Goop me, please.

ShaddusShaddus , the Leper MessiahOutside your window.
Seeing as @Saesh has this weird idea that our ideas and posts get noticed, I thought I'd get one starting on something I think was really underestimated.

I love aethergoop. Straight up, it's my favorite promotion from the last three+ years. Being able to customise my items is something I enjoy, and this just adds another dimension to it because the designers of the aethergooped items did fantastic work. I would like to see if the admin would institute another few months of aethergoop, or perhaps a semi-permanent quest to gain goop, or even a way to purchase goop from a mob for dingbats or credits.

Now, I'll be honest. There's a few items I don't feel likely sold very well, such as the Alchemists Pocketwatch (because who wants to pay 49 goop or 245 credits for unlimited salt/sulfur. No offense). If we phased some of these out, and added new items, or possibly even reduced some of the prices, I think it would do well. I'd also like to suggest allowing us to sell or transfer goop,  because many times I'm stuck with an odd amount of goop, or I want to buy a promising newbie a nondecay, resetting gasflame tinderbox.

Thoughts? Ideas? Constructive criticism?
Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.

Comments

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Allow us to change Censers with aethergoop. We can reskin lots of other artifacts, lets us do it with Censers!

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Shaddus said:
    Seeing as @Saesh has this weird idea that our ideas and posts get noticed, I thought I'd get one starting on something I think was really underestimated.

Now, I'll be honest. There's a few items I don't feel likely sold very well, such as the Alchemists Pocketwatch (because who wants to pay 49 goop or 245 credits for unlimited salt/sulfur. No offense).

The pocketwatch was sold at auction two times. I won both times. So, before the goop release, I owned the only two pocketwatches in the game. The first auction, I wanted the pocketwatch. The second time I won by mistake as I was trying to up the amount and no one out bid me. When I was a Shaman, the pocketwatch is really nice to have.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    If goop comes back (and I like goop! Make goop come back!) I would love it to be transferable and or be able to directly buy it with credits. Mostly because I, personally, would benefit from being able to convert bardic credits into goop.

Random things that could be cool if you could buy them with goop:

Some goop-only dolls.

Old promotional items. Not all of them, and they probably shouldn't be as cost effective as getting them during the original promotion was. But it'd be a way to get more genie curios/whatever else circulating, or to fill holes in collections.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I would also be okay if Goop was purchasable with credits

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Portius said:
    If goop comes back (and I like goop! Make goop come back!) I would love it to be transferable and or be able to directly buy it with credits. Mostly because I, personally, would benefit from being able to convert bardic credits into goop.

Some goop-only dolls.

Old promotional items. Not all of them, and they probably shouldn't be as cost effective as getting them during the original promotion was. But it'd be a way to get more genie curios/whatever else circulating, or to fill holes in collections.
    If goop remains purchase only, then it should not have entirely unique items, else the whole 'completely free to play' becomes misleading. A way around it would be for the unique items to become available by goop only for a limited item (say six months) then available by credits or dingbats. Skins being essentially customizations could remain goop items.
  • Steingrim said:
    Portius said:

Some goop-only dolls.

If goop remains purchase only, then it should not have entirely unique items, else the whole 'completely free to play' becomes misleading. A way around it would be for the unique items to become available by goop only for a limited item (say six months) then available by credits or dingbats. Skins being essentially customizations could remain goop items.
    Even if goop was purchase only, the game would still be free to play. With the aethergoop only items, none of them are -need- things. They are just things that make some small things here and there easier. Most of the goop are just reskins.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    +1 to bringing back a way to buy aethergoop with credits or even from the website. It was a fantastic spin on regular artifacts, I loved the whole idea.

• I concur with the popular opinion that aethergoop was awesome. I'd probably buy it directly if it was available on the website.
  • Is anyone willing to point me to the events that explain what the heck goop is? That must have been one that happened when I was out of action.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    The promo for the month had it come from bouncy slivven! I'm sure someone can quickly point you to the news post.

• I simply must join the "goop is awesome" bandwagon.

Transfers would be even more fantastic.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Ayisdra said:
    Steingrim said:
    Portius said:

Some goop-only dolls.

Even if goop was purchase only, the game would still be free to play. With the aethergoop only items, none of them are -need- things. They are just things that make some small things here and there easier. Most of the goop are just reskins.
    Lusternia is 100% Free to Play, Forever!

If IRE wants to drop the 100% free, then sure.
  • Steingrim said:
    Ayisdra said:
    Steingrim said:
    Portius said:

Some goop-only dolls.

But it is, there is no mandatory subscription or anything. Yes, we all know in reality the game is more pay to win, but this is a marketing claim they can make without issue. It's not something I agree with fully because there are much better ways to sell this game, but alas the F2P lure is a very strong one and it is hard to go against that when the competition does it too.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Steingrim said:
    Ayisdra said:
    Steingrim said:
    Portius said:

Some goop-only dolls.

You don't require goop to play.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Steingrim said:
    Ayisdra said:
    Steingrim said:
    Portius said:

Some goop-only dolls.

This is kind of a strawman fallacy. By this logic, the game should already not be called free to play because credits exist. However, the actual fact of the situation is you don't -need- credits to play the game, much how you don't -need- aethergoop to play the game, nor would you.

It's more aptly called a pay to win game than a free to play game, perhaps, but you still don't have to actually spend anything to play the game.
  • Rialorm said:
    Steingrim said:
    Ayisdra said:
    Steingrim said:
    Portius said:

Some goop-only dolls.

But it is, there is no mandatory subscription or anything. Yes, we all know in reality the game is more pay to win, but this is a marketing claim they can make without issue. It's not something I agree with fully because there are much better ways to sell this game, but alas the F2P lure is a very strong one and it is hard to go against that when the competition does it too.
    With the exception of goop you can get everything within the game for free. There is no mechanism for gaining goop other than paying for it. So goop breaks the 100% free to play. At least four ways come to mind to fix this, allow it to be traded, allow it to be gained in game in some way, don't have items which by function are only available by goop (skinning wouldn't really apply IMO since you can pay to skin your own items), or advertise as F2P.

F2P <> 100% Free.

• Steingrim said:
    Rialorm said:
    <other quotes>
    With the exception of goop you can get everything within the game for free. There is no mechanism for gaining goop other than paying for it. So goop breaks the 100% free to play. At least four ways come to mind to fix this, allow it to be traded, allow it to be gained in game in some way, don't have items which by function are only available by goop (skinning wouldn't really apply IMO since you can pay to skin your own items), or advertise as F2P.

F2P <> 100% Free.

When goop was first release, you could get 15 goop via a 21 day quest. and goop reskins change the base noun of the artifacts (for some anyways) - it is not the quite the same as paying 50cr.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Let's get back on topic.
  • Ayisdra said:
    Steingrim said:
    Rialorm said:
    <other quotes>

F2P <> 100% Free.

When goop was first release, you could get 15 goop via a 21 day quest. and goop reskins change the base noun of the artifacts (for some anyways) - it is not the quite the same as paying 50cr.
    There's a difference sure, but I see a difference between you can't get an item that does x and you have an item that looks different.

I even think it would be fair and maybe even advisable for Lusternia to make items purchasable by goop first before generally available. If you want it now pay with goop or wait six months and get it with credits or dingbats.

Someone just reminded me that goop was added to presents so I was mistaken and you can earn them ingame. So that's moot.