Quest Event, Curios and Artifact Packages!

13»

Comments

• Okay, now that a week has passed and I've practically supplied half of Gaudiguch's active population with their 5-denizen Wheel quest (and now a handful of others outside the city), my two cents:

40~ mobs an hour for 24 hours for the 31 days of December, theoretically, works well, and would enable everyone to have an equal chance of finishing their quest. However, it doesn't take into account the player's desire for excess (hey, better than greed), that a handful of people will keep on bashing and bringing denizens to the Wheel even after they've reached their quota of five.

The quest, basically, turns into a race - and obviously, those who run and bash faster win over those who can't. Influencing takes time (no criticals), those who opt for sparks have to look for sparks before looking for denizens. Slow bashers have found that the denizen they're bashing suddenly gets sniped by a stronger, faster basher.

I think the quest should be tweaked that, once you've reached your five, you'll be unable to place corpses in the Wheel or lead corpses to the Wheel.
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • Okay, now that a week has passed and I've practically supplied half of Gaudiguch's active population with their 5-denizen Wheel quest (and now a handful of others outside the city), my two cents:

40~ mobs an hour for 24 hours for the 31 days of December, theoretically, works well, and would enable everyone to have an equal chance of finishing their quest. However, it doesn't take into account the player's desire for excess (hey, better than greed), that a handful of people will keep on bashing and bringing denizens to the Wheel even after they've reached their quota of five.

The quest, basically, turns into a race - and obviously, those who run and bash faster win over those who can't. Influencing takes time (no criticals), those who opt for sparks have to look for sparks before looking for denizens. Slow bashers have found that the denizen they're bashing suddenly gets sniped by a stronger, faster basher.

I think the quest should be tweaked that, once you've reached your five, you'll be unable to place corpses in the Wheel or lead corpses to the Wheel.
    Even if the Wheel didn't accept them, it wouldn't stop them from killing them. There is literally 0 (zilch nada NO) reward for bringing them in. No gold, no karma, no nothing. If they're doing it to be pains, they'll simply continue to do exactly as they have.
  • Well, then, make it so it's impossible to kill them once you've reached your 5. 
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • Well, then, make it so it's impossible to kill them once you've reached your 5. 
    Not really feasible.
  • Alternatively, you could make the respawn time (because you mentioned that mobs respawn in the area the wheel was spun for) for the mobs more frequent. Best case scenario is if they automatically respawn when the number of mobs for that area drops to a certain number, like 5.

If that's too much hassle, make the wheel spinnable more often.

The fact that there are people killing in excess means there are people who are frustrated by a quest that should be rewarding them. It's one of our monthly promotions, right? Not a org-conflict quest, right?

Note, as it is, there're probably people who are frustrated regardless of griefers, because they are just unlucky enough to be only able to log in during peak hours. (Haha, unlucky to be peak, that's a new one!)

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited December 2012
    Just make the respawn time 10-15 minutes instead of 30 minutes.  If you are one of the people happily stealing them from others, then you are going to be doing nothing else- and due to the faster respawn time, they will be more likely to go to other people as well in each wave.
  • So, as I sit here waiting for more mobs or the Wheel to be ready (whoops, there goes the Wheel, I knew writing would work) I think I can constructively sum up why this monthly promotion is rubbing people the wrong way: lack of player control.

Allow me to explain. Prior, all 21-day monthly promos were basically simply logging in, or doing a hot and cold game. You, the player who wants points, obviously has direct control over when you log in or not. With the hot and cold games, you generally need to go get some instrument from a given source, then can work from there. There are no limits to how many of these objects can go out in an hour, and you can basically log in and work on it whenever you have the time to do so.

Now, with this promo, you have no control over initiation. The Wheel just keeps going whenever it happens to be ready, not you. You can attempt to be proactive and look in every single place where mobs might be released, then camp out when you find sparks, but it is not a promise. I've had to wait and wait only for the Wheel to finally become available again, then have to race against bunch of other people all over again. When the Wheel goes off, it isn't just for you so you can finish, but everyone.

This is compounded by things which may or may not be true, but which I haven't the time or inclination to investigate fully. For instance, I've heard that the Wheel's messages can only be seen on Prime, which is discouraging people from going off-prime much at all until they have their part of the promo done for the month. If this is true, it really needs to be changed to being noticeable anywhere in the game (or at least, the red screeching message should).
  • Off peak is a definite bonus here. I've done it on my phone in my lunch break for the last three days, camping areas with sparks like @Ragniliff suggests.

I expect competition for mobs will drop off as it goes on, people with alts may give up and such.
  • Having experienced the dominators in the Moors, I have to say that I don't quite like them. The other areas were generally fine, but whenever the Moors dominators appear, it basically ends up being an hour when novices are unable to complete the wheel quest without help. For while it is true that the cavaliers can brought to follow you using sparks, it is dangerous to navigate the Moors due to the large amount of aggressive dominators. Especially as they seem to be tracking, thus you have to kill them, or you end up with a large crowd of them chasing.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • They don't attack novices or even midbies. Indeed, it's probably the most <50 friendly spawn simply because of that. They will track/attack if attacked first, however, regardless of level.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Are dominators corpses supposed to not work for the Wheel? And...the cavaliers, are we supposed to be able to influence them?
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Eritheyl said:

Are dominators corpses supposed to not work for the Wheel? And...the cavaliers, are we supposed to be able to influence them?

No and no. The cavaliers take dominator corpses - give them a few and they'll follow.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Oh, how fun. I didn't think it was going to get that involved.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • edited December 2012
    Artifact pack suggestion:

Basic Combat Pack - 3 tobacconist runes and soap

Figured I'd suggest that one, since those are probably the most frequently mentioned artifacts -I've- seen people reply with when asked what artifacts you should get first for fighting (independent of archetype).
  • My main beef with dominators is that they wander outside of the Moors and interrupt me while I'm harvesting in Glom :(
  • Eventru said:
    They don't attack novices or even midbies. Indeed, it's probably the most <50 friendly spawn simply because of that. They will track/attack if attacked first, however, regardless of level.
    That's nice and all, but it's still not very novice friendly. Now the Sileni? Those are novice friendly. They can be influenced, quite easily too, and they're in a far more compact area. Just really wish there were more of them coming about each round.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • I'd like to bump this. We've had a lot of interesting new stuff this month that might've been drowning out the "whining" about this quest. I'm from the off-peak camp, so I'm not sure if the situation during peak times is still as bad as people have been claiming from the start. I think enough time has passed that opinions will be more valued, if by now people have not gotten used to the quest and are still feeling frustrated, chances are there really is something that should be changed about it. We won't know unless people do speak up, however.

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess

Lerad said:
    I'd like to bump this. We've had a lot of interesting new stuff this month that might've been drowning out the "whining" about this quest. I'm from the off-peak camp, so I'm not sure if the situation during peak times is still as bad as people have been claiming from the start. I think enough time has passed that opinions will be more valued, if by now people have not gotten used to the quest and are still feeling frustrated, chances are there really is something that should be changed about it. We won't know unless people do speak up, however.

I'd say it's about the same, if not worse. I have all but given up on trying to do it in the evenings after work. I can usually only log on after 6PM local time (Right after weave) and stay up until 11-11:30PM... now, I do have other things to do on top of working on daily quests in Lusternia, so I won't be focusing my attention on that alone and I won't stick around for that long just so I can complete it. On average at that time there's 8+ people working on the critters in the area as soon as the wheel spits its critters out, and it gets worse later in the day. Lately, I've taken up to doing it before heading out to work, which tends to be a bit of a pain as I have about 30 minutes between waking up and having to go to work.

Sometimes I'll even go and log on from work to do it. (Quite problematic if it's dominators time as I can only use telnet and they dish out the heavy bleeding, blackouts, etc, etc and stray out of their supposed area. Ran into four that almost killed me this very morning) All in all, I'd say I'm quite disappointed by this particular quest event and hope that the reward will be worth the hassle.

That said, I'm a bit curious about the curio packs. Does the 100-count czigany curio pack contain only masks or can it contain some of the classic animated curios too? I've been eyeing that marionette mask, but not sure if I want to dump somewhere north of $200 for a single curio.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    1) I feel I have to encourage you to buy, because I've already invested quite a bit and I can't really justify spending more, but I still need a good 11 pieces.
    2) On the other side, the packs contain both the old and new Czigany pieces, which I've registered a concern about already; there are 40 possible curio pieces, so 400 possible pieces.
    This makes completing things semi-difficult (but not impossible, Neraiche completed a Fae Knight mask with less spent than I at the time of completion).

Basically: The more people who buy them, the easier it is for all people to complete their sets, via trading; trying to do it on your own by dumping $200 won't do it.

But you could get 200 pieces for $140 and have a large number for trading, and hopefully get through it that way.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    edited December 2012
    Xenthos said:
    1) I feel I have to encourage you to buy, because I've already invested quite a bit and I can't really justify spending more, but I still need a good 11 pieces.
    2) On the other side, the packs contain both the old and new Czigany pieces, which I've registered a concern about already; there are 40 possible curio pieces, so 400 possible pieces.
    This makes completing things semi-difficult (but not impossible, Neraiche completed a Fae Knight mask with less spent than I at the time of completion).

Basically: The more people who buy them, the easier it is for all people to complete their sets, via trading; trying to do it on your own by dumping $200 won't do it.

But you could get 200 pieces for $140 and have a large number for trading, and hopefully get through it that way.
    It's possible, yes... we'll see, I'll probably buy some tomorrow at some point, though really... the one thing I'm interested in is the marionette mask.

EDIT: Then again... I don't know yet, I might decide to spend the money on the... make me a warrior fund.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • I know this a bit late, but can we get a Tattoo Artist's package? I'm surprised there is no package with the tattoo needle in it, and I think it should be available.