Uncomfortable Requests

TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
edited March 2014 in Common Grounds
Today I was asked in-character to do something that I was exceptionally uncomfortable with on an OOC level.

I do my best to avoid OOC drama. This means that sometimes I have to get out of situations where people on either side are invoking metagaming (both as a weapon and as a defence). Don't get me wrong, I love roleplaying drama. But that's just it. I love roleplaying drama. Sometimes what you're doing isn't roleplaying.

I got ordered to lead an investigation into something that I know involves this sort of issue. I have been forced to refuse ICly, because I know what will happen if I pursue it: I will investigate and before too long someone will invoke metagaming. And I have no IC response to this. How could I?

I'm not good at confrontation, and I accept that a lot of the failing here may be in me for that reason. But I wanted to post this here both as an OOC explanation to those involved as to why I have had to refuse a direct order that Tacita normally would have carried out to the letter, and as a plea to people to just...just stop doing whatever it is you're doing that has riled this up. I don't know the details and I don't care, it's not about pointing fingers at anyone. Just please - forget about whatever's happened and go back to roleplaying.

I am not posting this because I want to make a fuss. I just want my in-character reaction to be better explained by this one.

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    When in doubt, moar Maerad.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Sometimes the hardest RP/action is the most rewarding RP/action.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    When in doubt, moar Tacita.
    Fixed that for you ;)
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
    Rialorm said:
    Shaddus said:
    When in doubt, moar (who Rialorm used to play)
    Fixed that for you ;)
    One of the hardest things in Lusternia is standing up to your divine and being respectful while basically saying, "I'm not interested in doing this for You, I'm sorry". I had a bit of that a month or two ago, and it snowballed into quitting the order. :(

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited March 2014

edit: double post :(

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Shaddus said:
    One of the hardest things in Lusternia is standing up to your divine and being respectful while basically saying, "I'm not interested in doing this for You, I'm sorry". I had a bit of that a month or two ago, and it snowballed into quitting the order. :(

Standing up to Divine in general isn't (mostly) easy, Viravain approached Karlach on a very sensitive subject a couple of weeks back, and sticking to what my character should do, as opposed to what logic told the player would be more beneficial to do was a very difficult situation. The fact that option A also risked pissing off a Divine while option B was the road to great success™ meant when it done, while the decision for me was a no brainer, Karlach dictates his actions, not Matt, I sat there questioning if it really was the right thing to do.

Fortunately the situation has been sans drama, which I feel bad for because I assumed the worst in another character and how I was concerned they'd react. Which really isn't fair on them.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Celina said:
    Note to self: Don't ask Tacita to mudsex in the glom swamp again. Makes her uncomfortable. Manses only. Maybe Nocht's realm.
    You'll get swamp crotch like that.