Cleaner Designs

edited December 2012 in Ideas
Two things that I'd like to suggest for designs:

1. Have a command where everyone can see the all of the designs available regardless of the trade they have taken. This would only be public designs and designs of cartels where said person is actually a member. It would work much like it does for the members of any trade. I think this would encourage people to ask for certain designs, and relieve most of the headache when trying to sew for individuals.

2. Clean up the current designs. To me designs are really messy and can be a headache to look at. There is just too much unneeded information on these. All this information is needed when a design is being created, but after it's just in the way.

I'd like to see some things trimmed so that a design that's submitted like this:

You carefully study a tailoring pattern.
Item: Hat  Type: Hats  Org: Public
Commodities: cloth 4 leather 2 silver 2 moonstone 2
Mortal Reviews: Allowed
Layer: NORMAL Bodyparts: head
IMPORTANT: The main noun MUST use one of these: HAT
Appearance:
a dashing black silver-plumed hat
Dropped:
A dashing black silver-plumed hat lies here.
Examined:
Secured at a roguish tilt by a moonstone clasp on a band of silver, a
silvery white plume tops this stylish, tri-cornered hat.
Comments:

Ends up looking like this:

You carefully study a tailoring pattern.
Item: Hat  Type: Hats  Org: Public
Commodities: cloth 4 leather 2 silver 2 moonstone 2
Appearance:
a dashing black silver-plumed hat
Dropped:
A dashing black silver-plumed hat lies here.
Examined:
Secured at a roguish tilt by a moonstone clasp on a band of silver, a
silvery white plume tops this stylish, tri-cornered hat.

The areas labelled for Mortal Reviews, Layer, Important, and Comments would all be removed after a design is put through. I'd only keep the line that says "Item: Hat  Type: Hats  Org: Public" because it often has the original designers name now and it's useful to know if it's a private or public design you are viewing.

This is more form than function, but it would be a nice change. There would be less need for editing if designs went into a book. If the first change was put into place then it would help those people as well.

Comments

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    1) If it'd be easy to allow everyone to see them, I'd be all for that. But if for some reason it would be a pain, I think I could live with things as they are now.

2) Well...aside from the mortal reviews bit, I do use that information! Layer is good for not making something and then realizing it interferes with another piece of clothing I'm wearing (last thing this needs is to be even harder to figure out beforehand), comments I use to note if a design is restricted to a particular individual, you can really never go wrong being reminded again what something's noun should be (I've totally looked back at older designs and had to typo them because it struck me after looking closer that they didn't actually use the right noun)...yeah, no, I don't think that information should be removed. It's good stuff!
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Yeah, I also have designs that note stuff in the comments I want to be seen.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    You can already see the designs in a cartel you are in, even if you don't have the trade:

CARTEL <cartel> CATALOGUE - to see all cartel designs
    CARTEL <cartel> CATALOGUE <design> - to review a cartel design

I wouldn't object to having some method of viewing public designs though. Something like has been discussed in other threads, allowing people to look up designs without having to revert to a pastebin link or similar.

Seeing all the info when you look at a design doesn't really bother me.

• I forgot about the cartel designs being seen by everyone. 

I think most of the information given is necessary for everyday use. In my experience with designing and sewing for my shop I never look at the extra information. I'm not saying that the information isn't useful, but things like layering would be almost more helpful in a help file then in the design itself so that people buying the clothes can know this information as well. Anyone able to design would be able to see the noun and if this were also in a help file more people could help out with the typos (even if they never come up with a way to view public designs).

My biggest issue with the designs as they are is that designs get pushed through no matter what's in the comment field. Most of the time there is nothing. Sometimes, like Phoebus said, there is a restriction on it for a certain individual (which could be put in a help scroll in the cartel). I don't mind this so much, but the reviewers approve designs when the comments are filled with information the designer is trying to communicate to the person approving the design. The same thing happens when the person submitting the design forgets to erase the comments after resubmitting the design. Sometimes these comments can be just as long as the description of the design!  Also comments like who the design belongs to, or which order it belongs to, should not be on public designs. Yes, I could typo all of these (there are TONS), but I don't know if they would be fixed since they might not be considered a typo, and that's a lot of work for those working on typos. This is why I feel like comments should be restricted to communication during the design process, but not necessarily kept after the design has gone through.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Fania said:
    but the reviewers approve designs when the comments are filled with information the designer is trying to communicate to the person approving the design.
    Hate, hate, HATE that. So embarrassing.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
    You can delete the comments from the design AFTER it has been approved. I've done so myself!

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Not if you're not a Trademaster! :B

Also, does this hold true for public designs?
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
    Ask your friendly trademaster to delete the comments? And honestly I'm not sure for public designs. Must research,