Families and adoption

So this is both a question and an idea, which I'm sure might have been thought of before - why can't we make it possible to adopt a child with just one family member?

You could still keep the requirement for marriage, if you'd like, but it's hard on people who really want to have children and can't because their spouse had to take a break/left inexplicably/etc. and they don't want to have to divorce their spouse, start from scratch, and potentially run into the same situation.  

I think I've seen it done in Imperian, where you can have just one parent - couldn't we make it a thing here too, with a potential to recognize the other spouse as the parent as well/if they return?  Naturally the child would take on the name of whomever is adopting them, still could have the same time constraints, etc.  Unless it's a question of it screwing up the family trees?

--------
"You are so much bigger than you think you are," She says, fervently. "You are a beacon of hope that shines through the world with every step you take. You are My beacon, Gabriella, and you shine even into the darkest of nightmares."
--------
The air sparkles with silver motes of light as a silken voice says, "You will see growth and strength where others will see weakness. You will walk with Us as a paragon of Serenwilde's power, for you have already walked this path before."

Comments

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I would support such an arrangement. But I think the hammer already came down on that issue.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Daraius said:
    I would support such an arrangement. But I think the hammer already came down on that issue.
    You and me are in the same boat, Daraius.  But I'm curious as to why it would be rejected, if that was the case.  Someone enlighten me?
    --------
    "You are so much bigger than you think you are," She says, fervently. "You are a beacon of hope that shines through the world with every step you take. You are My beacon, Gabriella, and you shine even into the darkest of nightmares."
    --------
    The air sparkles with silver motes of light as a silken voice says, "You will see growth and strength where others will see weakness. You will walk with Us as a paragon of Serenwilde's power, for you have already walked this path before."
    Gabriella said:
    You and me are in the same boat, Daraius.  
    NO ONE CAN KNOW THE DEPTH OF MY DESPAIR
    I used to make cakes.

edited October 2014
    But actually, as I recall from when the family system was overhauled, Estarra basically said there would never be single-parent families. In Lusternia, two parents are required to consider and adopt a child into a family, the end. I believe we mentioned scenarios where one partner went inactive and the other didn't want to divorce for RP reasons and asked for the possibility of one parent adopting. Later on we got the option for parents to consider a child separately, which was super helpful for couples with mismatched login times, or with times that don't often overlap with the kid they're adopting, but still requires two active parents. Someone might be able to find the original discussion, but I can't go digging for it until after work. ;;)

I used to make cakes.

• I seem to remember this coming up before greathouse were even established, and the concern was that single parents would be too great of an advantage in the expansion of a greathouse.
  • Well I can see that being a legitimate concern.  What if there was some sort of limitation put in place then, for single-parents?  Like, you can only adopt one child in such a manner, for a certain amount of time, or the consideration period has to be longer - or both?  
    --------
    --------
  • The only way I could see it work would be that single parent children only count as half or possibly not at all for the greathouse count. Although having 20.5 people in a family would be weird :P
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Rialorm said:
    The only way I could see it work would be that single parent children only count as half or possibly not at all for the greathouse count. Although having 20.5 people in a family would be weird :P
    It's not that strange.

The 0.5 could be a furrikin.

</flees>
  • it could potentially work.  Make the adoption period for a one-person parent two years instead of one, or three.  Make it so that you can only adopt a child with one parent once every five years - something like that.  Or so that only people who are married can be single parents, if one spouse is dormant.   Great Houses with two parents snipe children all the time, so I don't see why everyone else should be penalized for not wanting to break rp and abandon everything just to build their own families.
    --------
    --------
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Trader Bob sells everything else, why not adoption certificates for single parents?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    I downvote this entire thread. No. Simply because the playerbase could not handle it without gaming. How many families have been hit for gaming greathouse already?
  • Gabriella said:
    it could potentially work.  Make the adoption period for a one-person parent two years instead of one, or three.  Make it so that you can only adopt a child with one parent once every five years - something like that.  Or so that only people who are married can be single parents, if one spouse is dormant.   Great Houses with two parents snipe children all the time, so I don't see why everyone else should be penalized for not wanting to break rp and abandon everything just to build their own families.
    I think a longer adoption period and a limit to how often it can be done would be fair. So would single parent adoption with the same limits if one spouse is dormant.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • A similar problem by the way, is Bloodbonding more than one sibling.

Daganev said:
    A similar problem by the way, is Bloodbonding more than one sibling.

You can bloodbond more than one sibling......just one at a time. 
  • Munsia said:
    Daganev said:
    A similar problem by the way, is Bloodbonding more than one sibling.

You can bloodbond more than one sibling......just one at a time. 

When we tried that, the previous set of brothers had to reject eachother before bonding the next one.
    That's a bug