Promotional Crates!

13»

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Uh Whuh Bwuh? No, not in anything relevant to Lusternia. There's also no reason to apply and kind of legal stricture (even if you had standing, which you never will) to something said during an event.

Anyways, I get it: you paid for something to give  yourself a strong advantage, and that advantage is going to be nullified somehow (you think). That sucks. If you were paying for exclusivity, you could make a decent case for a potential refund  in an email to the administrators, I'm sure. However, every time anything like this comes up, it's emphatically pointed out that you do not pay for exclusivity, you pay for the effect. In the case of 'early-access' buying, the extra part you pay for is early-access. When effects change drastically or become obsolete due to an administrative change, they're pretty good about offering switches and refunds, or allowing them if asked case-by-case. 

I'm with @Synkarin in having little sympathy in this case. The bonus is just too powerful to have locked behind some weird idea of buyer's privileged to exclusivity.  You can't proclaim how powerful the buff is and advocate hoarding it jealously in the same breath. Well, I guess it's been proven that you can, but you shouldn't.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited December 2014
    Like I said, IRE would make a killing off of the genie bottles if they were released again. Then we'd all have a good laugh as they were nerfed, patting ourselves on the back for our conformity.

EDIT: Again. Nerf them now. Before you start selling them. Before Ascension, even. Jeevus Crust.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Steingrim said:
    Enyalida said:
    The policy on 'limited edititon' products, like Auction Artifacts, in IREs has been that you're paying for access to a limited resource, ability, or item. If that thing is later opened up for general purchase (Even if at a lower price), what you paid for is the benefit during that time it was limited - you paid for early access. Enjoy the fact that you had that item for months or years before anyone else did, and have benefited from that!

Don't like that? Aww, tough. Don't buy things expecting to monopolize them.
    'Limited edition' has a legal definition, from your description you seem to be describing 'limited time only' though it is understandable why people might confuse the two.
    Yeah, but I also don't think it's legally binding.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Have we figured out if the 4 outcomes in the solstice crates are equally weighted? 
    I don't think they said so or not, but I figure they are. I purchased two and got 50 dingbats/50 aethergoop.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I bought three and got presents, coins, and goop.

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I got quite a few, and never got goop, but plenty of the others. If you didn't get what you wanted, it's just RNG hate.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I want to buy more so I can get the firefly jar, goop my yoyo and cloaking gem...but, not this month. A few months time perhaps.

We need more of this sort of thing. Thanks for the promo! I want more like this!

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I loved the crates. I got mostly goop! I just need to decide what I want to buy the most.

• I got dingbats and a scarecrow hat. Scarecrow hats are amazing.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    @Maligorn‌ - genies aren't getting nerfed specifically. Buff stacking is getting nerfed, and having genies means that's one less buff you need to maintain. I think it's important to understand that difference.

Yes, you won't to be able to get the the same vitals as now, but genies will still be worth it. Not only would it be a permanent throne blessing, you get cool stuff once a RL day

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Infinite health / mana / bromides vials do seem to be truly limited, though.
  • Xenthos said:
    Infinite health / mana / bromides vials do seem to be truly limited, though.
    For now. You probably jinxed it :P
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • I was just recently thinking how nice it would be to have some of those >_>
  • Enyalida said:
    Uh Whuh Bwuh? No, not in anything relevant to Lusternia. There's also no reason to apply and kind of legal stricture (even if you had standing, which you never will) to something said during an event.

Anyways, I get it: you paid for something to give  yourself a strong advantage, and that advantage is going to be nullified somehow (you think). That sucks. If you were paying for exclusivity, you could make a decent case for a potential refund  in an email to the administrators, I'm sure. However, every time anything like this comes up, it's emphatically pointed out that you do not pay for exclusivity, you pay for the effect. In the case of 'early-access' buying, the extra part you pay for is early-access. When effects change drastically or become obsolete due to an administrative change, they're pretty good about offering switches and refunds, or allowing them if asked case-by-case. 

I'm with @Synkarin in having little sympathy in this case. The bonus is just too powerful to have locked behind some weird idea of buyer's privileged to exclusivity.  You can't proclaim how powerful the buff is and advocate hoarding it jealously in the same breath. Well, I guess it's been proven that you can, but you shouldn't.
    No, you really don't seem to get it. We're not talking in-game at all. We're talking about a business that sold something on a website for cash. You appear to believe that gaming companies are exempted from business ethics, I do not. We don't have to agree.

Then you go on to assert I want some sort of monopoly, where I specifically have said, they could alter the genies, give them the same or even more potent effects. This really isn't much different than then people brought limited editions of books, cards for card games, dvd, artist prints. That doesn't stop the owner/creators from reissuing a different or similar version.

If that doesn't clear things up, there's really no point in continuing this. I had said my piece ages ago and unless you have an ethical argument to make, what's the point of this?
  • edited December 2014
    The new crates are equally weighted.

I really don't understand the discussion of genie bottles. They were limited edition but you can still get their curio pieces as a random item in the present (like you can other discontinued curios) as well as (though rarely) getting them on curio rubs, so they still can be formed. I don't think they're OP and need to be nerfed.

We may or may not bring back a limited edition item (genies, marionettes, etc.) for a special promo (I dunno but we'll certainly reserve the right even if no plans right now)... however, weren't people complaining about curios!!

I'm so confused...
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    There is a nonzero chance of me just being blind, but I don't see genie curios on the list of present things. I do see a lot of other old promotional curios, though. Are you sure you can get them from presents?
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
    edited December 2014
    Estarra said:
    The new crates are equally weighted.

I really don't understand the discussion of genie bottles. They were limited edition but you can still get their curio pieces as a random item in the present (like you can other discontinued curios) as well as (though rarely) getting them on curio rubs, so they still can be formed. I don't think they're OP and need to be nerfed.

We may or may not bring back a limited edition item (genies, marionettes, etc.) for a special promo (I dunno but we'll certainly reserve the right even if no plans right now)... however, weren't people complaining about curios!!

I'm so confused...
    TL;DR is this:

Some people think that if you (as in Estarra, representing IRE) said that genie bottle pieces won't be sold by the company again or that they were limited edition in some way, you should stick to your word and that it's ethically wrong to sell them.

Others think that you can do what you want, it's your game.

Others (like myself) think that you should just nerf genie bottles to remove the buffs, or release something new that acts like the gift-giving part of the genie bottles without the buffs.
  • It's kind of like.

A. we're being inundated with these collectibles -- how about an auction or lesson sale or credit bonus promo instead.

B. but more to the point, stop giving these collectibles tangible buffs (which you have done) because it's imbalancing PvP.

• Portius said:
    There is a nonzero chance of me just being blind, but I don't see genie curios on the list of present things. I do see a lot of other old promotional curios, though. Are you sure you can get them from presents?
    I've got a single genie piece now, and the ONLY thing I've done is buy crates from the website. So, yes. I doubt you're assembling one yourself that way, but I did see a piece.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."