City Transfer Scholarship

I have spoken to a lot of people about possibly joining Hallifax, but many feel reticent due to the costs associated with changing guild skills. I am curious, are there out there that would take Hallifax up on a scholarship program that pays for the lost lessons in city transfer upon completion of an orientation program in the city?

Essentially, when you transfer if you are trans, you'll lose about 100 credits per skill so once you transfered your lessons, we'd pay for you to get to the same skill level as you were in your old city. This likely would only be open to a few people and we'd have to interview people to determine candidates, but I am just trying to find out if this would help encourage any of you out there to consider joining Hallifax?

Comments

• If I wasn't already immersed in Gaudiguch, I'd say yes. I think those that are bored with their current org will jump on, though.
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Pretty cool idea. Better than the "We'll buy Talkan a Cubix" mess Celest got in to a few years back at least. 

If I wasn't hardcore Glom, I'd look at it! Alas.

Of course, I can only see that being useful for recruiting combatants.
  • Pretty much the thing with me being hardcore Seren. Otherwise I would be interested.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Will switch orgs for a cubix.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Will Hallifax still be putting those individuals on probation for RL weeks?  Because I know that was a huge disincentive for some of the people who switched there; the whole sense of not belonging (and enforced, at that).
  • Didn't you just post about leaving Hallifax???
    [BANNERCODE]
  • @Tully Yeah, Hallifax is too awesome to leave just because there aren't people here, so I am going to bring people here instead.

@Xenthos,
    - Favors will be accrued and tracked at the bottom of this file.
    - Sponsors may give tasks to the Probate to display their loyalty and
      assimilation.
    - At the end of the two year period, an Probationary Evaluation will
      occur in which the sponsors will meet with the Probate and determine
      if they are ready to formally enter society. If they are, they will
      join as a full member and be awarded all favors accrued. If they are
      not, they will be either removed from the Collective, assigned an
      additional task, or given extra probationary time as the case may
      warrant.
    - If for any reason the sponsors are not available for a meeting within
      six months of the Probation period ending, any Board member may
      replace the Board sponsor, and any other guild leader may replace the
      guild sponsor. If for any reason those leaders should be deposed, it
      is up to the current guild master or city leader to determine if the
      sponsor should be replaced or if the current sponsor will continue to
      serve.

Essentially, you earn favors normally, but you just don't get them immediately until you fulfill your task. This has typically been something like writing a short book, or explaining your previous culture.  This is also reserved for only people that have been EXTREMELY active against Hallifax. We are extremely cognoscent of trying to make fines, and probation periods and things not overly burdensome

@Shuyin, How do you not have a Cubix?
  • Oh, I thought you had left and were complaining about getting back in..LOL..
    [BANNERCODE]
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    I do, but I need a spare cubix to hand out to the peasants. I will also accept a paypal of its monetary worth as well.

Idea sounds nice though.
    I guess I don't understand the point of paying people (preferably people with experience) to move to your org and then stiffing them for a couple of weeks.

PS, that file requires some proof-reading.

• Xenthos said:
    I guess I don't understand the point of paying people (preferably people with experience) to move to your org and then stiffing them for a couple of weeks. PS, that file requires some proof-reading.
    That makes sense. It's just an idea being thrown around right now, but this is a good point. Perhaps we could also offer credits to proof readers.

Do most orgs not do a probationary period for enemies joining?
    Not really. If you accept them into the org, making them be a forced-peon for a while is a bad idea. You want to enmesh them into the org's style asap, not keep them at arm's length.

The probation-period is best done during the application process itself. If they survive that, then by golly they want to be there. Be welcoming!
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

Eh. Notable Glom enemies usually just have to wait on an unofficial vote or referendum, generic enemies usually just have to pay the fine and get the sponors. I've never seen a probationary period for newcomers. I probably wouldn't be thrilled if I joined an org and they told me to sit in a corner for 2 years.

• The probationary period doesn't prevent them from doing anything, and we don't have a lengthy application process as a counter I guess. We'd rather not have someone sitting in limbo in their current city, or waiting without a city while we decide on them. But I guess it's just a stylistic thing, I know Celest and Magnagora each have probationary periods, and they do not have the problem getting new members that Hallifax does so I don't think that's the core of the problem.
  • If we were willing to pay a 'scholarship' to get someone to join, then it is highly unlikely they would qualify for probate status. Probate is for people who ask to join and our first thought is lolno. If they agree to it, then they probably really do want to join, and being a probate is not that cumbersome. It's indentured servitude that's cumbersome, and we've only done that once. (It was really fun for everyone involved though, and I've been sitting on some ideas to give it more use.)
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    We do? If someone was a crazy enemy they'd possibly be on a tight leash for a while, or in a few exceptional circumstances like Revan being held to an old punishment, sure, but otherwise there is no set standard of a probationary period for new recruits in Mag at all. (Esp. after being citizened. We make them jump through hoops to get to that point, not after it)

All I can say is, I know someone who was put on the probationary status thing and was most unhappy about it the whole time; I don't even know why this individual was put there (it's not like they were a "noted raider"), but it most definitely wasn't "fun".

It basically gave the impression that the city did not want or need this individual, did not care about anything they had to say, and that they were a second class citizen- which is just not conducive to making someone enjoy their time in a new city.  It's a huge upheaval to switch your entire character around and move, you know- you want to try to ease them into it, not make it more difficult.  Make them enjoy the new home and they are much more likely to stick around!

And that goes whether or not there's a scholarship involved.  Happy players are always better than dissatisfied ones, and if they're giving up all their friends & things to play with you... play with them in turn!
  • That's unfortunate that this was never expressed to us. Due to that, I never knew there was any issue with it. If you could have that person talk to me so I could find out their experience and what the problems they viewed were, I'd appreciate it. Can't fix it if people don't tell us they have an issue with it.
  • Regardless, There have only ever been four people go through the probate system, so I don't think that's what is stopping people from joining the city. It is exceedingly rare and I can only think of four people in the realms who would need to go through the probate system to join Hallifax.

Back to the topic at hand which kind of got derailed, Are there people out there that would change cities if it wasn't for the credit cost associated with it?
  • I suppose being ostensibly the one leading the City in question I'd probably want to say something. I rather like the idea, though like Morbo said if we were recouping the full cost we'd only be able to offer it on rare cases. Which makes me wonder if there's some lower limit to the offered scholarship that would be attractive, either recouping part of the cost or offering very reduced cost bound credits or something. [Incidentally, propose IG too if you haven't already >.=.<]

@Tulemrah ~grabbyhands ideas~ Tell the Board, make us do our jobs please.

@Xenthos If it's who I think it was, we screwed up yes... the potential for it working out was there, but it dragged on way too long. Though what we had then wasn't the probate thing Morbo quoted, so that didn't help either. 

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• As you know, I think probationary periods are a terrible idea. Especially the way Hallifax does them. After all, it was the reason I ended up in Celest instead of Hallifax. As a data point Celest has the following requirements for a former enemy to become a citizen:

1. Get unenemied to everything Celest-related. Usually this involves paying fines, but if you are a big name enemy, you might be given some crazy tasks instead. Once that's done, goto step 2.
    2. The person citizening you has to ask on CT if anyone has objections to you joining. If not, goto step 3 right away. If yes (this is probably the case if you were an enemy) then the Star Council has to vote you in. Goto step 3 if they vote you in.
    3. There's a row of statues in Celest attuned to stuff like Fain's order, Raezon's order, certain secret clans, etc. that citizens aren't allowed to be in but don't show up on honors. If no statues hit you, goto 4. If statues hit you, QUIT ORDER and try again.
    4. Read the Constitution and Covenant of New Celest and agree to it aloud or in writing. Once you've agreed. Goto 5.
    5. Go to the Great Blue Cathedral. Kneel in front of the statues. Say a long and silly oath to Celest, the Supernals and a bunch of other stuff. Get citizened. Get inguilded.

Total time to do it: Maybe a week starting at the "get unenemied from all these orders and stuff" stage.
  • edited January 2013
    II. Individuals seeking to join the City who were previously of
    Magnagoran guilds must undergo a minimum two year period during which
    they will have no access to the Pool of Stars and must exhibit exemplary
    behavior before being allowed access to the Pool. If the individual was
    previously a city enemy, they will be barred from membership in city
    clans and from being favoured for a minimum of two years of exemplary
    behavior. No individuals may remain in Magnagoran guilds or retain
    skills specific to Magnagoran guilds while a Citizen.

This is a FAR more restrictive probation system than Hallifax. Not only do the favors not accrue (in Hallifax, you receive all the favors you've earned at the end of your probation period) but you also have no access to power.

• Iytha's case was grossly mishandled by several parties and should not be used as an example of how we do things. Very few things in this game have made me genuinely angry, and that was one of them.

However, the probate system and the topic of this thread still have exactly nothing to do with each other. The pool of people we would want to recruit and the pool of people who would qualify for probate status have no overlap at all.
  • We also don't put the vast majority of people on Probation, it's been reserved for Talan, Miciah, Dahnrio, and Draylor. Dahnrio was someone who had been removed from the city before (which to my knowledge has only happened twice) Talan and Draylor were raiding Hallifax within a year of applying to join.

That's four people, and this probate system has been in place for more than an IRL year. I know less people have gone through this system, than have gone through the Celest probation system.

This is a replacement for what most cities do to those who have recently raided which is "Don't help your city against us for a few weeks and we'll let you know" We don't expect people to sit idle in a game to prove loyalty or neutrality, we would rather they spend that two week period in our city earning favors and learning about the city.
  • Morbo said:

This is a FAR more restrictive probation system than Hallifax. Not only do the favors not accrue (in Hallifax, you receive all the favors you've earned at the end of your probation period) but you also have no access to power.

That isn't actually enforced. I don't think it has been for RL years.
  • Iytha said:
    Morbo said:

That isn't actually enforced. I don't think it has been for RL years.
    I think it's only enforced when someone moves directly from Magnagora to Celest, now-a-days. At least, that's the only time I've seen it employed.
  • It's not enforced because prominent mags don't make it that far in the process before they are rejected lol.

Back on topic: I think it's an interesting prospect. Swapping skills wouldn't be a deal breaker for me going to another city if that's what I decided to do,  but I could see others taking advantage of something like this.