Level Guide to Influencing

13»

Comments

• Influencing is, from what I have seen, the easiest and fastest way to solo gain experience. Hunting to gain that much that fast tends to require that one hunts with a group, which is not always feasible. At least that I have seen.

Avatar by the most wondrous Feyrll
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Manjusri said:
    Ileein said:
    Lerad said:
    If you can trans it, trans it. Charismaticaura gives a significant boost to influencing speed.
    This. Remember the new cheap lesson packages as well; they're enough to trans a skill with a little left over, even if you're starting from nothing. Putting them into Influence, if you're planning to influence a lot, isn't the worst decision you can make. Gaining levels earns you credits which you can put into other skills, after all.
    Wouldn't it just be more effective to trans one of your main skills and bash?  How much do you slow down when hitting levels 85+?  I do want to influence, but it seems like you're slowing yourself down by transing a skill in order to trans your other skills (which at least would be my goal most likely).
    Slow's down to the point where if you were purely bashing, it'd be easier to just do astral with a group than to bash on your own. The time and risk it takes to bash the appropriate experience won't yield the same. In any case, depending on how set you are, you can gain about  5k esteem an hour at the earliest of trans influencing. Basic market is low at 18 gold right now per so that's roughly about 4 credits an hour. So in about 72 hours of influencing you can gain back that entire bit. 
  • Currently, influencing has a few points to recommend it over bashing. It doesn't cause you to be enemied to areas, it earns you a *lot* of gold, esteem can be offered or sold, it doesn't use curatives other than bromides and maybe sparkle, and you're 100% safe from dying in most situations. Like I said, I'd only recommend transing Influence if you plan to influence a lot (to Demigod, say); otherwise, pick your priorities appropriately.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    Manjusri said:
    Ileein said:
    Lerad said:
    If you can trans it, trans it. Charismaticaura gives a significant boost to influencing speed.
    This. Remember the new cheap lesson packages as well; they're enough to trans a skill with a little left over, even if you're starting from nothing. Putting them into Influence, if you're planning to influence a lot, isn't the worst decision you can make. Gaining levels earns you credits which you can put into other skills, after all.
    Wouldn't it just be more effective to trans one of your main skills and bash?  How much do you slow down when hitting levels 85+?  I do want to influence, but it seems like you're slowing yourself down by transing a skill in order to trans your other skills (which at least would be my goal most likely).
    Also, if you're playing a very squishy race/class combo, it is so much safer to influence/you might not be able to bash places of a high enough level solo.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    It's easier to influence high level areas than it is to bash them, unless you're one of a few select class/race combines that can tank without high skill/artifact investment.

Case in point, the level 60-65 trill/faelings running around Lirangsha.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• So wait, is what I can influence solely based on my skill in influence, dramatics, other accesories and my charisma? That seems a bit ridiculous if I can influence a level 85 creature at level 40 say. 
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord

Manjusri said:
    So wait, is what I can influence solely based on my skill in influence, dramatics, other accesories and my charisma? That seems a bit ridiculous if I can influence a level 85 creature at level 40 say. 
    Level gives you more ego, more ego can help you influence harder creatures; the longer an influence battle goes, the more ego each attempt at influencing will cost you.  Things that reduce the loss will help you go for harder creatures, and things that shorten the battle will also help significantly.

These things have mostly all come out long after influencing was added to the game, so yes, they do skew it a bit.
  • Manjusri said:
    So wait, is what I can influence solely based on my skill in influence, dramatics, other accesories and my charisma? That seems a bit ridiculous if I can influence a level 85 creature at level 40 say. 
    Considering that you can influence in areas that are 'endgame', which would require a basher to be Demi / trans skilled / artied up, yes it is really silly. In fact I don't get why it isn't being addressed for the sake of balance. The only redeeming factor is that if everyone piles on influencing that they will be slowed down by the lack of available mobs. But that is hardly a solution. 
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Unfortunately there's more mobs than there are people to influence them.

It's just everyone rushes to Lirangsha and forgets the various other high level influence places available to them.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    edited April 2014
    Influencing is great. It's one of biggest reasons why I stayed in Lusternia. As a refugee from Imperian, where I got harassed over and over and over again, it was refreshing to know that I am 'safe' from getting attacked for no reason and that there was an alternative to bashing. 

Influencing appeals to some of us who cannot code or purchase a curing system, and yes, I am well aware that we have free systems as well as the server side curing. I speak from experience here. My bashing reflexes were terrible as I was never a good coder, but I was taught the basics and somehow pieced together an influencer in Nexus. It wasn't the best but it worked. 

I don't think influencing should be nerfed just because some 16 year old characters are able to influence the higher ranked mobs. Is it really that different from 16-year old demigods who aetherbashed to reach the max level? Granted, I am annoyed at the relative ease that these characters got demigod, but that's essentially easier to get these days. Sure, our days were harder, but what can we do? The game has changed so we have to adapt.

Influencing received a lot of buffs over the past few years, this was a welcome change at a time when most of the buffs happened to be focused on combat. Another point of the aforementioned buffs was to lower the threshold for effective influencing for non-min/maxed influencers, which it has definitely achieved. Influencing higher level mobs in the past was definitely more difficult than it is right now where people can effectively stack influencing buffs and seemingly breeze through the levels. In the past, it was still common to cause a mob to get too willfull for a low-skilled(influencing wise - skill, buffs, etc.) to influence. We just don't see it much anymore.

There are those who find influencing boring. There are also those who find bashing boring. It's a matter of perspective, really. Karlach is correct in saying that people just congregate in the popular areas. There is also the sense of entitlement that people have when it comes to 'owning' an influencing spot. There are a lot of areas in Lusternia to influence and it has always been my fervent wish to be able to do a complete round for all good areas, whether popular or not, before one of them even resets, I can dream right?

tl;dr: There are those who find influencing boring. There are also those who find bashing boring. It's a matter of perspective, really. And don't be lazy at finding spots to influence. Tacita already put up a great list here, use it. 

Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• The difference between a 16 year old aetherbash demi and a 16 year old influence demi is though that the former at least was a group effort. I have no problem with the former, if you can convince a group of people to put in that effort for you then kuddos to you. But with influencing anyone can roll up an alt with min/max stats and skills and pretty much walk into an endgame area and make endgame gold and experience while bashers are met with a big fat FUCK YOU, having to go to far greater expenses to equal that level of experience or monetary gain. Sorry but I fail to see the balance in that.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    This wasn't the case before. As I've said the buffs have gotten to a point where this is possible. :( This could be toned down or tweaked.

Le t's not focus on the age an apparent altness though. Influencing a high level requires investment, still. There is also the fact that influencing a level appropriate area yields greater gains per hour as opposed to prematurely influencing a level 80 area as a level 45 character.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

Folks, whilst questions about influencing are 100% appropriate for the thread and fine, let's please not derail it by having a debate about whether influencing is overpowered or not/needs changing/anything that isn't a question about the level guide or using it. If you want to chat about that, it is very much within your power to make a new thread!
  • Tacita said:
    You should also consider investing in dramatics, too. The bonus to influencing from having performances active is a nice one, and a lot of the performances you'll need aren't too high up in the skill either :)
    Which ones are those?  What influences Charisma aside from race?
  • There are plenty of charisma buffs out there. Truefavours, artisan thrones, bard abilities in the music skillset, astrology spheres, karma blessings, herofetes etc etc.

Dramatics is a general utility skillset. It has abilities that are geared toward synergizing with influencing and debates. The ones that Tacita is likely specifying would be the "performance" abilities, where you can "perform" a role and thus boost a specific type of influence. These performance abilities are not very high in the skillset, so you can get them by investing some lessons into Dramatics. The boost they give is not significant, but every little bit helps. Performance also gives some ego regeneration, at the cost of mana drain. During influencing, the ego regeneration will obviously come in handy.

• Is this list of places up to date now that?
  • Daganev said:
    Is this list of places up to date now that?
    It pretty much is. I don't see the Feyranti Estate on it but it has all the rest of the new areas.
  • Rialorm said:
    Daganev said:
    Is this list of places up to date now?
    It pretty much is. I don't see the Feyranti Estate on it but it has all the rest of the new areas.
    Probably too stubborn to influence anyways.. I kid :P
    I'll try and have a look at the various places that have come out in the past few months to add them in - if anyone wants to suggest levels for such places, please do so, and I'll add them to the list :)
  • Where did you add the cosmic planes influencing them brings in power for Magnagora and New Celest at least I'm not too sure on Guadi and Hallifax
  • edited November 2017
    Retherian said:
    Where did you add the cosmic planes influencing them brings in power for Magnagora and New Celest at least I'm not too sure on Guadi and Hallifax
    This thread is three years old from the last comment.
    (Magnagora): Thax says, "My truest favour to the soldier that brings me the weave of Neos."
  • Rideta said:
    This thread is three years old from the last comment.
    Still a valid question specifically for the new people looking for a comprehensive list.