Christmas Giveaway!

KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
edited December 2014 in The Real World
I'm going to try something a little different this time around, no one needs to "do anything", everyone has a relatively equal chance - those who are more active on the forums will have more of a chance though.

Every day between tomorrow and December 31st, I will use a random number generator to select a thread that currently exists in the forums (1 through 1,715), then from there I will generate a second random number based off how many posts have been made in that thread.  The person that corresponds with that particular number will be the winner for that day and will be announced in here.  In the interests of transparency, I will link the selected thread/post in a post here each day, however please note that no correspondence will be entered into.  Also please note that you can only be selected once.  If you come up a second time, my apologies, but I will choose another person.  I want to 'share the joy' as much as I can.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  Please note that while the winners will be announced daily, some prizes may not be distributed until as late as January 8th as I will be on vacation myself.  Also the dates will be in NZ time.  Lastly, winners will have FOUR DAYS to get back to me.  If I do not hear back from someone, I will choose another person.

If you are selected as a winner, you will get to choose a random number between 1-15.  Some prizes may be games on steam/humblebundle, others may be credits/dingbats/goop in Lusternia, others may be ebooks.  What each one IS, however, will be a surprise until someone actually selects it.  Think of it as a lucky dip!  That being said, in the spirit of a lucky dip, there is a couple of 'gag prizes' (though they have SOME level of usefulness...) so choose carefully!

1.  ?????
2.   ?????
3.   ?????
4.   ?????
5.   ?????
6.   ?????
7.   ?????
8.   ?????
9.   ?????
10.   ?????
11.   ?????
12.   ?????
13.   ?????
14.   ?????
15.   ?????

Winners:
December 18 (deadline: 12/22) : @Karlach
December 19 (deadline: 12/23) : @Dylara
December 20 (deadline: 12/24) : ???
December 21 (deadline: 12/25) : ???
December 22 (deadline: 12/26) : ???
December 23 (deadline: 12/27) : ???
December 24 (deadline: 12/28) : ???
December 25 (deadline: 12/29) : ???
December 26 (deadline: 12/30) : ???
December 27 (deadline: 12/31) : ???
December 28 (deadline: 1/1) : ???
December 29 (deadline: 1/2) : ???
December 30 (deadline: 1/3) : ???
December 31 (deadline: 1/4) : ???
Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

Comments

• KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    aaaand the result for the 18th is as follows:

Number generated (1-29): 9

That makes the first winner... @Karlach !

Please PM me at your earliest convenience with the number you pick.  Your choice and what the prize was will be appended to this post.

• Considering he doesn't play anymore (or at least not on Karlach)... what will happen? A redraw, or will it simply go unclaimed?
    edited December 2014
    I'm going to give him the 4 days grace period, if he does not respond, then I will simply draw 2 winners on the corresponding day 4 days from now.

Keeping in mind that a number of prizes are steam games, it doesn't really matter if he uses the character or not, unless he happened to pick an in-lusternia prize.

ADVANCE WARNING:  There will be no winner drawn on the 21st (NZ time), but TWO drawn on the 22nd of December (NZ time) as I will be in transit from NZ to the USA (I leave at 12.30am on the 21st local time and arrive at 10:10pm on the 20th! (Pacific time)  I didn't know that a Boeing 737 was actually a flying Tardis!  >_>  )
    Yes I am quite aware of the time difference.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Your best bet is to reach him on Facebook.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited December 2014
    Expect @Karlach to come up more than once, too: He has the most posts on the forums! 

Between the top three posters (@Karlach, @Shaddus, and @Xenthos) are over nine thousand posts, no one but those three have made over 2500 posts.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    It does seem kind of unfair, %-wise. :p  Still, an interesting alternative.  Forum-lottery, each post is a ticket.
  • Enyalida said:
    Expect @Karlach to come up more than once, too: He has the most posts on the forums! 

Between the top three posters (@Karlach, @Shaddus, and @Xenthos) are over nine thousand posts, no one but those three have made over 2500 posts.
    Could just fix that by making it so that you can only win once.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    That's one of the conditions already. :)
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Xenthos said:
    It does seem kind of unfair, %-wise. :p  Still, an interesting alternative.  Forum-lottery, each post is a ticket.
    You'll do well enough :P Besides, nobody could prepare for this, in the past more posts only got you e-peen points and bragging rights and a custom title eventually. Sure you can go on a spamming spree now but it is quite a bit of catching up to do for the average person!
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
    Restricting each person to 1 gift maximum is the safest way to make sure that I don't end up with 2 or 3 people scooping all of them and getting around the fact that 2 or 3 people have made a large percentage of the posts.

That being said, considering the thread that was generated, @Alban could have easily been the winner and he has only posted 91 times.

• edited December 2014
    Daraius said:
    That's one of the conditions already. :)
    Oh... I thought I knew that. Why didn't I know that?  Sorry. :o3
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Well, amusingly, the generated winner of the 2nd drawing was @Eventru, but since he does not visit the forums anymore, I had to redraw.

Generated post number: 41

Thus, the winner is... @Dylara (and thus is proof that ANYONE can win, since he has made a mere 7 posts, the last one in January 2013... thus also leading me to believe he may be inactive.  As always, if I do not hear from the winner within 4 days, I will re-draw.)

• Yeah, I think 75% of the people drawn here will be inactive :(
    edited December 2014
    If it happens, it happens.  I have no problem with redrawing prizes if necessary.  That being said, I may refine the random number generator so that it only pulls threads from the last 12 months maybe rather than since the new forums started, there is more chance of getting active people that way.

If I do, I will alter the RNG so it selects from 1101-1715 (December 2013-December 2014 basically)

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    last 6 months may be even better to ensure activity.

Shouldn't be a big deal either since people can only win once

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    edited December 2014
    I'll see how things go for the time being and make adjustments as necessary.

Admittedly it would be nice if this drew some of the people that have gone dormant back out of the woodwork, but that wasn't really the goal in the first place.  Just felt like sharing the 'warm fuzzies' given the time of year.

• I fail.. I don't ever post, but read up on things.. So, no winning for me!!
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Man, if only this was the attitude you took in game, people may like you more

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Glevich said:
    I fail.. I don't ever post, but read up on things.. So, no winning for me!!
    Someone hasn't paid attention to the fact that @Dylara has made a whopping SEVEN posts yet still managed to come up.  Sure your chances are smaller, but they are still there.

Sorry about the lack of a draw today, things have been a mess. Waiting on my flight to Honolulu. Next draw will be on 22nd as scheduled.

edited January 2015
    My deepest apologies for things falling completely to pieces while I have been in the USA, I have had major internet issues my entire trip away.  That plus internet being my LOWEST priority while I've been gone led to me throwing up my hands, saying "To nil with it" and deciding to deal with it when I return from the USA.

I'm still going to do the giveaway, but may reschedule it until some other time a little down the track when I'm firmly settled back in NZ, possibly towards the end of this month.

• I did wonder where this one went... but yeah, I can definitely understand priorities and whatnot.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Yeah man, don't worry about us. Have fun! :smiley:
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Are you using the standard clib for rand? What value are you passing to srand?
    </RANT>
  • Nice. Talk about starting the new year with a bang. Wish you all the best.