Sweet Homesteads

DaraiusDaraius ShevatThe juror's taco spot
Does anybody have a really cool prime homestead (or idea for one) they'd like to share? I've got this instinct that there's potential for homesteads to be really unique additions to organizations, but my own ideas aren't all that inspiring. What kind of functions can a homestead serve besides being a small manse on prime? What are the limits of design and layout, and how far can they be pushed? 

Discuss!
I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I don't feel like it is a good use of effort to really make it a "closed-off" area; you can do that with manses just fine.  What I've envisioned as being a good use of Homesteads is, instead, to leave a permanent mark on an organization; you want others to be able to get into it and see what you've done / what you have contributed.  It's a way to really leave a permanent mark on the game, which (to me) is kind of cool.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Are there actually any homesteads?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I remember talking about how the Silent Cathedral got entirely designed by like, 3 or 4 mags, so that would be a really awesome example of a 'homestead', maybe, since it's on a hill away from everything in Magnagora and has no purpose beyond looking REALLY FREAKING PRETTY inside.
  • no, there are no homesteads yet
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I wish orgs could buy into homesteads, or just make developments in general.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Wait, cities can't expand?
    Munsia said:
    With Admin approval (and a different cost method).

Homesteads are designed for an individual player / small group of players to put together their own Prime-territory, completely designed by themselves, and without the need for an event or some kind of IC explanation for the area.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    I wish you could put them in neutral territories!
    Rivius said:
    I wish you could put them in neutral territories!
    They did that in an auction! :o
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice

*excellent*
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Xenthos said:
    Munsia said:
    With Admin approval (and a different cost method).

Homesteads are designed for an individual player / small group of players to put together their own Prime-territory, completely designed by themselves, and without the need for an event or some kind of IC explanation for the area.
    I do believe it costs something like 200,000 gold per room plus a bunch of commodities, if I remember correctly, it has been some time since I last did anything like that (I got a room added to the Celestines Guildhall some time ago)
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
    We're usually charged at least a million gold per room. I know that the HS ponied up 3 mil gold for the Wildewood expansion, and it's three rooms big.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    It's usually a heap of gold plus marble and wood comms to add a room.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    1mil per room certainly sounds incredibly high...  I know it costs that much to increase a city shops stock by 250 items

It's pretty darn high for any given player, or the majority of guilds, but is peanuts for orgs, who typically have upwards of 80-ish million on hand. 
    I really  want a mechanic that works like manses: Add in a relatively permanent structure (no swapping exits around willy-nilly), that allows for automated additions in the manner of room boxes, and changing room names/descriptions at the discretion of an appropriate commune/city official.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited April 2014
    Is it really that much to a player? My understanding was that it wasn't rare for most players to have in the millions, gold-wise, especially with so little to spend it on.
    Rivius said:
    Is it really that much to a player? My understanding was that it wasn't rare for most players to have in the millions, gold-wise, especially with so little to spend it on.
    Depends on who you are talking about.

Some players just splurge gold on lots of things (commodities, manse rooms, etc. etc.) whereas others just hoard it by the millions.
    edited April 2014
    Millions is pushing it. I'd say that most players have hundreds of thousands of gold, but not millions. I kinda assume that the top 50 players on the xp rankings must have very high levels of gold, though.

EDIT: There's kind of a 1% thing going on, except that new gold prices for non-trade goods (which have negligible cost, and are likely to always have negligible cost) are set based around some of the highest earners to a degree, the same with essence costs for powers.
    I do wish that costs were not based around "who has the most" but instead "how much time do we think should be invested to get X item / power, and then calculate the cost based on what can be reasonably assumed to be a decent rate for the level it is meant for".
  • Rivius said:
    this is kinda so so and depends on who you are talking about..

I have around 9 million gold stashed away right now. I could spend it all at the drop of a hat though and I have which is why I have done so before. Flip side of that I DO have a lost in the way of a manse's and aethermines and stuff like that. There is plenty to buy if you are willing to pay the price. Credits are always an option which I do buy from time to time, aethermanse rooms, aethercraft modules, the gold curio packages and so on.

As for homesteads, I think am starting to seriously think about getting one for my family but going to see what they can chip in for it first. They are meant for your family (In my opinion!). This will cut back on the costs on one person and make it a family deal.  :)
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

Arimisia said:
    Rivius said:
    this is kinda so so and depends on who you are talking about..

I have around 9 million gold stashed away right now. I could spend it all at the drop of a hat though and I have which is why I have done so before. Flip side of that I DO have a lost in the way of a manse's and aethermines and stuff like that. There is plenty to buy if you are willing to pay the price. Credits are always an option which I do buy from time to time, aethermanse rooms, aethercraft modules, the gold curio packages and so on.

As for homesteads, I think am starting to seriously think about getting one for my family but going to see what they can chip in for it first. They are meant for your family (In my opinion!). This will cut back on the costs on one person and make it a family deal.  :)
    Waiting on @Estarra to find out of it's possible to even deed these though. 
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    My understanding is that it's just a set of rooms in your prime territory, possibly with some items with special usage permissions. I would guess the rooms themselves aren't distinguished in any way from the rest of the territory, but I'd be interested to know what you find out!
    I used to make cakes.

Daraius said:
    My understanding is that it's just a set of rooms in your prime territory, possibly with some items with special usage permissions. I would guess the rooms themselves aren't distinguished in any way from the rest of the territory, but I'd be interested to know what you find out!
    My guess is that they want the ability to set the perms to be something that can be "deeded," so if one person goes inactive there is still the ability to set and change them by someone else in the family.
    Xenthos said:
    Daraius said:
    My guess is that they want the ability to set the perms to be something that can be "deeded," so if one person goes inactive there is still the ability to set and change them by someone else in the family.
    Exactly the line of thinking. If you consider it a large project, 1k credits just for the set up, and then adding a personal room for every family member that wants one among the other little things required like 150c just for the 'hallway' pieces. We're talking about a HUGE credit dump which we're okay with if the perms to editting the place can be given to the head of the family instead of 1 person, this way it would always have an editor, instead of becoming just a ball of uselessness when the owner goes inactive.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    It's only a million a room (give or take) for a guild expansion? Damn. I held off because I thought it was more. The SDs are sitting on 23 million last I checked. Time for a Celi...er....Mother Night statue!
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited April 2014
    Oh gotcha. Yep, that would definitely be important to know!

Related query: suppose several family members want to pool resources to purchase a homestead, but they only have bound credits. Are they SOL or can the benevolent admin take a little payment from each contributor?
    I used to make cakes.

Aha.  Found an old post from Eventru from back when I was guild administrator.

It cost the guild 400,000 gold, 150 marble, 150 wood for the room I got for the guild.

How long ago was that?
    edited April 2014
    October 2012.  Geez, time goes by fast.