Divine Symbols and Designs

2»

Comments

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Enyalida said:
    Uh, Lusternian Divine are decidedly not omni-anything (except perhaps @Mysrai, in one particular way).
    Guessing you've never had one of those experiences where you're chatting with someone about a Divine in a manse and suddenly that Divine is there. I'm not familiar with the Rapture code, personally, but I know that people sending anything to the MUD with a keyword can be used to alert people. It's only one step away from that to alerting individuals of exactly what is being sent and by whom. So in a way, Divines in Lusternia can be omniscient, at least.

As to omnipotence, they can kill, turn you into a maggot, take your free will and force you to shout praise to them and bring you back to life with a snap of their fingers... so sure, they're not omnipotent... but they come bloody well close. Just because something isn't coded doesn't mean it can't be. Technically speaking, the whole design process and the Charites can be considered an OOC mechanic. And if a Divine desires to not allow you to design something with their image/symbol/name involved, they can certainly do so and need no IC explanation for it other than "I want it to be that way". I offered an IC explanation for that particular situation, and it sounds like a pretty reasonable one, at least to me. If you don't like it, though, feel free to complain about Divines rejecting your design being "OOC"

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, they're powerful and they have strong sense of perception (especially when relating to direct representations/invocations/mentions of themselves). This is a far cry from omni-anything, it's just super-. Heck, we can kill people, turn them into maggots, "take away their free will" (temporarily), and do all of those things you just said. Does this make us omnipotent too?!

The plot of Lusternia (nevermind players having a role in the game at all) would not make sense at all if the gods were ultimate arbiters of reality in the way you describe. Those kind of powers do exist, but they are allocated to the gods in their administrative aspects, not their IC god personas. If gods had that kind of power, absolutely none of the plot works on so many levels. All of the struggles and drama between secret cabals of (non-player) cabals make any sense, some sympathetic god would just unwrite them by saying "make it so'. None of the player driven struggles would have any context, or point. None of the mechanics that explicitly put constraints on the power of gods (essence, anyone?) would make sense. 

Sorry, this is just something that really gets me. There are better RP ways to handwave the OOC constraints on designing and other mechanical considerations, ways that do not utterly devalue and dismiss the boundless thought and  effort put in by  players both administrative or otherwise to create plot and interesting roles. It's a cool angle for a particular character to have (however wrong), but espousing it as the standing reason is Bad News.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Uh, @Eritheyl....her post wasn't off topic.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Uh @Shaddus, I'm on my phone. This happens literally all the time, and is usually corrected when I catch it later on my desktop, sry bout it.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
    Ahuh <3
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Enyalida has the right of it. Elders are neither omnipotent nor omniscient... They just appear that way from a mortal perspective. It's similar to how dynara/magnora/estarra are/were an order of magnitude beyond the elders.

Lore-wise, elders are especially attuned towards their domains and their followers, hence why some might feel their presence more than others, but wiping something from existence is usually beyond them
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Yeah, how else would crazy ass Nemach get away with this shit for so many years? Or how would we not be aware that the Forsaken were actually the good guys?

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    They're like beetlejuice that way: If you invoke them, and let them into your lives they have a tremendous amount of power over you. 
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    'a tapertry of Lisaera and Drocilla throwing shade at each other while Fain stands glorious in the background'
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    @Feyrll plz draw Lisaera and Drocilla tossing Nocht back and forth like a frisbee. But message them OOC first to make sure it's okay.  ;))
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited January 2015
    Isune said:
    Siam said:
    'a tapertry of Lisaera and Drocilla throwing shade at each other while Fain stands glorious in the background'
    Spoiler: the shade is @Nocht. Nocht is shade itself.

Are...are They playing keep-away with @Viravain? is that what's going on here..?
    Everyone keeps away from Viravain.
  • Crumkane said:

While Crumkane, the character, has no reason to stop people from expressing their creativity (it's what He does, after all), Darvellan, the character, may have a reason to stop someone from using His symbols. I am not sure what the reason is, but in the case of others, it can often times be secrecy, or a desire to keep Their symbol more "exclusive" to Their Order, city, etc. 

The Order is still really new and we just wrote up some guidelines under Lord Darvellan's directions, but after reading this, once again we're going to have to ask Him for clarification.

P.S. If Lord Darvellan tells you to get lost, it may be a complement.