The Histories of Lusternia: Audiobook Version

TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
edited February 2014 in World Library
Following a discussion on one of the Facebook groups, @Xena suggested that the histories would be much more accessible to people if presented in audiobook form.

The first part seems to have gone down astonishingly well with those who've listened to it, so, I figured it was only right to post it here so that people not on Facebook can see it :) I'm aware that there will inevitably be things that I pronounce differently to some people, so please bear with that. Hopefully it won't be too irritating or incorrect. I've quickly been finding that whilst the books might seem short, they are in fact significantly longer than I expected in audio form. I'm going to try and keep each file below 10 minutes, which will mean that some of the books are over multiple files. That is, assuming people want me to carry on making them!

So without further ado or fretting on my part:

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    These are incredibly well done.  I would like them more if I could!
  • Absolutely fantastic! I approve wholeheartedly of your efforts and would shower upon you truefavours and other joys, were it physically, mentally, or spiritually possible for me to actually do so.
  • I hope you don't mind, Tacita - I moved this to the World Library and pinned it!
  • This is full of so much win. :)
    -----

Nilofer says, "Xena is here, riding Xena, the Xenaesque Xena. She is wielding Xena in both of her hands."
  • You need to do this for a living, I could listen to you all day!
  • You should consider uploading to something like soundcloud, which can be more easily shared and streamed.

You may want to combine these and maybe this would count as an artisinal for "voice acting".  
    [BANNERCODE]
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Supporting the idea of putting it up on soundcloud for streaming.
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    Tully said:
    You should consider uploading to something like soundcloud, which can be more easily shared and streamed.

You may want to combine these and maybe this would count as an artisinal for "voice acting".  
    I hadn't heard of Soundcloud - I'll look into it. :) Rapidshare was the first thing I thought of that would be as universal as possible, rather than a personal preference.
    edited February 2014
    Following the above advice I have also uploaded things to Soundcloud, which is quite lovely.

You can follow my stream here: https://soundcloud.com/miltonwords

:)
  • This is really amazing, you have a beautiful voice. And it does make the histories more accessible, I have many friends who will listen to this over reading a webpage.
  • edited January 2013
    Estarra said:

I love this! And I love your voice!

(Okay, everyone, everyone must now imagine Estarra with the voice of Tacita...)

So, I finally got to listen to it before I get home for the evening (yay Soundcloud!), and while Tacita's reading is fantastic, I really don't hear the Dame Edna/Lady Bunny blend that really makes the Estarra Voice come to life.

Are you sure you have the right link?

:-\"
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    The readings just need some epic background music and it'll be perfect.
    Idea: Fire up some epic background music and play it in sync with the readings.

I prefer my e-books unadulterated, thank-you-very-much!
    edited January 2013
    It's rather tough to imagine these any more perfect than they already are, really.  I rather feel like music would detract.
  • Okay, soooo I've been waiting for somebody to do this for AGES.  And now that it's happening, I really wanna help..  It's like my two favorite things are having a baby.  I'm listening to audiobooks about 80% of the time I'm playing Lusty.  This is totally my THING, man!  It seems like a lot of other people are interested in helping, too..  Anyone have any ideas on how we might go about making this a collaborative project?  I completely understand, Tacita, if you want to keep your project to yourself, but there's got to be something out there that we can help with! 

Rope somebody into coding an index for the different audio files.  Searchable!  Organizable!  Comments!  Links!  Favorites!  Downloads!

Imagine the possibilities!!

*has an enthusiastic fit of the vapours*
    edited February 2014
    I really am forcing myself to stop now and go to bed, but here is the third part - the Book of Trillillial. It's the longest yet by a long way!

Junia - I'm enjoying doing these so will most likely carry on, but there are a lot of them and it will take me a very long time to get through them all. I love hearing other versions of these though. What would be absolutely awesome would be if people did readings of in-game lore books and things like that (e.g. things like the new Time Dames books) as well as just these :)
  • Oh my god. In game lore books or even event postings. Ftw.
    -----

Nilofer says, "Xena is here, riding Xena, the Xenaesque Xena. She is wielding Xena in both of her hands."
  • Tacita said:
    I really am forcing myself to stop now and go to bed, but here is the third part - the Book of Trillillial. It's the longest yet by a long way!

Junia - I'm enjoying doing these so will most likely carry on, but there are a lot of them and it will take me a very long time to get through them all. I love hearing other versions of these though. What would be absolutely awesome would be if people did readings of in-game lore books and things like that (e.g. things like the new Time Dames books) as well as just these :)
    I was waiting for you to finish the Elder Wars before demanding you do the Icewynd, Lirangsha diaries and the "Book of Illith". *cough*
  • How come there's no download link for the History of the Elder Wars?
  • Think we could get Alicia to make us the database thingy..?

Coding is yet another thing with which I am not gifted.  I know, shock and awe.  (*is not good at anything, waaah*)
    Estwald said:
    How come there's no download link for the History of the Elder Wars?
    I believe that's because it is a set, rather than an individual file. I've enabled downloads for everything, so people should be able to get all the individual parts at least.
    edited February 2014
    History of the Elder Wars - 3: Book of Mugowumpois

Not sure about my Blooredi voice and may well redo this at some point but - here you go!
  • I just found this (I usually really only watch the mechanic's corner) and I wanted to stop by and say that you have done an absolutely -gorgeous- job of this. Especially for something which sounds like it began somewhat on a whim. 

Consider yourself heaped with flowery praise the likes of which I am unqualified to write. 

edited February 2014
    History of the Elder Wars - 4: Book of Tae

This one was so, SO much fun to do. Warning - these are getting really long!
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    These are great. Your pace and phrasing is super. I tried read one of the stories out loud and was gasping for breath at the end of the first paragraph.
    edited February 2014
    History of the Elder Wars - 5: Book of Tauro

Wherein I fail at making Shikari's voice sexy enough :(
  • Tacita said:
    History of the Elder Wars - 5: Book of Tauro

Wherein I fail at making Shikari's voice sexy enough :(
    Not quite as deep or snarling as I imagine it to be, but I'll take it! :)