Suggestions for element-aligned creatures?

KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
Ok, so as you are well aware at this point, I am working on a few different projects in varying stages of completion, with one project though, I am having a little trouble with coming up with some creatures that are traditionally aligned to an element (I always have the option of coming up with something completely unique, but I'd like my work to have some grounding in creatures that people already have a little familiarity with)

Earth: Golems
Fire: Ifrit
Water: Undine, Naiad or Mizuchi
Nature: Dryad
Air:  Sylph
Spirit (may change this one to Metal): May use Talos if changed to metal.
Light: (Need one, may need to create something unique since I don't really want to use 'angels' or 'demons' )
Shadow: Wraith, Dullahan or Reaper?  (Not sure which one to use!)
Chaos: (Need one, but may use Chimaeras)

Anyone got any suggestions, particularly for the ones I don't have one for, or that I am uncertain about? x_x
Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Spirit can be Ghost, Light can be Wisp, Chimaera sounds decent for chaos

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Light- Unicorns/Rainbow snakes? I would say that whatever shadow creatures are would affect what you choose for light... depending on the project. Spirit- Will'o'wisp?
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Wraiths are more shadow as opposed to Reapers which are more death aligned.

Chaos works well with multiple bodypart/multi head creatures, Hydras for example are certainly chaotic based.

As for Light, if you're avoiding the angelic/divine route all together, the only alternative I can immediately think of would be a creature similar to the Warcraft Naaru, beings of pure light, but not considered gods.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited March 2014
    I decided Chimaera would likely be the best option for Chaos since while they are not inherently 'evil' as such, they are traditionally an amalgamation of various creatures, often with no rhyme, reason or biological link whatsoever, so it seemed fitting.

I may go with wisps for spririt, I had thought as a potential option for Light being Ljósálfar  (Literally "Light Elves" from Old Norse mythology)

Morkarion said:
    As for Light, if you're avoiding the angelic/divine route all together, the only alternative I can immediately think of would be a creature similar to the Warcraft Naaru, beings of pure light, but not considered gods.
    Yeah, that is why I figured I might need to create something unique.

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    The Sphinx is, while not directly tied to, a perfect example of chaos. A multiple part being who speaks with riddles?

As to pure light the biggest problem is outside of the divine, most examples are human based, Knights/Priests/Paladins, hell even angels are portrayed as humans with wings. It's a very egotistical subsection that lacks expansion, let your imagination run free on that one.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Kagato said:
    I decided Chimaera would likely be the best option for Chaos since while they are not inherently 'evil' as such, they are traditionally an amalgamation of various creatures, often with no rhyme, reason or biological link whatsoever, so it seemed fitting.

I may go with wisps for spririt, I had thought as a potential option for Light being Ljósálfar  (Literally "Light Elves" from Old Norse mythology)

Morkarion said:
    Does chaos need to be evil? I thought chaos was chaos. and had nothing to do with good or evil.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    edited March 2014
    Ultimately, these may end up being nothing more than placeholders, I have some BIG plans for this project (and some definite interest from a couple of sources regarding the concept behind it, though I'm not holding my breath at this early stage...), I may have to come up with a full variety of unique creatures, the story is set in its own non-earth realm after all.

(Basically the world the story is set in, is a world that has received the blessings of the elements - hence my wanting to come up with elemental creatures that may make random 'appearances' in the background - while inhabitants of the world are not bestowed with the ability to harness the elements, those with the courage to beseech the patrons of the elements may be given the privilege of wielding an element, at that gods discretion.)

Elanorwen said:
    Kagato said:

Morkarion said:
    Does chaos need to be evil? I thought chaos was chaos. and had nothing to do with good or evil.
    It really depends on the story and the world that the story is set in.  The series "The Immortals" by Tamora Pierce has the power of Chaos being a distinctly evil force, though again such concepts are only in the minds of mortals, the gods of that world not perceiving such things as "good" and "evil"

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Also... chaos definitely needs hamsters.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.