Ascension Rules

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Eventru said:

http://www.lusternia.com/game/helpview/lusternia?what=ascension+rules&x=Help

The various rules have been compiled by the gods running the events, and we've posted them in an in-game helpfile (web version link is above).

If you've questions, post them here, and the various gods can answer them/have the helpfile updated/have someone else answer them/cruelly ignore you so we can laugh raucously when you break the invisible rules and shrub you for it.

Yeah, we all remember my being shrubbed because you neglected to make the rule about dirigibles sending food into the arena. I bet Terentia laughed her steely rump off.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Agree on disallowing god realms for Harmony, for obvious reasons.

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Why can't you just kill the people in the godrealm? Or the mobs?
  • I'm guessing because a) enemy territory and b) Eventru's (sorry for the name drop, but we all know it's you!) realm is more or less large enough to defend itself, what more with defenders.
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited January 2013
    Zvoltz said:
    Godrealms are allowed for Harmony.

You cannot share hamsters. If you die, your hamsters will disappear. No sharing means no sharing, please don't try to get around that.
    Uh, every year people collect a ton of hamsters, take them into a closed room, and heartstop (or get killed by friends) to drop their hamsters and consolidate to one person (and then they all share the prize money).

Whenever issued the answer is "free-PK, they are allowed to share this way".

Is that being retconned this year?  Officially retconned, so that it can be issued and the people will lose their place?
  • I'm guessing because a) enemy territory and b) Eventru's (sorry for the name drop, but we all know it's you!) realm is more or less large enough to defend itself, what more with defenders.
    We aren't going to ban godrealms for Harmony influencing, it's already been discussed.
  • Xenthos said:
    Zvoltz said:

You cannot share hamsters. If you die, your hamsters will disappear. No sharing means no sharing, please don't try to get around that.
    Uh, every year people collect a ton of hamsters, take them into a closed room, and heartstop (or get killed by friends) to drop their hamsters and consolidate to one person (and then they all share the prize money).

Is that being retconned this year?  Officially retconned, so that it can be issued and the people will lose their place?
    If it's 'noshare', it's literally completely impossible to share hamsters.

Of course, it also means there's no rule about carrying hamsters and the chaos hamster, because the former no longer exists once picked up.
    Eventru said:

Xenthos said:

Zvoltz said:

Of course, it also means there's no rule about carrying hamsters and the chaos hamster, because the former no longer exists once picked up.

Er, every year when it is:
    1) No share, and
    2) Free PK,
    the hamsters are indeed shared.
    So if it is supposed to be literally impossible, it is broken. It has been issued every year and always comes back with the answer, "weeeell, the person died so it is not technically sharing..."

And if it is not no-share, then you can just give a hamster to the guy holding the chaos hamster and it will poof. Who needs elevation changes? :p
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    I just want to ask about the War event, specifically about what is written in the event schedule (http://www.lusternia.com/ascension-event-2013). What is written there had been the format in years past, and that same description was even given in last year's schedule. However the tournament structure was changed to a team vs team elimination format, but by virtue of that event description, it caused some confusion. Can the real event format be clarified on that website description, or otherwise confirm that we are going back to the old format of four wargames + winners wargames? Also if this is changed to the elimination format, can this event only be scheduled for one day, and not two?
  • NochtNocht Glomdoring
    We're actually looking at changing the format for War this year too. We've been bouncing around a few ideas, but nothing concrete yet. We will post exactly how it's going to work well in advance, however. So there'll be no surprises this year.
  • Xenthos said:
    Xenthos said:
    Zvoltz said:

Er, every year when it is: 1) No share, and 2) Free PK, the hamsters are indeed shared. So if it is supposed to be literally impossible, it is broken. It has been issued every year and always comes back with the answer, "weeeell, the person died so it is not technically sharing..." And if it is not no-share, then you can just give a hamster to the guy holding the chaos hamster and it will poof. Who needs elevation changes? :p
    There have been coded changes that do not allow you to heartstop to share hamsters. Like I said, no-share means no-share.

• Xenthos said:

Eventru said:

Xenthos said:

Zvoltz said:

Er, every year when it is:
    1) No share, and
    2) Free PK,
    the hamsters are indeed shared.
    So if it is supposed to be literally impossible, it is broken. It has been issued every year and always comes back with the answer, "weeeell, the person died so it is not technically sharing..."

And if it is not no-share, then you can just give a hamster to the guy holding the chaos hamster and it will poof. Who needs elevation changes? :p

My understanding of noshare is that it removes the hamsters when taken. If it doesn't function that way, that's my fault for being misinformed.

Heart stopping, suicide by proxy, and genuine killing can be difficult to police, and likely that's why we don't intervene. The main reason, I would speculate, it's noshare is to prevent the give-a-hamster tactic, not necessarily to prevent pooling.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Eventru said:
    I'm guessing because a) enemy territory and b) Eventru's (sorry for the name drop, but we all know it's you!) realm is more or less large enough to defend itself, what more with defenders.
    We aren't going to ban godrealms for Harmony influencing, it's already been discussed.

Er...then why disallow domoth mobs for death? It's essentially the same exact premise. No one is going to be able to wade through your merian horde to stop people.
    A large area where players can choose who gets assaulted by the NPCs and who does not, with enough NPCs to last for the entire challenge (so you never have to leave) is quite a bit more imbalanced than domoth mob farming.

The denizens themselves act as guards for the influencer.
    I think it's fine.

The reason why domoth mobs got banned is that certain people literally cannot come up to stop you, but for godrealms, everyone can still technically come in. It's very rough, but doable.

I would like clarification about the war tournament rules and heartstop thing myself.

• Shuyin said:

I would like clarification about the war tournament rules and heartstop thing myself.
    Zvoltz said:
    There have been coded changes that do not allow you to heartstop to share hamsters. Like I said, no-share means no-share.
    The hamsters cease to exist once you pick them up in a no-share event. It is not possible to give/drop/do anything with them, alive or dead, once you pick them up. HELP HAMSTER HUNT has the details. It's been this way for awhile (at least since before the Anniversary last year).

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, there's no real way to stop that kind of 'sharing'. Even if they disallowed heartstops, you can always just have the person you want to share with kill you instead. So it's pretty damn impossible to police mechanically.
  • FYI, are we considering changing Death and Harmony events to only work on prime plane (or possibly just not have influences/death count in godrealms). The former would be a lot cleaner, I think.
  • Rivius said:
    Yeah, there's no real way to stop that kind of 'sharing'. Even if they disallowed heartstops, you can always just have the person you want to share with kill you instead. So it's pretty damn impossible to police mechanically.
    No, they are saying that in the no share version, when you pick up the hamster it goes poof and your score goes up. So there is nothing to drop when you die.

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited January 2013
    Oooh. I get it now. Disregard then.
  • edited January 2013
    Estarra said:
    FYI, are we considering changing Death and Harmony events to only work on prime plane (or possibly just not have influences/death count in godrealms). The former would be a lot cleaner, I think.
    Perhaps make it non-org-controlled? I.e. no Prime Glom/Mag/Seren/Celest/Halli/Gaudi (primarily guards, but other mobs as well), no EtherGlom/EtherSeren, no Fire/Water/Earth/Air elemental planes, no Cosmic planes, no Godrealms. Still allowed would be Astral, Aetherbubbles, most of Prime, and possibly the "sister-planes" of Water/Earth (Glacier Sea and Shattered Earth), although I'm not sure how their loyalties lie.

EDIT: Oh, and no villages.
    Estarra said:

FYI, are we considering changing Death and Harmony events to only work on prime plane (or possibly just not have influences/death count in godrealms). The former would be a lot cleaner, I think.

I feel like aetherbubbles should be allowed too; there's more reward, but also more risk. Prime & aetherbubbles would seem to be the cleanest solution (two flags to check), getting the bulk of the best influencing and hunting areas.

Astral and Muud would be out though. Poor pre-Death challenge battle royale in Muud. But that's starting to get a bit more case-by-case than I think you want to go.
  • After last year I'm all for leaving out Muud.

Mixed feelings on bubbles since they can be locked down pretty hard with shrines and a meld.

• I prefer simple rather than making exceptions or inclusions to 20 different specific areas!

We can consider prime and aetherbubbles, though.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Almost sounds like it would be easier to create a new area just for Ascension events. Like a Lusternia Battlespire. Keeping track of all of these exceptions is a chore. Of course, creating a new area is a lot of work, too.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Estarra said:

I prefer simple rather than making exceptions or inclusions to 20 different specific areas!

Aetherbubbles are good, but not everyone has a bubblix, ship, etc.  If we are going to exclude places because people can't get to them (like domoth) then they should be excluded as well.
    Morshoth said:
    Estarra said:

I prefer simple rather than making exceptions or inclusions to 20 different specific areas!

Aetherbubbles are good, but not everyone has a bubblix, ship, etc.  If we are going to exclude places because people can't get to them (like domoth) then they should be excluded as well.
    Anyone who is reasonably expecting to compete should be able to at the very least get a ship with some flashpoints- there's no real reason not to do some prep-work.

Aetherbubbles are one of the best places to influence, but to do so opens you up to getting jumped and persecuted.  Risk vs. reward; if you're attacked, you very well might end up losing the whole thing.

I personally feel that adds more to the competition than the whole thing being Prime alone (at least for Harmony).  It does allow there to still be some tactics and some choices made, rather than condensing everyone down to Avenger-protection for the whole hour.

Death is less of a problem just because everywhere is free-PK, but it'd be a shame to limit Harmony to Prime alone imo.
    Prime only would be more fair. I've always been a proponent of either allowing it all or allowing none of it.

I'm voting for no aetherbubbles, and I own a ton of bubblixes.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    What about Astral, Muud, Catacombs, etc. for Death? These are all high-end go-to places for death challenges, and I honestly feel like you would run out of things to kill if you limit hunting to Prime/Aetherbubbles.
  • Kelly said:
    What about Astral, Muud, Catacombs, etc. for Death? These are all high-end go-to places for death challenges, and I honestly feel like you would run out of things to kill if you limit hunting to Prime/Aetherbubbles.

Right, all those would not count, thus, you'd have to compete more for the more limited number of mobs.