Movember/No-Shave November

KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
Ok, so this is a thread mainly directed at the guys around here for obvious reasons (No offense to all the females that frequent here and play lusternia...)

As some/most of you know, "Movember" or "No-Shave November" is a month where we guys refrain from shaving off our facial hair, or at the very least our moustaches, as a way of our supporting male health  (primarily focussing around Prostate cancer and depression)

While it is a bit late into the month, I figured it would be worth making a thread where those guys who are showing their support to post pictures of the progress of "growth" and perhaps a final pic at the end of the month before they finally shave it off again (But keep in mind that if you are a true supporter, you can not touch it with scissors, the most you are allowed to do is comb it to keep it looking neat!)

It's a little too late at night for me to get a photo up right now but I'll post one here tomorrow most likely.
Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

Comments

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I prefer to call it "Celebate November." It's not as catchy, but beards are gross.
  • I call it Movember. And I am a Mo-Bro! I will put a pic up of the end of the month later. It's not that big at the moment heh.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    No beard to be found here; the sentiment is great (awareness), but I am not sure how getting lax about personal grooming really helps that out.

That, and whenever I have neglected to shave for a week or two it is just... eugh. *shiver*
  • It puts me at a bit of an impasse. On one hand, I'd be happy to grow out the facial hair. On the other hand, It'll take me a bit to get it long enough to be acceptable, and no one wants to give a job to Scruffles McHoboface.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Posts like this make me momentarily wish that I was normally clean-shaven so that I could grow out facial hair for a cause.

Alas, that I should be permanently bearded, for I cannot make an event of growing hair.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Portius said:
    Posts like this make me momentarily wish that I was normally clean-shaven so that I could grow out facial hair for a cause.

Alas, that I should be permanently bearded, for I cannot make an event of growing hair.
    You could do something else to draw attention to it. Dye it bright green!
  • edited November 2012
    I will try later.
    Deleted post.
  • No, no I have never heard of such a thing as "no-shave" month. What is it, and how can it work and what does it have to do with depression and cancer?

And lastly, and most important of all, is anyone going to grow themselves a snazzy Fu Manchu moustache?
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • I haz a beard again.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Kiradawea said:
    No, no I have never heard of such a thing as "no-shave" month. What is it, and how can it work and what does it have to do with depression and cancer?

And lastly, and most important of all, is anyone going to grow themselves a snazzy Fu Manchu moustache?
    It is a fundraising initiative to raise money to go towards Male Cancer (particularly prostate cancer) and Men's Health (largely focussing around Depression) initiatives.  It has done quite well since it was first thought up in in 2004, having raised close to $400 million, $156 million of it being last year alone.

Info can be found at http://movember.com

• Huh, weird. It is supposedly in Norway as well but... I've never heard of it, and I'm not quite sure I get how it'll work when you're essentially sponsoring sloth. Why do people join this particular event?
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • I joined to be lazy. There are actually rules in my area. It's Moustache only. Hence Movember. So goatees and so on don't count. I have curled mine up like an italian chef.
    Kiradawea said:
    Huh, weird. It is supposedly in Norway as well but... I've never heard of it, and I'm not quite sure I get how it'll work when you're essentially sponsoring sloth. Why do people join this particular event?
    I join because I know people with prostate cancer and I know someone who committed suicide as a result of chronic depression when I was younger.  Anything that can help people with depression get the support that they need is a good thing in my books.

Anywho, I know it's pretty late in, but here is a photo of my progress so far.

• Ugh, no thanks. I already have to put up with "Mustache March", one month out of the year is more than enough. Not that I even participate in that.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Huh, I thought I posted on here.

Did Movember for the first time this year, was actually the first time I ever allowed myself to grow a moustache as opposed to shaving it off.

How the hell is one suppose to drink a can of coke without the bristles getting in the way!?

Also I look like a cross between Inigo Montoya and the creepy guy from Euro Trip.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Here is the before and after for no-shave-november

• You look cuter with it ;)
  • Sakr: keep the beard and glasses. Like me, you look MUCH better with it

"He was well fed, and on his way to being slightly intoxicated--which contributed to his sense of wellbeing. And, most important, he was among friends. There can't be much more to life than this, he thought."  -Pug's thoughts on his first Ale (via Raymond Feist)

Visit my personal authorial website. (coming back up soon, with my first publications)
    Coding Resources: Mechanic's Corner | Code Academy | StackOverflow
  • It depends on how young I want to feel, as in do I want to be carded or waved off?

I also tend to cut the hair in different styles after I grow it out. Had the cat tail, had the fu-manchu, had the stache, goatee, handlebars, it's rather fun. @Majanishi

• Heh well @Sakr, I've learned that it's more fun to tell insolent whelps to GET OFF MAH LAWN rather than get asked by the bouncer while I'm smashed to show him my ID. Hardest. Thing. Ever.

"He was well fed, and on his way to being slightly intoxicated--which contributed to his sense of wellbeing. And, most important, he was among friends. There can't be much more to life than this, he thought."  -Pug's thoughts on his first Ale (via Raymond Feist)

Visit my personal authorial website. (coming back up soon, with my first publications)
  • @Majanishi I tend to go to class with this the beard and everything for a good month, then pop in clean shaven, different clothing, different pair of glasses, sit down and scan the classroom and act like I'm taking notes. The teacher would usually ask me, "Who are you?" To which I would reply "I'm the instructor reviewer, haven't your received the memo?" with an audible muttering of "dock points here".

:D
  • Ha nice