Simple Ideas

Comments

• ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Lillie said:
    Maybe it's exceedingly difficult to code?
    I can't speak for all languages... at all. But my working with Python, Lua, and SQL imply to me that it's not that difficult. (But Ieptix gave an example a few pages back of how an idea we thought was simple was not.)

Unless the database is stored in COBOL. *beep* COBOL.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Zouviqil said:
    Lillie said:
    Maybe it's exceedingly difficult to code?
    I can't speak for all languages... at all. But my working with Python, Lua, and SQL imply to me that it's not that difficult. (But Ieptix gave an example a few pages back of how an idea we thought was simple was not.)

Unless the database is stored in COBOL. *beep* COBOL.
    I believe IRE games have their own code base... if memory serves, it was based on C... it's been a while (At least 10 years) since I had the conversation with Sarapis on Achaea about it, so I could be remembering incorrectly.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Yeah, they have their own language in Rapture (I think it's called). From what I've heard of it, it doesn't necessarily have everything you'd expect (I think it was something like no for-loops or something?), nor does it apparently have direct access to the data in the database. So yeah, it could easily be a case of not being easy/quick enough to code.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I don't want people knowing I've watched "Of Hearts and Holograms" like 500 times.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    I'd like to see the ability to order guards to follow be added, being that when summoned, they follow the person that summons them... someone forgetting that fact can easily drag guards off-plane. Alternately they should really stop following when the person they're following attempts to move off plane through any means.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • I thought this was already the case. AFAIK guards automatically get left behind when you try to walk to a location they should not be (out of org territory). I know they follow through the orgix, since I guess that's tagged as the respective org territory, but if you tried to cubix to another plane, surely they won't follow?

Lerad said:
    I thought this was already the case. AFAIK guards automatically get left behind when you try to walk to a location they should not be (out of org territory). I know they follow through the orgix, since I guess that's tagged as the respective org territory, but if you tried to cubix to another plane, surely they won't follow?
    My issue is something else entirely. Yes, they won't follow if you try to take them where they shouldn't be, but there is always the option that you might end up taking them somewhere they won't be doing any good if you forgot they follow on summon.

I'll give an example. Someone summons guards at the Matrix on Continuum. Then said someone, forgetting that the guards auto-follow on summon orgbixes back to Prime, guards in tow. Those guards are now on Prime and cannot be moved back to Continuum in any fashion as there is no orgbix exit that leads to the Matrix on Continuum. (Except if the person notices and gets an aero/researcher to follow transversing). The guards will not follow where they shouldn't be, no... but I feel the orgbix room needs to really be considered a place where guards should be incapable of entering, thus avoiding incidents like that. Other option, as mentioned, would be to allow guards to be ordered to follow so that they can be lead to linked planes.

• NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Color tags in the gmcp.Comm.Channel.Text message for channels like ct and clans, similar to how it is for says.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • A new config option for those of us that have to suffer through daylight saving timezones. Something akin to CONFIG DAYLIGHTSAVINGS ON/OFF which would add +1 or +0 depending on whether it was summer or otherwise in real life.

I always get confused with the times in logs etc when they don't match up to my own time. Just a thought, would be nice!
  • I doubt it's as simple as that. Odds are the time in the logs isn't stored as time, but rather as text, which makes hour conversions rather tedious. Also, if you add that option, there'd be confusion since it would no longer match the time on TIME, unless you want that to change, in which case people would start getting confused about when the weave changes.
  • An addition to the buy syntax:

BUY 4 REDTINT [AND 4 YELLOWTINT AND 4 CHEESE AND 3 GOLDENTONIC] etc. etc.
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• Not sure if this has been put forward before now, but:

GCHELP - a method of accessing Covenant guild scrolls, for assisting young players or sharing information. This might need the ability to set a flag against GHELP files (if possible) to restrict what information can be shared.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited May 2014
    Can we please just have envoy reports back?

EDIT: I had honestly forgotten how durpy pathtwists could be.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Organizational leaders only:
      DIPLOMACY <org> <person>                   - Show the person's status
      DIPLOMACY <org> COMMENT <person> <text>    - A comment the enemy can see
      DIPLOMACY <org> REMOVECOMMENT <person>     - Remove the most recent comment
      DIPLOMACY <org> NOTE <person> <text>       - A comment the enemy can't see
      DIPLOMACY <org> REMOVENOTE <person>        - Remove the most recent note
      DIPLOMACY <org> EXPIRE <person> <months>   - Make the enemyship expire
      DIPLOMACY <org> EXPIRE <person> 0          - Make the enemyship permanent
      DIPLOMACY <org> AMNESTY <person> <months>  - Temporarily cancel enemyship
      DIPLOMACY <org> AMNESTY <person> 0         - End an amnesty early
      DIPLOMACY <org> FINE <person> <amount>     - Set a fine for auto-unenemying
      DIPLOMACY <org> FINE <person> 0            - Cancel the fine option

Please can Ambassadors have these too?
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited May 2014
    Can we please have someone look at the AB RUNES <rune> files. Just listing the tint looks lazy and unprofessional. =/

EDIT: The ASCII art on every rune probe is pretty darn awesome though, can't lie.

• Maligorn said:
    Can we please have someone look at the AB RUNES <rune> files. Just listing the tint looks lazy and unprofessional. =/

EDIT: The ASCII art on every rune probe is pretty darn awesome though, can't lie.
    Ooo, have I converted you to runes Maligorn?
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Chade said:
    Maligorn said:

Ooo, have I converted you to runes Maligorn?
    I made post before our talk, but suffice to say I have a character somewhere with Trans Runes and another character elsewhere with not-trans but also Runes. -eyeshift-

• I noticed! It was actually this post that prompted me to get in touch :p
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    I know how you feel! At some point in the past I wanted Ikebana in Lusternia...then it got bloated into an entire horticulture skillset.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Look, just make a monk-only trade skill that permits people to prune and cultivate bonsai. Magic bonsai, whose twists and turns create various beneficial effects when placed in manses or carried around with you. Maybe even cursed bonsai!
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    A way for alters to skip the introduction tutorial somehow or at least jump ahead to the collegium quests. PLEASE.

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Can we get the ability to weaponprobe stuff from the aetherplex, please? D:
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Nievea said:

edited to add: I don't think this is a simple idea. It started out with "I want perfume!", then I just started typing and this post happened.
    There are perfumes in game already, it's just that there's only... what is it, four or five?
  • Five, one for each influence.
  • Lendren said:

Nievea said:

edited to add: I don't think this is a simple idea. It started out with "I want perfume!", then I just started typing and this post happened.
    There are perfumes in game already, it's just that there's only... what is it, four or five?
    Oh really? I have to do a litle research then. They've added so much stuff in the 4-5 years that I've been away
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Org help file changelogs/changes written to the org log please. While it won't fix the issue that made me ask for this, would be nice for the future.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"