How does Bug Append work?

edited December 2012 in Q&A
This is more of a question of what happens on the admin side when a bug append goes through. If I append, does it mark the bug, showing that there is more information in any way? I know this might seem silly, but after appending a bug with what I thought would be enough information, it's still been several days. We, the bug reporter, also get no indication as to when the bug was last viewed.

It is hard to tell if it is really worthwhile to append on a bug that was already several days old, or if it is better to delete that bug and re-bug with the full information. What should I be doing?

Best Answer

• edited December 2012 Accepted Answer
    This is how it looks for us:

****[ Bug Listing [Pr=priority, St=Status] ("+" indicates appended notes) ]****
    ID     Pri St Reporter   Text                                                  
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    5966   +MP u  Yaffi      The Cay of Cloadahi was attempted by Tridemon about 1
    6038    MP u  Yaffi      This is a minor detail, but when I greet the dwarf se
    *******************************************************************************
    Bug #5966   Reporters: Yaffi   Classified by: Iosai
    Mortal Reports:
    -------[Yaffi on 12/8/2012 @ 03:52 bugs]------
    The Cay of Cloadahi was attempted by Tridemon about 10 hours ago, which failed, 
    as the filling of the fountains from the urn did not open the way to the coral 
    maze with the snakes. As time elapsed, several attempts were made to re-start 
    the Cay. However, every time, the oysters yielded no pearls.
    -------[Yaffi on 12/13/2012 @ 04:11 adds]------
    Just now, I had the Cay quest fail on me when: I got the message that the urn 
    was full after influencing the appropriate number of elementals, then attempting
    to fill the fountains. The first two fountains were fine. The last one did not 
    trigger. I tried entering and leaving the room again. No go. I tried moving the 
    urn in and out again. No go. I did notice, however, that several of the 
    elementals had already repopped. If the elementals repop independent to when 
    they are influenced, this might be causing an issue with the quest and confusing
    something somewhere along the line.
    -------[Yaffi on 12/13/2012 @ 04:32 adds]------
    I went ahead and checked all of the elementals that had repopped, and 
    re-influenced the few that were laidback in the presence of the urn. I did not 
    get another message indicating the urn was full. However, upon returning it to 
    the unfilled fountain, the message did trigger, and I could complete the quest.

So we can tell if you've added something just from the quick list of bugs, and we can see what you've added.

Rebugging gets you nothing (actually, deleting and rebugging gets you moved to the bottom of the queue automatically, by the system). Far better to append.