XML Map

I've coded my own mapreader for the XML map, and today I started using it to keep track of where I've been and what I have left to explore. And one thing I noticed pretty quickly was that it's rather incomplete; from single rooms missing to entire areas (so far today, I've found 63 rooms that weren't mapped, and that includes all of the tar pits). Would it be possible to have it updated with a bit more regularity, perhaps even automatically once a week/once an IC year? Or do you have to manually assign rooms/areas to be included in the XML file, leading to it being outdated until someone takes the time to do that?

Comments

• Everything has to be mapped manually. If you find somewhere that isn't mapped and you think it should be, just bug it. :)
  • Not everything that is mapped is included in the XML file though. The tar pits, for instance; it can be seen on MAP, and you can get the map through the website (http://www.lusternia.com/irex/maps/clientmap.php?map=144&building=0&level=0), but it's not in the XML file. There's also the Havens, which is mapped according to MAP but isn't on the website, nor in the XML file.
  • Hmm. Just noticed I had two XML files in my system for some reason, and it used the old one. The new one did have the tar pits in it, but not the havens. So there's still a disconnect between MAP and the XML file, but perhaps not as much of one as I had thought originally.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    There's not that many areas unmapped, but I've always been doubtful about whether the few that are were done so intentionally or not. I'll start bugging them too.
  • Havens is deliberately not visible.

• Eventru said:
    Havens is deliberately not visible.
    Good to know, thanks!
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    The Lirangsha Panopticon/Terminus is still unmapped too, or rather the XML isn't updating properly yet. Been days now.
    Are you sure? I updated my map the day after they said to check (it seems to take a while to change on the server?) and got a copy with both areas mapped.
  • I have them both in my copy of it as well. 56 rooms in Lirangsha and 110 rooms in the Panopticon.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    You're right, I corrupted my XML somehow, fixed now. Carry on!
  • Proper name for it is MMP (Mud Mapping Protocol) if anyone wanted to know.
    I was wondering if the different Arysian isles could be separated into their own areas?
  • I think they're probably fine as-is. While I'm not supremely fond of how it was mapped, I really don't want to have to unmap and re-map everything on separate maps for no real purpose.
    Fair enough, though it would help those of us who need these specifics for whatever reason.

Another thing that came to mind today: The default XML data for Astral does not include exits between most spheres, possibly because of their fluctuating nature. While this is something I've personally amended in my own map, is it possible that these exits may be added?
  • Rivius said:

Fair enough, though it would help those of us who need these specifics for whatever reason.

Another thing that came to mind today: The default XML data for Astral does not include exits between most spheres, possibly because of their fluctuating nature. While this is something I've personally amended in my own map, is it possible that these exits may be added?
    Not really possible. It probably only shows the connections that were active at the time the map XML was uploaded last. So in fact, it'd probably fluctuate a bit over time, between comparisons.