Magic Disambiguation

This was brought up by @Iytha in a different discussion and I have to agree with them on this. Can we change the name of magic to differentiate between a source and damage type? Still confuses me when considering my main damage source and the types I use. Would probably make it easier on newbies as well.
Not a big deal, but I figured I'd put the suggestion in the correct form.

Comments

• Thinking more on it, I kinda like the idea of maybe splitting "Magic" into "Arcane" and "Spirit" or something.

I assume this post will be followed by disagree's and people worried about new damage types. But I kinda like the differentiation between "city magic" and "nature magic".
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Vuris said:

This was brought up by @Iytha in a different discussion and I have to agree with them on this. Can we change the name of magic to differentiate between a source and damage type? Still confuses me when considering my main damage source and the types I use. Would probably make it easier on newbies as well.
    Not a big deal, but I figured I'd put the suggestion in the correct form.

It really should just give stat on the source like for bards: Int (50%)/Cha (50%) and so on.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Stats and damage sourcing are changing in the overhaul, with more fluffy (and less RPG typical) names for each statistic. So, damage sourcing in future very well might just use the stat name with some variation to indicate the different configurations of source (half-and-half, boosted by magic runes but 'strength' based, etc).
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    edited February 2015
    If not for Enyalida's above post, I would have said the easiest change would be to rename the sources (not the damage types).

Physical would just be renamed as Strength.
    Magic would just be renamed as Intelligence.

Naming the source after the stat that mods it is almost too easy!

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Except that some strength damage is caster damage, and is affected by caster damage runes, and some isn't.
  • How about "Planar" type damage? Ethereal for Nature Curse, cosmic for CosmicFire, Dreamworld for Dreamweave Burst, Aetherspatial for Meteor...
  • I feel like maybe that goes too far.

But I guess I feel like Divinus is really kinda a Celest focused thing, while Magic kinda feels like the generic damage type?

I'm kinda wondering if an org based damage type would be possible... with the current "Magic" typed damages being typed based on your org. So Meteor might retype as wyrden for Glomdoring, Burst might retype as chaotic for Gaudi, and CosmicFire might retype with divinus for Celestians (WAIT NO maybe just pure fire).

Perhaps the current weaknesses could be maintained to save time and then differentiated further in the future. So like... "magic" weakness would be weak against everything unless divinus or excoro is in the list.

Yeah, I have complicated ideas. :S
  • That is definitely not what this idea is about. Nobody is getting new types, I just want one of Magic Source and Magic Type damage to be called something else for the sake of clarity.

What about leaving Magic as the type name and switching the source names to be Physical for things based on Strength, Mental for things based on Intelligence, Musical for things based on 50% Intelligence and 50% Charisma, with the word "Spell" appended if it's boosted by caster damage runes? So Illuminati Crushes are Physical Spells and their Cosmic Fire is a Mental Spell. Does that cover everything.