How would -you- picture the intro to be?

edited November 2014 in Common Grounds
I've often heard from many players that they are not pleased with how the current intro functions and the story (myself being one of them I admit), and so I thought it would be rather neat if players could express their idea of the best lusternia intro.

For myself, I would love if the intro brought up more of the base storyline of Lusternia. The basin is tainted, the old empire gone, The omen of the soulless gods always hovering, nations battle for the limited resources, etc. I would love if the scene was placed that the newcommer is put in some sort of flashback of the entire affair (naturally an illusion recreated by the fates) and would have to accomplish basic tasks.

Some ideas:

A soulless attacking a city.
The fall of Celest.
The final battle of the vernal
An unknown city attempting to assemble a nexus and raise a mortal to godhood.
The mortal races picking up the pieces to start a life in a corrupted world.
The day of the coming of Estarra (story around this is pretty ambigous as is. Could be a good example to use)

I find action-packed/story-packed introductions to generally be the best in giving newplayers a taste of what the game is about. While the current intro is a nice quest, I feel it really isnt illustrating what the story of Lusternia is. It most definitely shows us how the mechanics work, but is lacking in the former part.

If anyone would like to submit their own ideas, or even certain mechanics in the introduction they'd like changed, go ahead.

Edit: cleaned up a bit and added other ideas

Comments

• The newton area is a fully coded area for the newbies. I doubt the admin will want to just abandon it completely. The storylines are great, of course, but the fink/gnome conflict is also a pretty big part of Lusternian lore.You could get a gnome or fink to talk about it, or add a quest that mentions the Elder they were splintered from, and the Soulless, I guess?

• Lerad said:
    The newton area is a fully coded area for the newbies. I doubt the admin will want to just abandon it completely. The storylines are great, of course, but the fink/gnome conflict is also a pretty big part of Lusternian lore.You could get a gnome or fink to talk about it, or add a quest that mentions the Elder they were splintered from, and the Soulless, I guess?
    I definitely wouldnt suggest abandon it. Even before the introduction of the latest intro, it was still a newbie-friendly area to level and learn. I'd just prefer if the intro wasnt made such a focus on it and it's quest
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited November 2014
    The Newton quest is not very informative of Lusternian lore. Maybe it could be, with some major dialogue tweaks, but it's not representative of the amazing backstory of the world that every character should start with. And the way new players are guided through that quest in the intro encourages skimming and clicking links over any kind of engagement in the plot (a plot which doesn't make any sense the way it's presented). Sadly, it was a command from on high to make the intro part of the "live game" instead of its own separate thing, so I'm not sure how much can be changed. Ignoring the fact that Newton is still separate from the "live game" and new players don't get any actual interaction there anyway, it apparently satisfies IRE's edict.

There are a few other things about the intro that make me sad but I'll stop beating that horse. For me, there are a few essential functions of an intro. The first, obviously, is to introduce key mechanics like navigating and sipping health, reading help files, communicating on aethers, etc. Those things can easily be addressed in any narrative framework. More importantly, the intro should have a strong narrative hook. It should be an actual story that introduces - even in very broad strokes - the most important elements of Lusternian lore: the Soulless threat and the sharding of the elders, the raising of Vernals and sealing of Kethuru, the Portal of Fate and its effect on people that pass through it. These, to me, are the important things every single new character should be exposed to immediately. The gnome-fink conflict, the bizarre existence of an ant queen in a volcano, glassblade gloves - those are not important to developing a character and the intro disingenuously presents them as the crux of Lusternian lore. Newton is a side quest. Keep it, but don't present it as the central conflict of the game. (oops, there I go again) 

I could be wrong, but from my own experience, early immersion in the lore is what gets a player interested in a game. Look at every single other RPG in existence: the intro exposes a player to the broad concepts and history of the game world (sometimes even in a cutscene, which I think gamers are totally okay with and expect), and guides them through basic mechanics. Both facets are expanded on throughout the game.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • I think I would picture the intro to be a lot of things, but the main point for me would to make it less 'beat you over the head with simplicity'. Nobody wants to play an easy game, and nobody wants to be told exactly what to do, and that if they don't do it, they can't play the game.

Still, like @Daraius says, there's not really any point talking about this until something happens that we get to suggest changes.
    Retired.
  • Not to be a downer to the admin, but I have invited three people (two new to muds) now to lusternia and they did try the game, two of the made it past the intro, not sure about the other one. One of them flat out told me they would not come back it was not fun for them but he ran through the world for the lol's cause he couldn't be killed.

Of the people one of them I may be able to convince to come back because they used to play games like this, he is the one I am not sure what happened to, I am not sure he made it past the intro at all.
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• edited November 2014
    As someone who literally just joined the other day, I'm really glad I read the history section of the website before I started playing. The whole Newton area is pretty silly (I half expected to run into a hatter and a march hare) and if I didn't already know there was a lot more to the setting I probably would have stopped around the time I hit the random talking volcanic ants. As mechanics explanation and a lighthearted side quest it's not bad at all but it really doesn't sell Lusternia as a setting. 

Honestly, it might not be elegant, but a big obvious OOC message saying "Hey, check out all the awesome lore we've written at www.lusternia.com/histories-of-lusternia" would let people know that there is more to the world than mushroom people and "Dirty Finks" if they want to take the time to read about it. Maybe throw in a short cutscene like Darius suggested before the player first meets the Fates. It wouldn't have to be anything long or fancy; even just strange disjointed visions of the Elder Wars or the fallout of Cosmic Hope might give new players some idea of setting's general themes.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    The old intro was a flashback-syle intro in Shallamar that I thought worked really well.

Unfortunately, the new intro was mandated and directed by Corporate On High, so while our Admin can make little tweaks and changes, especially, if something isn't working, they can't change the meat-and-potatoes structure of the intro, because it has to be done this way.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • As pointed above, I personally would feel it would help Lusternia if we focus on it's strongest selling point: It's lore. No one can deny how full of flavor and magic the lore is that has gained so many fans over the years. Does anyone remember when the Elder war stories were still coming out? We'd all be like fangirls screaming for the next book.

I admit that what attracted me first to Lusternia was the lore. I was telling a friend how much I enjoy a good story and strong lore and they told me Lusternia would be the place for me. I think if we showcase that, we could attract others that are particularly fond of such aspects.
  • edited November 2014
    I think that part of the thing that the Collegium quests are supposed to do is give a little taste of some of the lore behind each of the cities/communes.

Unfortunately, I think that it might come across as a bit bland, since it comes across in just a bunch of tells (likely so that anyone else in the room isn't flooded with info every time a student hands the item to the teacher.)

If the the new intro with the fates is set in stone, perhaps a solution might be to make the collegium quests a little bit more dynamic. Perhaps in the same way that some of the newer quests provoke a conversation-like tone with the person asking.

For example: Insightful Chum says, "<A bunch of stuff about a goat.>"
                       -say "What the hell are you talking about you crazy old man?"

That sort of thing. That way, not only is a bit more of the cool lore behind the cities could be revealed, but the newbie also feels like they're engaging, rather than just being lectured at.

Of course, I've got no ideas of the difficulties/desire to have anything like this implemented. It's just a thought.
    With an exasperated sigh, you say, "One moment please, I'm threatening a muffin in a box!"
  • edited November 2014
    Since I've got some free time on my hand while taking a sick day, i'll write up a scenario of what I think the intro should be:

(makes new character)

You find yourself swimming through a sea of darkness, unaware how you got here nor where 'here' even is.

The darkness begins to fade, slowly, and you find yourself laying upon a cobblestone pathway, worn down from the years of travelers walking by. Looking around yourself, you discover you are within a city. A dull pain echoes in your mind, and you ponder if your recent blackout was the result of some blow to the head.

Leaning up, you rub your head, attempting to shake off the annoying ringing sound going through your mind, before you realize it is actually echoing throughout the entire city. Your realize it is a warning siren.

Screams of panic fill the once quiet streets as you see in the distance citizens running down a road frantically, in their hands holding whatever they could in a last ditch effort.

Beginning to wonder what is going on, you pause as you feel a hand touch down on your shoulder, turning about, you see the visage of a young cloaked woman, looking down worriedly at you.

"Are you feeling alright? You seem to have taken a tumble", here take a sip of this

<Drink health test>

A young cloaked woman says "Hurry, we must flee, the Soulless are assaulting the city".

Wondering what she is even talking about, you have little time to ponder before she grabs your hand and pulls you along a side-path. Believing it is for the best to follow, you rush down a dark alley. In the distance, you make out a large bulbous fleshy creature hovering over the city, sending down hundreds of tendrils to whisk away helpless citizens towards one of its many mouths.

A young cloaked woman says "There are several secret exits built into the city in preparation for this day. I know of one close-by."

Taking a turn, you suddenly stop before you slam into the young woman, who seems to have halted in her tracks, before you can inquire what is the problem, a hand is raised to your mouth to stop you from speaking. Looking at you worriedly, the young woman raises a finger to her lips as she points down a large road. You notice a large tentacle with several mouths opened along it, thrashing through a nearby building and sending marble flying.

"Oh no, the exit is being blocked by that tendril, quickly, we must get past it!"

<basic bashing test>

A large tendril retreats back quivering from the blows, revealing a sewer grate behind it.

Taking your hand again, the young woman pushes forward and taps on the grate. As it slides open, you dodge down with her into the dark sewer.

Breathing a sigh of relief, a the young woman lowers her hood and smiles at you "Phew, that was a close one, things should be easier now, we just need to follow this path to the outdoors. My name is Clotho by the way, what is yours?"

<introduction to says and tells>

Looking at you curiously, Clotho states "You seem a bit new to all this, I suppose this was your first attack. Do you know what that was?"

<introduction to Soulless threat>

TO BE CONTINUED

Basically my idea is to introduce the newcommer to the core theme of the game by having them thrown straight into the action. I have always found that the intros that put my character directly into a war-like scenario to be the most fun.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    This very much resembles the old Shallamar intro. I liked it. Too bad it's not coming back.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Everiine said:
    This very much resembles the old Shallamar intro. I liked it. Too bad it's not coming back.
    Yeah. I feel like the Shallamar one did enough to hint at history and the like without shoving it down your throat. If Newton is going to be the new intro, it probably needs more work to feel... more connected to the rest of the game, and not just the newbie area. Aetherspace quest connections just isn't enough.