Monthly Promotion Ideas Thread

The intent of this thread is to come up with ideas for monthly promotions which will encourage spending by a broader portion of the playerbase, instead of being limited towards targeting the same select few.  Ideas for promotions would ideally have little Administrative overhead, would be things that you could see yourself spending on (as well as others), and should be somewhat varied.

My ideas for monthly promotions at this point include:
1) Auctions!
2) Credit sales are always good.
3) Artifact packages.
4) Do you remember that one time that all artifacts were on sale for 30% off?  That was amazing.  I would love to have one of those again.
5) Release some auction-only / retired items via the website for payment (not really "packages" but direct purchases of things you cannot get other ways).  Some things to include would be a Torus (on the high end), dingbat dolls (on the low end), the illusion wand, censers... this would probably go over pretty well!
6) A month to 'take it easy' would also be good on the playerbase every now and then, we can't be buying all the time!  Some more of the 21-day challenges would be lovely.
7) Lesson sales.
8) Presents (people love their presents),.
9) Something like the above suggestion, allowing people to buy the base package and then choose to gamble how often / far to upgrade it.
10) A month related to coins and the Wheel.
11) The return of the artifact bandits!

Take that and now, you're reduced administrative load tremendously.  You can add in the occasional month of "whatevers" (a curio thing / other collectible) if you like, and then start the cycle over.  Change the order around as desired to keep things fresh.  Add some things to the rotation as you have ideas of a new promotion that we will just love.

I personally feel like this sort of thing would be better on the whole than the cycle of collectibles, and these are all things that can be tweaked a bit and adjusted as desired to encourage player investment.  You will also have reduced the feeling of "throwing collectibles at people month after month in the hopes that they will keep throwing their money your way"... a feeling which, at least to some of us, is a very real concern because we have done so.

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Estarra said:
    FYI, we couldn't do giftbags (presents) this month because we did them last month!

I think our spin on giftbags is pretty interesting, increasing the chance of getting a higher level of prize the more giftbags are opened (though there's some discussion that this mechanic is too generous).

Anyway, I still maintain that gnewpies are nothing like curios as you don't need to collect pieces to put together and they aren't sets. Since they have credit values and you can trade them in, it's better than a credit sale as you can choose just to keep the gnewpies as cute unique items or cash them in for credits. Ah, well, can't please everyone all the time, as they say.

Unfortunately, we generally don't have carte blanche in regards to promotions though I try to make things interesting when I can (though sometimes it falls flat-*sniffle*). Thus, I can't just turn on artifact packages, for example, whenever I want. Also, Xenthos, some of the things you mention haven't historically actually translated to good promotions which is why you don't see them often (yes, they appeal to some people but actual numbers don't really bear them out). That said, I may request to do an auction anyway, because I know many of you like them!
    What about things like selling retired artifacts on the website?  That's not a promotion that has been done before at all (as far as I am aware).
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    edited May 2014
    I get the feeling that however much E may empathize with us, and want to do things along those lines, that the promotion decisions are handed down by the guys in charge of IRE. So, I encourage everyone to blow up their inbox, or inboxes, stating the displeasure we feel about the current promotions/feelings of unnecessary collectable creep that's currently infested the game.

Take some of that righteous anger/indignation/outrage and make the guy who hands down the decisions sweat a little. I'm sure E could use the break.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited May 2014
    The triple junction lotteries two years ago were a great gold sink month. Credit prices were far lower as people bought credits to sell for gold, and people had plenty of the various brews which helped a fair few people level up.

Also June (or was it July?) 2012 where we had the stacking xp buff which reset after a few days then went around again. I think that was part of the reason I got Demigod. 200% xp boost every 5 or so days? Nom

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Tarkenton said:
    I get the feeling that however much E may empathize with us, and want to do things along those lines, that the promotion decisions are handed down by the guys in charge of IRE. So, I encourage everyone to blow up their inbox, or inboxes, stating the displeasure we feel about the current promotions/feelings of unnecessary collectable creep that's currently infested the game. Take some of that righteous anger/indignation/outrage and make the guy who hands down the decisions sweat a little. I'm sure E could use the break.
    One would hope that corporate does pay attention to the forums for their games now and then (if nothing else, at least when pointed at threads dealing with customer experience with corporate policies).  The message may not have gone through clearly yet, but one can always hope that by making threads and discussing it actively, it will help adjust IRE's decisions and lead to a better environment for all. :)
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    I'd definitely love seeing retired/limited edition artis for sale on the website. Especially censers... being that we didn't get an auction this month (Yes, I've been hogging a bunch of creds and some artis for tradein, hoping for an auction) it might be something I'd spend money on... as opposed to yet another month where all Lusty-related spending will be the Iron Elite.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

I think lotteries are great. A really wonderful opportunity for EVERYONE to have a chance at something shiny. Drives down credit prices. I think even a tiered lottery, one for lessons/credits/whatever and one for gold,one for bashing mobs might even be a great idea.

The monthly promotion could be bonus tickets for gold/credits or a bonus in ticket frequency for bashing mobs. The more you buy, the more your bonus.

On the flip side, I think auctions are awful. They really just encourage the credit wealthy to hoard piles of credits to spend on unique arties. It's strictly for the already wealthy, typically artied to the teeth players to become more so. It's disguised as beneficial because it purges the market of excess credits, but it's a lie. These credits aren't from the market. Even orgs pitch in to help their members buy certain items. It's just blegh.

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Xenthos said:

Tarkenton said:

I get the feeling that however much E may empathize with us, and want to do things along those lines, that the promotion decisions are handed down by the guys in charge of IRE. So, I encourage everyone to blow up their inbox, or inboxes, stating the displeasure we feel about the current promotions/feelings of unnecessary collectable creep that's currently infested the game.

Take some of that righteous anger/indignation/outrage and make the guy who hands down the decisions sweat a little. I'm sure E could use the break.

One would hope that corporate does pay attention to the forums for their games now and then (if nothing else, at least when pointed at threads dealing with customer experience with corporate policies).  The message may not have gone through clearly yet, but one can always hope that by making threads and discussing it actively, it will help adjust IRE's decisions and lead to a better environment for all. :)

Hasn't seemed to have any impact so far. Hence direct email. I can't be the only person that's read consumerist stories about how someone gets email addresses of mucky mucks and complains to them about the issue they tried to resolve through normal channels. Granted, it's kind of the nuclear option, but how long have people been nattering on the forums about this issue and others like it?
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    +1 to wanting retired arties. Want a censer and chaos hamster plz.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    +1 to artifact 30% off sale and chaos hamster revival (I'd like a fire censer too, trees just don't do it for me anymore)

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'm pissed that I can't like and agree with the original post at the same time.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Cash for artifacts at a discount! Like the packages only not....because the Wiccan package was terrible.
  • These are all pretty good ideas. Also, FYI, if I were more active these days, I would have bought credits for the present promo, I was realllllllllllly close a few times (even had my credit card in my hand and then chickened out). So thats a pretty good promo :P
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    The artifact bandits were the best. Being able to test out artifacts was pretty great.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Acrune said:
    These are all pretty good ideas. Also, FYI, if I were more active these days, I would have bought credits for the present promo, I was realllllllllllly close a few times (even had my credit card in my hand and then chickened out). So thats a pretty good promo :P
    The gnewpie dolls are a little tempting, but there's no gnewpie for leather comms, so I haven't.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Gogo dominatrix doll.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Yes because pet fearaura and farscout gank.
  • edited May 2014
    I've stopped spending money on Lusternia.

My budget is limited for gaming. I understand that Lusternia is about making money, but due to the nature of the way curios have gone and my inability/not wanting to play for the last few months, I simply quit trying to collect curios and Ikons after the first round of curios were released.

Promotions I would definitely consider: 
    - 30% off artifacts
    - small discount on manse dwellers/customizations/custom beasts (I would definitely drop credits on those)
    - Daily lessons (this actually encouraged me to play rather than just sit idle)
    - 21 day questline was AWESOME. I know it was tedious, I complained too but it was really cool. It would be especially cool if we could involve some of the current questing places such as the Reserve. 

This doesn't really have to do with monthly promotions, but I would hands down 100% drop RL money on t-shirts and other merchandise if I knew that it would be supporting the game I love. (aka not Zazzle which I'm under the impression you get no money from us buying from) I would consider lanyards (with the Lusternia or IRE logo), keychains (with Lusternia/IRE/organization logos) as well as buttons, sweatshirts, journals, etc. I know this stuff would be more expensive for you to have available but it may be another avenue of revenue. 

Edit: Also we could have a smaller auction for some of those old artifacts that people really would like to have come back.
  • Retired artifact packages one month would be awesome - if Chaos Hamster Plushies ever went on sale again I'd totally buy them!
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited May 2014
    Nayl said:
    Real life merch. Keychains Lanyards is a yes.
    I do believe certain types of merchandise are already available (shirts, mugs, etc etc)

EDIT: Never mind, saw the earlier comment about Zazzle and lack of profit from their merchandise...
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?