Tweets VI: The Tweetsixteenth

Comments

• that is the other thing, most trades are just not viable without the artifact that goes with it, jewellers hammer is a good example. The forging one too
  • MoiMoi
    edited January 2015
    People undercut because for 99% of the population, the investment required to be able to conduct trade exceeds your projected lifetime profits. You're looking at on the order of 4 million gold to get trans in a skill, so even if you're selling herbs at 20gp each you're looking at moving 200k units before you break even. Even if you did manage to sell that many herbs, you're almost certain to be better off hunting or influencing for your money instead. People get trade skills because they want access to the items or find the trading roleplay enjoyable, not because it makes them the most money in the long term.
  • Man, I never thought I'd belong to the 1%.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Riluna said:
    Every trade has that ass who will undercut everyone for the sake of it, even if it hurts themselves badly in the long run.

It's one thing I've never understood about Lusternia. Gold is plentiful. Ridiculously so! Yet still, year after year, we give our trade people next to nothing. (who often spend hours on this crap, re: herbalism especially).
    It doesn't hurt D'cente at all to undercut all of you in every trade except herbalism. 
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Iytha said:
    People get trade skills because they want access to the items or find the trading roleplay enjoyable, not because it makes them the most money in the long term.
    Don't forget those of us that are just bored  :bz
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • edited January 2015
    Kazel said:
    that is the other thing, most trades are just not viable without the artifact that goes with it, jewellers hammer is a good example. The forging one too
    Technically Jeweler's hammer only creates more gems, which are already quite plentiful and not that much in demand. The real money of a jeweller is in crafting items, which thankfully doesnt need an artifact to enhance.

Additionally, I agree with @Riluna. I've seen prices drop to such lows that I wonder if the person even realizes they are losing money.. I recall when powerstones were actually sought after and made jewelling some good gold for the long hours it can take to get a powerstone from cutting, but now it is bum cheap.

Frankly, one of the major aspects that caused this effect was the introduction of free commodities through aethermines. Being able to easily collect up commodities then sell them for dirt cheap or use them yourself, undercut alot of trades. How many people now have plentiful mines they use for their commodity purposes? It's just bad for business.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I get tradeskills because I can make things for others to use, not because it makes me money.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    edited January 2015
    Pmuch. Powerstones were 1500-2500 when I started, and that's when credits were 5k each.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • IMO trades are for the RP more than market.
  • I hope for one thing at a time: Get fighting overhaul done, then remediate it after a time, and then open the debate for crafting/trade issues.  There may or may not be room for improvement, but one thing at a time.  The world can only handle one Revolution at a time.  I have plenty of ideas regarding the economy, but I accept the Staff and Divine have their hands full at the moment.
    </RANT>
  • Milune said:
    IMO trades are for the RP more than market.
    Considering the majority of Lusternia's tradespeople are omnitrans in every skill, pretty much. Ventidius chose bookbinding because he wants to become an architect/engineer, and it works. But unless he pumps it full of lessons to transcendent, he won't make dosh.
  • Eh... I probably overcharge for poisons.

I charge 100 gold per refill, and I get 4 refills per corpse (Thanks to poisoner's gloves and a 300 credit keg)

I could honestly afford to drop it to 60 gold per refill on poisons (Or much, much lower)... but eh, 100 is a nice number.

I don't expect to get rich off my trade, or my shop. I just want to provide things that people need, as often enough they can't get a lot of what I sell elsewhere. It sucks pretty bad when you can't find something you need for guild tasks, everyday life, or combat.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Someone decided it would be funny to destroy the only thing in Lusternia I was actually enjoying. I don't have the time (or, frankly, the energy) to fix it. So I guess I.....just stop playing?

• Qistrel said:
    Someone decided it would be funny to destroy the only thing in Lusternia I was actually enjoying. I don't have the time (or, frankly, the energy) to fix it. So I guess I.....just stop playing?
    DO NOT WANT
    </RANT>
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Qistrel said:
    Or you ask for advice and help in fixing it?

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Qistrel said:

Context? :(
    As long as the context isn't tradeskills. Because that'd be a crappy reason to play...and one I attribute to runescape. If I can't make money on the GE then what point is there to that game?!
  • I didn't expect to cause such a rumpus. I never enchant for free. If you want me to lock my time for you, you'll have to make it worth my while.

But what I originally meant with the comment is just how common powerstones seem to be. They're so cheap and plentiful, I might as well use fully charged ones to make figurines.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • That was out of 1500 gems, with a hammer. >.>

It was amusing to think of him trying to find some way to get 1500 cuts worth of stuff into a letter.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Someone took out most of the mystic pathways in Icewynd. I can't get to the frost trills or cloud mantas any more, cause I can't climb mountains, and I don't have the curio that goes to the Maelstrom, and I just got a pay cut at work so buying credits to get those things is a problem. I know it seems silly, and I'm not entitled to having pathways there, but influencing mantas and trills was the only thing I really enjoyed these days.

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I regret telling @Arcanis how to destroy them :( I like my hubs

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Synkarin said:
    I regret telling @Arcanis how to destroy them :( I like my hubs
    I thought only ecologists could unravel them. Oh well.

Why the heck is Arcanis destroying hubs?
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Shaddus said:
    Why the heck is Arcanis destroying hubs?
    Rumour has it someone's still unraveling Mag rifts or whatever, so maybe it's some warped revenge thing? I don't really know, not around enough right now (and way past my bedtime to make it to tomorrow's morning meeting).

edited January 2015
    You pick up a group of 595634 gem clusters. 
    Time for an event where all the gem clusters turn to dust because of a Soulless gem-eater.
  • Munsia said:
    You pick up a group of 595634 gem clusters. 
    sad thing is.. I've had someone cutting them the past few days.. several thousand of them..
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• Anyone can remove pathways. I wont say how because the hatemail would kill me.
This discussion has been closed.