General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• @Shaddus, why are you flagging a perfectly valid and helpful comment? Above is the same advice I was going to give. And I am an experienced insomniac and anxiety sufferer who is struggling with sleep problems, so I do know what I am talking about.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Xeria said:
    I'm trying to fix my sleep schedule but, the gods-in-my-head/my brain refuse to co-operate. It makes absolutely no difference whether I lie down and try to sleep or get up and do stuff. I still fall asleep around the same horrific times. Every time I try I end up sleeping at a later hour. 

Then getting stuff done, work/etc is just shot for the rest of the day. :/

SRSLY!
    Melatonin may help. Drinking tea before bed or warm milk. Not using screens for an hour before bedtime. If you have access, perhaps speak to a doctor about it. I found that now that I am biking for approx 1 hr 1/2 a day I sleep a lot better but I still have chemical assistance for it. 

The other thing that I've found to help is I meditate and I also listen to the sounds of waterfalls/rushing water/rain before bed. I've found one particular recording that works really well for me and puts me to sleep like a rock.

I'm just wracking my brain for anything else that might help you. Not sleeping is the worst. Makes your entire life feel so off.

Good luck.
  • Valerian tea should help knock you out. It smells like dirty feet, but it does wonders.
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
  • I've found that the best sleep ever comes while living in the tropics with your windows open during a night-time rainstorm.   I'd give that little suggestion a try. :p

Stangmar - Retired

• Best sleep I ever had was on a very large cruise ship. The gentle swaying all night long was so relaxing.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    The best sleep I had was after a bottle of Jack Daniels.
  • Do not drink valerian tea around cats. It's worse than catnip for mine. If you must, spray some of the cooled down tea on a cat toy and distract cat with that.

Also, if you are in bed for 20 minutes and you haven't fallen asleep, get up again and go do something boring. Like watch the financial news, or do some light household chore. Should eventually notice yourself getting tired. It sounds counter-intuitive but it may save you more time than staying in bed worrying about sleep, as the latter keeps your mind very active.

As for me, I cured my inability to fall asleep in a timely manner with reading before bed. Shut down pc somewhere around 10, crawl in bed, get comfy and read one or two chapters until I notice myself dozing off. Turn off light, and within five minutes I'm gone. Having a calming ritual makes all the difference.

Finally, if something is keeping you up, write it down and address the problem upon waking. No matter if small or big. Develop a bond of trust with your future self that he or she will take care of everything.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • If you're in the habit of checking your laptop, or your phone, or writing, or doing anything that isn't sleep related in bed, either before or after you sleep, try to break yourself of that habit. Make yourself get up before looking at your messages/checking email. If you're lying in bed and can't sleep, don't just flip open your laptop where you are, get up to do it. This can help your brain realise that bed = sleep, not bed = think about ALL the things. It can be boring at first, but I've found it to ultimately be quite helpful.
  • Xeria said:
    @celina man that stinks!
    -----------------------------------------

I'm trying to fix my sleep schedule but, the gods-in-my-head/my brain refuse to co-operate. It makes absolutely no difference whether I lie down and try to sleep or get up and do stuff. I still fall asleep around the same horrific times. Every time I try I end up sleeping at a later hour. 

Then getting stuff done, work/etc is just shot for the rest of the day. :/

SRSLY!
    I had  similar sleep issues but I ended up having actual medical problems that were not helping me. I got so bad that I didn't want to go to bed because I knew I could not get up when I should be getting up. I would sleep for like 14-15 hours and still never have any energy. Synthroid (Thyroid medication), massive amounts of Vitamin D helped a lot with the energy issue, added melatonin ( there are different brands and for some reason, they do work differently) set a bed time that no matter what you will get off whatever you are doing and go lay down and a set time to get up. Took a while but you get used to it but it is VERY easy to let all that go and fall back into bad habits, but once you've gotten into a good habit for a while, it s much easier to get back into as well.
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• Rialorm said:
    Shut down pc somewhere around 10, crawl in bed, get comfy and read one or two chapters until I notice myself dozing off. Turn off light, and within five minutes I'm gone. Having a calming ritual makes all the difference.

Finally, if something is keeping you up, write it down and address the problem upon waking. No matter if small or big. Develop a bond of trust with your future self that he or she will take care of everything.
    So much this. For the first, it's easier to fall into a restful pattern if your eyes and brain aren't constantly being drawn to movement/light/sound. For the second...years ago, I always had so much WORRY going on that it used to take me hours to get to sleep, and I'd wake up still bothered throughout the night. All it took was me adjusting my mindset from "OMGWTFAAAAAAHHHH" to "Tomorrow for tomorrow. Nothing I can do about it now" - since then, it takes me less than five minutes to fall asleep.

Valerian and melatonin are all good, but behaviour plays a very big part in it all, too. Break for bed sooner, try to get your mind into a better place if you can, perhaps a bit of meditation to help relax your body and calm your mind if you're that way inclined, or perhaps the sleep aids already mentioned.

Good luck!
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    Like Aeral alluded to before, excercise is great for helping you get a good night's sleep too.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • edited June 2014
    aww, thanks for all the advice guys!

@Stangmar yes, a rainy night = cool air and cooler mornings. perfect for lying in. 

err. No books for me. Books are my crack. Once I pick up a book, I'm never going to stop reading till I reach the end of it (or the rest of teh series if I have it).

I might try valerian tea, if I can get it down where i'm at!

(does chamomile work?)

I'll try adjusting my behavior before resorting to meds or melatonin supplements. Anxiety tends not to exist down where I'm at. While treating it as a behavioral problem does have its perks, it makes getting access to medication difficult, and there's not much literature or awareness of it. 

Will update you guys in a month or so!
    is dead like the dodo
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Chamomile can work. I have a rather large coffee mug I use for a strong chamomile tea I brew when I really need to settle down one night, put on something mind numbing and not hard to follow to watch on my laptop and drink it as I settle down.

The upshot is 8 hours later it's a great alarm when you need to get up and go to the toilet.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Still no baby :( Hurry up little lady I want to meet you!! (plus the sleepless nights whilst my wife has off/on contractions over the last few days has been rather unpleasant)
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    I've had an interesting past few days...and by interesting I mean annoying. 

Getting little to no sleep now, the TMJ jaw crap is starting to hurt real bad again, my neck is constantly killing me creating massive migrains. My stomach feels weird and I've been having nothing but acid for the last 3 days, ontop of that my ankle still pains me slightly and is causing me to limp everywhere -.-
  • Munsia said:
    I've had an interesting past few days...and by interesting I mean annoying. 

Getting little to no sleep now, the TMJ jaw crap is starting to hurt real bad again, my neck is constantly killing me creating massive migrains. My stomach feels weird and I've been having nothing but acid for the last 3 days, ontop of that my ankle still pains me slightly and is causing me to limp everywhere -.-
    My TMJ is coming back too.  It hurts now to try and close the right side of my jaw.
    Stangmar - Retired

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Rialorm said:

@Shaddus, why are you flagging a perfectly valid and helpful comment? Above is the same advice I was going to give. And I am an experienced insomniac and anxiety sufferer who is struggling with sleep problems, so I do know what I am talking about.

Not sure if phone has Iasmosis, or I hit the wrong button. sorry about that.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • OMG steam, stop already with the retro game nostalgia string tugging. time to go lose a couple hours playing system shock 2 again
  • The Patriot in me is very upset this afternoon
    Stangmar - Retired

Would this have something to do with a 94th minute game tie?

Europe heard how America loves games that end in a tie >.>

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Comic Con is over and I have to now go back to work :(
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Karlach said:

We like ties more than being knocked out after two games ;)

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • The funny part is I don't even like soccer.  I just like to watch America fight other countries.
    Stangmar - Retired

• I think half the world were rooting for the US during that game, to see another "big" team get knocked out of the tournament!

My rant for today: The general shoddiness of Lego video games. We have had glitches with games in the past such as Lego Harry Potter, but the wife and I still powered through (turned into children and stayed up until 7am getting 100% one time). Anyhow I wanted to cheer up the wife so I went out and bought Lego Lord of the Rings which when we put it on seemed awesome. I could have genuinely played it all day long, and had settled on doing so when we suffered our first major glitch during the prologue which meant we had to exit and start again. Went through and this time in the second "level" we hit ANOTHER major glitch forcing us to hard reset the PS3. Poor form Lego, poor form. Gonna head back to where I bought it and see if they'll swap it for something else :( 
    X(
  • I've played through almost all the Lego games on my 360, and I've hit several glitches. Only one is preventing me from getting 100%, though, in Harry Potter. The others could be worked around or eventually got patched.

Synkarin said:
    Karlach said:

Hey now, no need to rub it in the Aussie's faces, they didn't deserve that.

• Karlach said:
    Synkarin said:
    Karlach said:

Hey now, no need to rub it in the Aussie's faces, they didn't deserve that.
    I think we did. Back to playing real men's sports we go!
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited June 2014

Koala wrestling?

• edited June 2014
    Nope, gay rugby.   We've won that world cup 3 times (soon to be 4)!