Crafting NPCs

Perhaps this already exists and I've just missed it, but I was thinking it would be really helpful to have an NPC for each crafting profession that has access to all public designs and access to city/commune designs based on an individual's organization affiliation. This would help with professions like Tattoos, of which there aren't many, at least that I've found, that do Tattooing. The prices would probably need to be a little jacked so that they aren't an everyday go to for people seeking particular items, but it would be nice to have around if what you're looking for isn't readily available in your organization or an allied organization.

Furthering this idea, I would really like the ability to buy an NPC for my manse shop that can do my trade work in my absence. They would have the same skill as I do at my craft and have access to all the designs I have access to. I can set the price on each item as well as refuse service to certain individuals or organizations. To make this a little harder to obtain, it could be required that you have them in a separate room that has the trade work bench miniature applied to it. I don't think it would be smart to have one NPC that can cover all of your trade skills if you can skillflex easily as demigods often can. This would require a second NPC.

I can see this being really cool for massive manses like Deepnight, where you could purchase/rent a room and put your craftsman in there or something. What are everyone's thoughts on this feature?

"He was well fed, and on his way to being slightly intoxicated--which contributed to his sense of wellbeing. And, most important, he was among friends. There can't be much more to life than this, he thought."  -Pug's thoughts on his first Ale (via Raymond Feist)

Visit my personal authorial website. (coming back up soon, with my first publications)
Coding Resources: Mechanic's Corner | Code Academy | StackOverflow

Comments

• Honestly, I'm not too fond of it, since it would introduce a definite ceiling on what people can charge for their work. While sure, at the moment that's not much of an issue (most people work for tips), it's still something I'm not sure we need.

The second idea of having your own NPC and setting the price yourself is a definite no in my eyes. It will make it far harder for newbies to enter the crafting scene, since some of the more established will no doubt have these NPCs create things for free.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    You can already stock everything crafted except tattoos, furniture, and books in shops. I don't see that this would work for furniture, and I've never had a problem finding bookbinders, which makes me think that the main problem here is the availability of tattooists. In which case, wouldn't a way to sell tattoos in shops be an easier solution?

• Have them make temporary tattoos that have the same effect, but last for a lesser amount of time, making the permanent ones still far better.
  • If you want to make tattoos less of a hassle, the number one thing to do is to allow tattooists to tattoo themselves. Which is not possible, and I don't see changing any time soon. I understand where the admin come from with this, and in a sense it's nice to have that kind of sense of reality in the skillset. But from the perspective of a player? It's just a pointless hassle.

If the admin aren't willing to allow tattooists to tattoo themselves, I highly doubt they will be receptive to suggestions for mobile trade-skill users.

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink

Morshoth said:
    Have them make temporary tattoos that have the same effect, but last for a lesser amount of time, making the permanent ones still far better.
    What do they call those temporary tattoos kids always get?

• Qistrel said:

Morshoth said:
    Have them make temporary tattoos that have the same effect, but last for a lesser amount of time, making the permanent ones still far better.
    What do they call those temporary tattoos kids always get?
    Cheap trash.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • henna tattoos I think. It usually comes off after washing several times, or over the period of a few weeks.
  • I rather hate the idea to be honest. Why did I bother to get Transcendent in Tailoring if an NPC can get handed a roll o cloth and slap together 80% of the designs I have? Why bother with any of the fabrication tradeskills?
  • If this was a different game, the crafting NPC's could work if there were no shops. You would have those and they can build for you if you're not in the realms, based on your trade skill level. It would also be a step away from the walmart shops which make breaking into your profession as a novice for commercial gain much harder.

But here in Lusternia, I'm sorry man but I don't see how it would work and not throw away the trade conceptions we already have, sadly.
  • No this is exactly why I posted this here... I've been inactive for ages so I lack context - I am seeking eyes to input suggestions on a couple ideas I had, and you guys did just that, including valid reasons why it's not a good idea. I guess it's tough for me to see everyone's side of it because I'm an Herbalist and thus wouldn't really benefit from this idea at all.

Thanks for the input guys. I should mention the idea behind this is so that you can still do business while out of the realms, however you make a good point that shops already allow that.

"He was well fed, and on his way to being slightly intoxicated--which contributed to his sense of wellbeing. And, most important, he was among friends. There can't be much more to life than this, he thought."  -Pug's thoughts on his first Ale (via Raymond Feist)

Visit my personal authorial website. (coming back up soon, with my first publications)
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I'm not a big fan of the trade/cartel/shop system either, so let's keep brainstorming, but this isn't IT. 
  • Frankly, I liked an idea that was floated around back when stockrooms became limited: The ability for shopkeepers to buy production licenses. After that, they could stock that specific type of clothing in their shop while only using a single item. Example:

I approach Jeweller A about a license to create a certain ring design. That jeweller then takes the comms needed to create the items (along with whatever gold deemed necessary) and creates the "license" item. I then take that to my shop and put it for sale; any time someone comes around to buy that ring, the amount left in the license is reduced by one, and a fresh ring is created.

This could, of course, be extended to most professions (directly to tailors and bookbinders, and a similar system for enchanters), while others are fine as they are now (herbs, alchemy, poisons).
  • So it simplifies stocking a shop?

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Sounds that way.  Also makes it so you can have more items in the shop at a time, too.
  • That's not a bad idea, in my opinion.

• Back when the stockrooms became limited, the people that were hit the hardest by it were the crafters (tailors, forgers, etc) since they would hit the 250-item limit far quicker than the concoctionists/herbalists/poisonists. This change would reverse that a little, while keeping the intended effect of cutting the amount of items in the game.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Yeah, you could make the thing for 500 kirigamis and wetfolds, and it would just take up 2 slots (and 2 items in the database).
  • And you'd possibly be able to stock books and journals, since they're created when they're bought!
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.

Ssaliss said:
    Frankly, I liked an idea that was floated around back when stockrooms became limited: The ability for shopkeepers to buy production licenses. After that, they could stock that specific type of clothing in their shop while only using a single item. Example:

I approach Jeweller A about a license to create a certain ring design. That jeweller then takes the comms needed to create the items (along with whatever gold deemed necessary) and creates the "license" item. I then take that to my shop and put it for sale; any time someone comes around to buy that ring, the amount left in the license is reduced by one, and a fresh ring is created.

Imperian does a variation of this. I love it.

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.