Presents!

edited October 2012 in Common Grounds

Let me know what you think of the new PRESENTS command! (I've already done a few tweaks based on some comments I got.)

Comments

• edited October 2012
    I see this system making the usual Christmas "I found where the gnome spawns are, muahahahahaha" nonsense being even worse...

Though I'm not sure how that will play out with the 1 gnome limit in place.
  • I see this system making the usual christmas "I found where the gnome spawns are, muahahahahaha" nonsense being even worse...
    I think the gnomes probably have different odds and artifacts in them.
  • Ayisdra said:
    I see this system making the usual christmas "I found where the gnome spawns are, muahahahahaha" nonsense being even worse...
    I think the gnomes probably have different odds and artifacts in them.

Actually, no, gnomes have the same odds. We can and do, however, occasionally adjust add or remove some artifacts and adjust odds accordingly. (So feel free to make suggestions!)
  • Ahh. Well in that case, I don't see how it differs all that much from the usual step-up systems on credit purchases, and have no complaints. :P
  • (Although more so for the gnomes I suppose) I would like to see odds for the login day artifacts that some people have may missed. I'm not if this is really something yo would want to do, checking for what artifacts the person has and randomly giving them a chance at one if they are missing one.

• Seems like a good idea in general to me. Don't have any actual artifact suggestions yet, as I didn't get to take a good look at it, but this way, you'll at least feel some sort of progress when you get yet another present full of beast enhancement pills.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • I suppose I'd suggest adding the trade specific arties to the ultimate level [given relative cost and the presence of the paintbrush/chisel], though with a present from that level presumably you could trade what you don't want for the credit cost anyway.

Otherwise it's nifty to see what all one can actually get from these [and to know the exact percentage to blame the RNGs for].

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• Estarra said:
    OMG, I read that as "breast enhancement pills" and spent a few moments trying to figure out what we had in Lusternia that this could refer to!

Heh...

we do.

It's called the bubble of gender switching.

More seriously. How about including the influencing runes as a gift in the Standard or Superior? That does make them somewhat expensive creditwise for that range, but I would find them to be very disappointing gifts for Exceptional.

Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • I love the thinking behind this. For me it makes presents even more exciting.

Looking at the numbers, they don't add up to 100%, e.g. ultimate adds to 91%, standard adds to 60% plus 44 '>1%', etc. Unless in that case the >1% means <1%.
  • edited October 2012
    There will be some rounding errors. 1% could be exactly 1.00% or it could be 1.99%.
  • I like the counter and the increasing odds of good presents is a fantastic touch, though I don't like how the liquids/comms are still in the higher tiers. Earlier I received an exceptional supply of botulinum, and another present was an exceptional supply of green tea leaves.

I did also see this:

You quickly unwrap a divinely wrapped present, which sprays glittering silver dust and cheerful 
    confetti into the air, and grin enormously upon receiving  credits.
    You've unwrapped a SUPERIOR present! Type PRESENTS to see your Gift Counter.

Would it be possible to show how many credits you received without having to check?
  • Estarra said:
    Kiradawea said:
    Seems like a good idea in general to me. Don't have any actual artifact suggestions yet, as I didn't get to take a good look at it, but this way, you'll at least feel some sort of progress when you get yet another present full of beast enhancement pills.
    OMG, I read that as "breast enhancement pills" and spent a few moments trying to figure out what we had in Lusternia that this could refer to!
    It's a penumbra artifact.
  • I added the influence runes!
  • Cool. Hrm, what about the liquid rift expansion drops as well? Though from what I recall the present lists were great as they were, so maybe not add too many different things to them...

Oh, and can the commodities/liquids given out be set? So that if you do get commodities from an Exceptional present, you at least get Steel/Sparkleberries, rather than Rope/Colewort?
  • I am also a huge fan of the addition of presents.  It is nice to actually see some of numbers and odds behind a bit of the RNG which is everyone in Lusternia.  However, I wanted to add to some of the comments on commodities and liquids being in some of the higher presents.  It would be nice if they were removed even if the odds for the higher presents were dropped accordingly.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    .....are breast enhancement artifacts out of the question?
  • If you want to share Penumbra with the rest of the basin, I'm sure they'd gladly accept.
  • Clothing warmth and cool runes for Superior presents.
  • I find the "presents" command a good idea overall. I don't know about the gnomes at all, but I always seem to get gypped as far as Ironbeard goes. I'm glad for the wheel, because I don't seem to get many presents from him. I think in the total time I've played Lusty (since what 2008?) I think I've gotten three presents from Ironbeard. One was dingbats that I gave to a friend and the other two were vials and palettes. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm out and about or in my manse. I can be online all day and not get anything while other people still seem to get several presents. So if you are going to look in changing anything maybe Ironbeard needs another look?