Dreams

NochtNocht Glomdoring
edited October 2012 in Ideas
Just a note that you are still welcome to submit ideas for dreams! We're always open to adding your idea! You can submit ideas for common dreams that everyone has, or even org specific ones if you like (though these are subject to approval by the patron).

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Need to add in a chance for waking dreams, for those of us who are 80+ and no longer see them.

That kind of quashes the desire to create / suggest dreams.
  • NochtNocht Glomdoring
    If you have an idea on how to work something out so that it wouldn't be distracting or annoying, I'd love to hear it. It's a bit of a shame that a large section of players never get to enjoy dreams.

I was looking through a few and they range from funny to absolutely creepy. There's even a few that have been creepy enough that we got complaints asking us to take them down.
  • edited February 2014

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    edited October 2012
    Yes, maybe we can have it as a reasonably priced dingbat artifact? Snazzy dreamcathers? Quirky sleeping masks? Or just create an unforceable command for us to sleep. :)
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• For those 80+, or anyone actually, maybe have daydreams if they idle a certain time? Maybe small brief ones if they are just idle for a few minutes, and longer ones as they approach their TIMEOUT time?
  • [Excuse double post]
    Also, are there any dreams that "change with the times?" Basically ones that are event dreams that happen before the event? Maybe a few false-positives so not everyone is any automatic prophet, of course. Even if they're separate from day dreams, it would give reason for older members to sleep, or at least listen to the tales of younger ones who see the horrors of the future.

I'm sure there's some excellent mini-event/RP to be had introducing this, involving Hallifaxian Dreamweavers no doubt.
  • NochtNocht Glomdoring
    I know in the past we've added temporary dreams that hint at an upcoming event similar to prophecies. The build up to kephera and illithoid is the last one that I clearly remember. Not all events lend themselves to prophetic dreams though, and I'm not sure how many we've made since then.

I'm sure if such an artifact/mechanic became popular though that we would give it more attention in the future.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I'm trying to remember which event it was, maybe Zenos? Anyway, there were wierd dreams reported, I was even randomly put to sleep (despite being past 80) while in my manse to see the dream. Was pretty awesome.

Perhaps even those who don't need to rest can choose to sleep in a bed and receive a dream or two?

• Another possibility would be that you do not automatically wake up when non-tired/full on endurance if you're sleeping in a bed. Would give people more of an incentive to buy the things.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Could always dream during meditation.. Kind of a transcendental state or something
  • Soraya said:
    Could always dream during meditation.. Kind of a transcendental state or something
    Maybe it is just me, but I find that I rarely meditate anymore. At all.
  • Drayl said:
    Soraya said:
    Could always dream during meditation.. Kind of a transcendental state or something
    Maybe it is just me, but I find that I rarely meditate anymore. At all.
    Between the automatic sipping of mana and the perfection enchantment I haven't had the need to meditate at all.
  • Well I can't react to my own post. -disagree Soraya- :P
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Introduce a dreamweaving utility ability that allows the target to see dreams, even if over Level 80!
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice

Can we port these visions to dreams sometime in the future? :)
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Can we suggest trances as well? There aren't all that many :/
  • edited February 2013
    Moondancers (it'd be really neat if we could have one of these three depending on the phase of the moon):
    Waxing crescent - half moon:
    You find yourself standing before Moondance tower - no, above it, gazing down at a group of people atop it. Their ritual fills you with delight, and you joyously focus your gaze upon them and bathe them in light, almost overcome with the dizzying potential within each of them.
    Waxing Half moon - Waning Half moon:
    The Moondance tower looms above even the trees of Serenwilde, and from a vantage point that's higher still do you watch a few figures on top of it. You recognize their devotion, and spare the tiniest sliver of your resplendent glory to acknowledge their praise.
    Waning Half Moon - Waxing Crescent:
    From high above the Serenwilde Forest, you scowl at the encroachment of your eternal foe. Only the trees beneath you seem to radiate your light, which shines particularly brightly atop the Moondance Tower. You direct a shaft of what remaining light you have towards the conclave being held there,  to aid them in the grim days to come.

Or if we could specify that dreams are for novices of a particular org, that'd be neat. These are meant to have a theme of encouragement (to keep new players curious, maybe) but could apply to non-novices too.
    Celest novice:
    Standing at the Pool of Stars, you idly watch the happenings of the City unfolding around you. However, as time goes on, each day following the one before, the streets grow filled with citizens. Their aimless shamble and listless routines speak of weeks lived without purpose. You turn once more, seeing an angel standing beside you, who plainly asks, "If you do not show them the Light, who will?"

Magnagoran novice:
    You glance to the side and see the massive form of Kunthin driving another spike into the enormous brain that is the Necromentate. He absentmindedly reaches to his side for another spike, only to find none there. Turning to you in irritation, he bellows urgently, "Hurry! More spikes are needed!" The walls of the chamber shudder ominously in agreement as the beast continues to struggle.

Hallifaxian novice:
    (Note: I've never done much in Hallifax so this may not be so good)
    You stare into the endless, incomprehensible perfection that is the interior of the Matrix, and little by little can pick out patterns here and there. Each shape corresponds to a color, and each color to a sequence, and each sequence...But your burgeoning theory is abruptly dashed as you note a new development. With a sigh, you realize you still have much to learn.

Serenwilde novice:
    Weary from task after task, you find yourself compelled to lean against the trunk of the Mother Moonhart Tree and rest for a time. As you look on, a small ball of light darts between the nearby trees. As surely as you wanted to rest before, you now find yourself seeking to follow this light into deeper woods and greater mysteries.

Glomdoring novice:
    Darkness surrounds you in a cold, but safe embrace. As your eyes slowly adjust, the faint impression of some great and terrible artifact begins to take shape - or perhaps an ancient tome, containing the answers to all of life's mysteries - or is it a beautiful creature, awaiting for you to notice and come into its loving embrace? Your perception of it gradually sharpens, but your eyes soon sting from a bright and sudden flash of silver. As the darkness returns, you find only despair, coupled with resolve to delve into the secrets that the shadows hold.

Gaudiguch novice:
    (Never done anything in Gaudiguch either, someone else could probably do better)
    You find yourself surrounded by those you love and care about most, enjoying the banter almost as much as the festivities. You make a casual remark about a nearby object, and all around seem completely clueless about what you mean. You fervently try to explain it to them, but cannot form the words to define precisely what makes this thing what it is. The others grow irritated and you find yourself shown out. As they haul you away, you howl in protest, swearing that one day you will find a way to make them see.
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    I still like the idea of sleeping in a bed allowing anyone at all to just sleep and sleep and sleep, and dream!
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • You could tack on a dream sequence when people quit the game. Since you have that hang time anyway you could always make it useful.

Like every time you hit quit there is a 50% chance it will trigger a brief dream or something.

• edited February 2013
    Eritheyl said:

I still like the idea of sleeping in a bed allowing anyone at all to just sleep and sleep and sleep, and dream!

And by a sleep to say we end the heartache and the thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir to? To die, to sleep - to sleep! Perchance to dream? Aye, there's the rub - for what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil must give us pause. There's the respect that makes calamity of so long life.

8->
  • Dreamweavers see dreams as they dreamwalk. Their nightmare ability makes the victim see one of the "bad" dreams.
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Eventru said:
    And by a sleep to say we end the heartache and the thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir to? To die, to sleep - to sleep! Perchance to dream? Aye, there's the rub - for what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil must give us pause. There's the respect that makes calamity of so long life. 8->
    Well, you whiz through the void for a bit, and then three giant women of terrible power debate your worldly worth and decide to make you not die. 
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Lillie said:
    Dreamweavers see dreams as they dreamwalk. Their nightmare ability makes the victim see one of the "bad" dreams.
    We do? I haven't seen a dream while dreamwalking. It might be that my sleeping body reacts to dreams, but I don't see them myself.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • No, that was my idea for people over level 80 to still have dreams.