Ascension Rules

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Nowadays there's Icewynd, Lirangsha, and the UV as well- so I really doubt you'll "run out of things to kill".  You'll just run out of the high-point things fast, and end up wrestling with everyone else over what remains.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Speaking from the Celest (and Serenwilde?) standpoint(s), we are already limited in what we can hunt by moral obligation, and so I'd consider cutting out the off-Prime Soulless/Tainty places a particularly significant blow to a more limited pool of viable targets than any other org.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    I doubt it's gonna affect those orgs overly much given that there is the UV, Lirangsha, and Icewynd now. Those places are huge.

In fact, last year, all Inagin did to win the Death was bash Icewynd with a group. I think he cycled Astral too, but a majority of it was spent bashing mounds.
  • While I think it's neat it's being considered to define the fields for Death and Harmony, I'm still wondering whether, like Chaos, Death would be free PK or not.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    As I was with him during the event, Inagin spent probably half of the time in what are proposed banned places, largely Catacombs. During the past anniversary event (a less contested death challenge), participants cleared out Icewynd very quickly, and I spent probably half of the hour on Astral.

I don't really understand the sentiment of wanting to limit bashing to Prime. My personal opinion is that the event is about who can kill the most, period. Why would you want to lower the amount of things that can be bashed? Especially in considering that, through the years, we continuously introduce new buffs (curios) or skills (damageshift) that increase the rate of bashing overall.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Between UV, Lirangsha, Icewynd and the Gutter there's plenty of bashing.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Just out of curiosity, does anyone object if godrealm mobs can be used in death/harmony challenges?
    Yes.  I object greatly.  Godrealm mobs should not be included in either Death or Harmony challenges.
    Seconding what Xenthos said. They're far too abusable with metagame statuses that it would remove the contest element from it.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

You either allow them for both or you deny them for both, so it doesn't matter to me. Just try not to make any inconsistent exceptions.
    edited January 2013
    Honestly, Godrealm mobs are the main objection!  Muud / Astral / etc are not really a problem since anyone can do them.  Godrealm mobs are a huge disparity between organizations, though, and are player-controlled.

As Morkarion said, they incite a great amount of meta (last year an org was saying "we'll enemy anyone here who isn't in our city" for example).
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

I think it kind of tilts things to favor the giant, fortress style godrealms over those that aren't. Like Eventru's vs something like Maylea's. The issue is that people can brand whoever they want enemies, and they have their own massive mob army that will protect them while they influence. On top of shrines etc etc etc.You can lock down some areas but none come equipped with mob armies that protect just the order members.

Personally, I think it's unfair...but so is the huge skew towards divinus in the death event so what can you do. 

I don't think you can shrine godrealms, but you can use your pretty cult powers to buff them up and plow through anyone who tries to put 'em down.
  • edited January 2013
    For the first time ever, I agree with Xenthos, Shuyin, and Celina. No godrealm mobs please.  I think it doesn't matter so much with Death, but it matters a lot with harmony
    If you want it to matter even less with Harmony, turn Avenger off >_>
  • Then again, it might give incentives to encourage gods to expand their realms...

• Estarra said:

Then again, it might give incentives to encourage gods to expand their realms...

Slavedriver! :'(

• give zapdos a break, He's trying his hardest....it's just not always that great
    Estarra said:

Then again, it might give incentives to encourage gods to expand their realms...

2013/01/22 04:57:38 - +166181600 essence from a figurine of Ilistala, an enormous leopard by Xenthos.

Can't say we're not doing our best to help! :D

But I'd prefer "game balance for Ascension events" not be a driving reason for Realm expansion.
  • edited January 2013
    That the other gods can't keep up with me shouldn't be Celest's/Eventru's order's fault. Then again, I feel like the effort to make everything even across every class for every event devolves things towards an inevitable rock-paper-scissors. Some orgs just have advantages in some fields, and not in others.  :ar!
    Eventru said:
    That the other gods can't keep up with me shouldn't be Celest's/Eventru's order's fault. Then again, I feel like the effort to make everything even across every class for every event devolves things towards an inevitable rock-paper-scissors. Some orgs just have advantages in some fields, and not in others.  :ar!
    On the other hand, members threatening to enemy anyone else using the same thing can indeed be faulted.

That's where the real difference lies; it's not in the mobs themselves, it's in the player control of said mobs, which is not the case anywhere else.
  • Xenthos said:
    Eventru said:
    On the other hand, members threatening to enemy anyone else using the same thing can indeed be faulted.

That's where the real difference lies; it's not in the mobs themselves, it's in the player control of said mobs, which is not the case anywhere else.
    A fair point, though it's not as though such isn't accessible to every org. Certainly, godrealms tend to be more risk than benefit, I don't mind them being allowed in a contest of influencing. That's more or less their entire point - for orders to influence them.

I also don't mind restricting to the contests solely to Prime, either. It helps address a lot of previous complaints about certain areas for Death challenges (Catacombs, Astral, Muud, etc) where people hole up and either lock it down or spend hours prior to the event fighting over covering it in shrines. Which apparently, locking areas down seems to be the main problem with godrealms.
    Hence why I think it should just be Prime only. Would be much easier.
  • Prime only is the most fair option.
  • I think it would make it more interesting if it was Prime only, especially since it is Death.  People will have to kill each other for the prime locations, making it an all out blood bath!
    If you're going to include Godrealms, have statuses nullified during the contest.

That way anyone can go up there. Stops the meta b.s.

• Eventru said:
    Some orgs just have advantages in some fields, and not in others.  :ar!
    So let us use Penumbra during the event where the skill matters most!

Not really. But with that said, a giant godrealm that is controlled by the people of one org is a bit of a skewed advantage during Harmony.

I'd love to see Death and Harmony be Prime only -- competition is not a bad thing in a competition! Bubbles+Astral would be great too, but not as ideal as just Prime.
  • edited January 2013
    One point of much distress to players and admin each year are tournament rules (ie. for Justice) which are flexible enough to allow any random number of participants and also able to select a 1st-5th place. We typically go with single-elimination style, but this doesn't allow 1st-5th place rankings, and at some point someone previously eliminated has to play again. This is the part that is difficult to make everyone happy with.

Please feel free to post suggestions (that we may or may not use), which you believe will solve this problem.

Edit: Please also consider that a lot of people like to participate, so anything too involved may be impossible to implement without the event going on for an unreasonable amount of time.
  • MoiMoi
    edited January 2013
    For War, we want to do something like Teams Battlerun:
    Each player starts with 3 player points and each team with 0 team points. Wargames with three 3 man teams will be played round robin style (ie. for 7 teams, first wargame is 1v2v3, second is 4v5v6, third is 7v1v2) until a winner is determined. Every time you kill a player on an enemy team, that player (but not their team) loses a point and your team (but not you personally) gains one point. Players with 0 points are removed from their team and teams with no players remaining are removed from the tournament. Once there is a single team remaining, rank the top 5 teams by their team points to determine prizes (and ownership of the War Seal for 1st place) with ties being settled by a team vs. team wargame.
  • edited January 2013
    You should add to that help file who's allowed to compete, and the limits--if I remember correctly there's a limit to how many times you are allowed to win a challenge, and I think anybody who actually won True Ascendant doesn't get to compete in any of the challenges.

Also should warn about the change name requirement...
    [BANNERCODE]