusternia had been open for just two hours (perfect timing eh?).

So when the game opened for real I ran off to Stewartsville and did the quest as a level 1, instantly shot up to level 18-19 and then farmed that quest for ages. I remember Visaeris getting cityfavoured by Raezon in Magnagora, becoming the first person to get a village influence skill in the entire game. He ran around and influenced an entire village (they were all open) as a level 15 player and won it over to Magnagora which started a mass protest by Serenwilde and Celest.

So everyone in the game was granted city-rank 2 by a curved scimitar and the entire game just zerged villages for the next 5 hours influencing as many as possible but REALLY slowly. 

The Star of Celest was the first org quest to be released, raising the Necromentate was delayed for a bit. Once it was up we realised we could use the Supernal corpses to attack the Star which led to the very first Supernal Raid.

I led the first supernal raid, we did it using the only cubix in the game that we'd borrowed from someone (can't remember who, possibly Val). The highest ranked player was level 50-55ish and we were getting messages sent to us by Fain with directions on how to get to them. First attempt was an absolute failure so we came back and did it again. Got the corpses and then had to figure out how to use them to power the Necromentate and attack the star, which was a load of fun. 

So many memories of the early days I could probably write an essay.

• When I was a novice,... a lot of things were the same as they are now.

I'm pretty sure I'm the last Harbinger novice that arrived before classflex was implemented, so there's that accomplishment at least. I think I arrived also near the time of Christmas so GNOME HUNTING YAY! I loved Ironbeard <3 Didn't have a clue about the whole red star thing. Didn't even know about the Demon Lords and Supernals then... I also learnt that I hated reading on Lusternia because THERE ARE SO MANY EFFING SCROLLS YOU HAVE TO READ.

Give me a few irl weeks and Haezon will write the musical 'When I was a newbie' with all sorts of jazz, dance and impromptu music and songs. 'When I was a newbie, times were good and simple, all I had to worry about was when I had a pimple' or 'I remember... when credits were cheap, and now I find them hard to keep, because they're expensive now, just a tiny bit, so I think the whole credit market is a pile of sh-' -INSTRUMENTAL DANCE NUMBER-
    Retired.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    edited February 2014
    My first character was an unaffiliated human, and I started playing around September 2007, just as I was starting high school. This was basically right after Tahtetso were released, and ingame maps weren't a thing just yet. I was stumbling around Newton and met someone from Celest with an N name, and he convinced me to join Celest and the Tahtetso. I joined the guild and was looking at the skills, but found it all confusing so I ended up deleting the character for maybe a month or less until I made Neos.

I forget when exactly, but after creating Neos, I bought a pony(this was when Riding was still a thing), for some reason I can't recall. Me and the pony were wandering about, when I somehow ended up in the UV and got pwnt by a fisher. After coming back to life, I realized my pony was gone and I had no clue where it was. Eldanien went and helped me track it down. I was usually always playing Lusternia while at the library after school, and sometimes at home when I could, but since I didn't have a comp of my own and family kept pulling me away, rp and such were constantly interrupted. I remember just constantly going up to Celestia to help "defend" and it was just me dying a bajillion times to idkwho. I refused to step onto aetherships back when Weakenings were a thing, because basically all I usually saw was them blowing up. My first tert choice was Dreamweaving and had a bad experience because I couldn't find my way back to my body and I only had the first skill, it took a lot of stumbling around to find it. I promptly forgot it and looked for another choice. I then picked up Telepathy because Munsia recommended it and it was the go to skillset at the time(this was pre- demesne and stat nerfs). I remember constantly being pulled up to the Celest rooftops by people like @Revan, when he was Ninjakari.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited February 2014
    I remember neos as a newbie because we started playing at roughly the same time.

(On my third alt, a furrikin tahtetso named Tetsu)
    I remember fain throwing ayridion out of the havens and shouting "foolish godling".

Ayridion was the tahtetso patron and had a custom tahto, Panacea of something. He came to a guild rite once and tidesweep'd the whole guild. I was amazed how quickly some of the guild stood up (I didn't know what springup was)
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • When I was a newbie I had trouble navigating so bashed to 75 in Glomdoring, and credits were only 10k. 

not much has changed in the former! ./shakecane
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Oh hey I remember that. What a jerk.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    My first ever character was an Aquamancer who renounced grace and started putting up firewalls, freezing the ground, and calling down hailstorms by the Pool of Stars. Someone started chasing me so I spammed firewalls while I ran away(I thought firewalls worked like they did in Ragnarok). Said someone successfully killed me, enemied me, then kicked me out, so I joined the Geomancers, vowing vengeance. I recall walking into Telrath and co doing some rp around an iron crown of thorns that really fascinated me, and got me hooked to designing.

My second character was a Hartstone druid and back then I used to use Portals to sneak into Glom's nexus. I felt like a pro spy doing the cool spywork of clinging to the Master Ravenwood Tree looking at Crow. I'd stay for a few seconds before going back the Moonhart. Then I got bolder and stayed for minutes until someone noticed and sent me a tell. I portalled out like a pro, feeling like a pro spy who just missed death by a hair.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited March 2014
    When I was a newbie, after tottering through a year or two of rolling characters with life expectancies typically less than an hour, I remember being absolutely confounded by the principles of planar travel. I drew myself a diagram, marking in the different places and methods of transversing, and decided once I had that down pat I could do -anything-.

Eritheyl was my first character to stick, mostly because of @Xypher scooping him up as a pseudo-protege and teaching him everything from history to debating! He was my father figure, which made it sort of awkward when Eri was eventually adopted by @Kreon. Xypher soon left Serenwilde, charging Eritheyl with taking on his mantle as Keyll Arrane. I did so, somewhat reluctantly as I had -no- idea how Lusternian politics or even guild structure were maintained, but it was the kickstarter to a continuing career in guild service - now my second-favorite part of the game, trailing closely behind designing.

Also, credits were becoming "expensive" at 8k on the market around that time.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • When I was first a newbie, I created a human aquamancer and quickly rerolled as merian aquamancer (didn't know about reincarnation) because I kept drowning and couldn't figure out how to prevent myself from drowning. I've been a merian aquamancer pretty much ever since. I was so excited to get my turtle and then ended up attacking it accidentally and couldn't figure out how to calm it so it killed me. I've had numerous deaths to crabs in Toronada, drowning, seagulls and many other lowbie creatures. 

I also remember a particular event when acid rain or a tsunami or something that effect washed over Celest and pretty much constantly killed all the newbies. 

I have a lot of silly memories from over the years of events.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I remember when Forren used to glare at people who stood around snuggling at the Pool. :(|)

We need that again.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I guess I never got the alt-bug. I've head the same character that I had since the beginning of time. When I was a newbie I don't think I EVER left Glomdoring. I bashed there, I RPed and Idled at the tree and every so often I would go the ethereal plane just because I could.

I think the one time I did leave the forest's borders, I was told that I could quest in a certain village. That actually made me sad. haha.