[ SPAR ] Selenity vs Maligorn

SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
edited November 2014 in Combat Logs
So, I sparred Maligorn because he's been teaching me how to bard... and... scrolling text of doom, ye Gods.

I think part of my problem was that I assumed he was earworting when he wasn't (oops), thought he was captivating while I was and ended up canceling my own captivation (oops again), and then... something happened and I was constantly unable to do things no matter how much I spammed?...

If the link magically stops working in the next 24 hours let me know and I'll put the HTML somewhere else. Thanks!

Edit: New link

Comments

• Two things:

You didn't diagnose enough -- my hidden confusion from violetvibrato is what kept you off balance so much.

Vadi still hasn't fixed the way m&m cures violetvibrato. It still tries kombu cures, when most if not all affs of violetvibrato have been moved to lucidityslush. Not your fault on this one except the aforementioned you should diag more (or make m&m diag for you -- it's in your mmconfig menu, how many hidden affs it takes before m&m takes balance to diag and set you straight.

• You got newbed by soulless. He didn't even try to hide it and you just stood there. So that one is on you.

Captivate wasn't an issue because it didn't look like you had him on you enemy list. Just rejecting him isn't enough since it takes him off your enemy list.

You might want to check that your system is using springup instead of stand.

Not bad for someone relatively inexperienced though. Just remember to attack and hinder. You spent half the fight blanknoting someone who wasn't deaf or enemied.

In bard v bard combat, it's a straight race to DC. Don't let anything else distract you. No fancy attacks or flashy moves. Sprint to DC and don't look back.

• SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Llandros said:
    You got newbed by soulless. He didn't even try to hide it and you just stood there. So that one is on you.

Captivate wasn't an issue because it didn't look like you had him on you enemy list. Just rejecting him isn't enough since it takes him off your enemy list.

You might want to check that your system is using springup instead of stand.

Not bad for someone relatively inexperienced though. Just remember to attack and hinder. You spent half the fight blanknoting someone who wasn't deaf or enemied.

In bard v bard combat, it's a straight race to DC. Don't let anything else distract you. No fancy attacks or flashy moves. Sprint to DC and don't look back.
    Newbed by soulless... guessing that's the tarot card he killed me with? Or is death and soulless tarot different?

Is there a way in mmconfig to set stand to springup?

And what's DC?

Thanks for all the tips/hints!
  • Heh, sorry.

In tarot there is soulless. If you rub it on someone a number of times you can fling it at them for a timed insta death.

DC is discordant chord. Stick all 4 aurics hit discordant chord and then minor sixth and then damage them out. Be careful not to spam minor sixth on someone just DC's because if they are out of mana and ego minor sixth won't do anything and DC drops their mana and ego by half.

Asking questions and advice is how people get better at things. So keep up the good work!

• KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    The aeon+sleep is hard to deal with. I'm not sure it would have helped you here, but it looks like you weren't putting the kafe defense back up after you cured out of aeon. You'll want to 'mmkeep kafe on' for your relevant defense modes, if you haven't done that. It would also help you to use earwort when fighting other bards - 'th on' to toggle the mmkeep for truedeaf.

Yeah, not sure what you were doing there, but it looked like you went back and forth between captivating him and blanknote.. which would cancel your captivate.

Are you also using totally random illusions? You'll want to marry the illusion to your kill strategy or situation, for example you may want to force eating an herb with a cure priority higher than the affliction you're actually giving to delay the cure, or you can give an ectoplasm illusion to try to get them to cleanse and lose balance to slow their offense.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Kelly said:
    The aeon+sleep is hard to deal with. I'm not sure it would have helped you here, but it looks like you weren't putting the kafe defense back up after you cured out of aeon. You'll want to 'mmkeep kafe on' for your relevant defense modes, if you haven't done that. It would also help you to use earwort when fighting other bards - 'th on' to toggle the mmkeep for truedeaf.

Yeah, not sure what you were doing there, but it looked like you went back and forth between captivating him and blanknote.. which would cancel your captivate.

Are you also using totally random illusions? You'll want to marry the illusion to your kill strategy or situation, for example you may want to force eating an herb with a cure priority higher than the affliction you're actually giving to delay the cure, or you can give an ectoplasm illusion to try to get them to cleanse and lose balance to slow their offense.
    Okay, so, adding kafe to keepup, first step, got it. Done. Will remember truehearing for fighting bards, too.

I had sparred him a few times prior, and he had gotten me into thinking he'd keep putting up earwort, so when he didn't, I was still (in my head) expecting him to put it up again. And panicked thusly. I had a plan on how to do things, but when I wasn't able to do things a few times due to some equilibrium issues I was just going "AAAAGH WHAT HAPPENED" and... yeah.

I have a set of illusions and was randomly using the ones I had with hopes of one of them working in my favor somehow. For losing balance, I think a writhe illusion would work also for throwing off balance, wouldn't it? Maybe? For the herb priority, is there a list hiding somewhere of priorities for curing?
  • edited November 2014
    The first thing you need to do is to highlight. Scrolling walls of texts will scroll roughly 10 times faster in a team fight. Don't bother reading what is going on, come up with a colour coding for the important stuff. Red underlined lines for when he eats earwort or when your attacks hit deafness (the it appears to have no effect line) - don't blanknote until you see a red underline fly by. That should be the most important thing for you to keep track of as a bard. Eventually, you'll want to code blanknote tracking into your attack alias so it will automatically send blanknote instead of your attack macro when it tracks the opponent eating earwort.

Next, you'll want to consider disabling auto-reject against hallibards. Reject is huge eq balance, and if they're giving hidden confusion, you're going to be in a world of hurt if you let the system reject for you. Do a similar highlight for when you get lusted, make it red or yellow or something eyecatching. Then, when you see that colour, hit your reject alias. Your reject alias should automatically reject your target and enemy him (enemying someone does not require eq, so you can reject and enemy at the same time). Eventually, you'll want to make it track who lusted you, and dynamically reject that person instead, but for now, keep it simple. You'll also eventually want to highlight other lines that clue you into the fact that you are lusted (like your helpful passives healing your enemies, if you have any) in the same way.

Thirdly, tell m&m to cure paranoia based on your spiritsinger clue line. Specifically, your ancestral spirit hitting yourself. Specifically this line:

One of the pale spirits swirling around Selenity looms before you, howling
    guttural curses that cause your limbs to quiver.

Trigger it and make it tell m&m you're paranoid, then you don't need to highlight it. You can do so by putting in the codebox:

(mm.valid.proper_paranoia or mm.valid.simpleparanoia)()
    I forgot if m&m stores paranoid as "paranoia" or "paranoid", you'll want to use mmshow to check and use the right one. Eventually, you can come back to add additional illusion checks to it, but most of the time, m&m will be able to handle it.

And yes, you'll need to lower your system threshold for hidden afflictions, especially while the overhaul is still partly implemented. Once it is fully implemented, vadi will likely change violetvibrato to assume some other lucidity aff instead of deadening. For now, just make the system diagnose more often.

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Did no one say metawake?

Metawake metawake metawake, Hallibards have no way of stripping it, so keep it up, it's worth the mana drain. 

Yes, better tracking of earwort, I wouldn't bother with captivate 1v1. 

Also, use your bard stuff, fugue the shit out of him, take away his song, illusion fugues so it messes with his song tracking (assuming he has song tracking).

I don't know why more people don't do this, but since Illusioning is on it's own balance, you should be spamming illusions each time it's back on balance. Kelly's right in you should be using illusions that help you, whether it's by trying to force a cure balance or even just making him panic by illusioning dsongs and stuff. I think mental illusions are far better than mechanical illusions anyway. Stay away from illusions that are easily checked by systems, they just waste your time.

Also, someone should message Vadi about fixing violetvibratto (I'm looking at you @Maligorn)

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Selenity said:
    I have a set of illusions and was randomly using the ones I had with hopes of one of them working in my favor somehow. For losing balance, I think a writhe illusion would work also for throwing off balance, wouldn't it? Maybe? For the herb priority, is there a list hiding somewhere of priorities for curing?
    Writhe does work, but it can be done off-balance so it's not necessarily as good as a cleanse cured-affliction, which requires and then uses balance.

If you do "mmshow", you should be able to click and view m&m's different cure priorities. Some people may tweak their own cure priorities or use different systems, but it's a good place to start!

• Synkarin said:
    Did no one say metawake?

Metawake metawake metawake, Hallibards have no way of stripping it, so keep it up, it's worth the mana drain. 

Yes, better tracking of earwort, I wouldn't bother with captivate 1v1. 

Also, use your bard stuff, fugue the shit out of him, take away his song, illusion fugues so it messes with his song tracking (assuming he has song tracking).

I don't know why more people don't do this, but since Illusioning is on it's own balance, you should be spamming illusions each time it's back on balance. Kelly's right in you should be using illusions that help you, whether it's by trying to force a cure balance or even just making him panic by illusioning dsongs and stuff. I think mental illusions are far better than mechanical illusions anyway. Stay away from illusions that are easily checked by systems, they just waste your time.

Also, someone should message Vadi about fixing violetvibratto (I'm looking at you @Maligorn)
    I was enjoying the actually hidden aspect of vv. :(

But I'll send him a message next I can, and I'll post on his m&m thread here.