Tweets VI: The Tweetsixteenth

Comments

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    edited March 2015
    Lavinya said:

I got 30 credits for my prestige win. Magnagora also supports its culture!

You know, Hallifax recently doubled its library rewards purely because Magnagora paid more than us in one wordcount bracket. If you're going to make a habit of doing culture things (you should) then you should consider a move to Hallifax.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    That asylum parasite you can hand to people to infect them should not only show up on diagnose, but should require declaring to hand it over.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    We offer 100 credits for prestige wins! -brandish-
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Siam said:

The whole elder ravenwood situation? Terribly puerile. Gotta commend the guy though, that's some spite-induced e-dedication, though. Now, if only that energy was channeled into something productive.

It's not difficult to grief forests with their elder trees. Especially when you have an alt to check the decay time on totems. It's called rather metagamey. Either way, I hear you guys have spawned a BT that is crazy about that kind of stuff... someone that actually set an alarm clock to wake up at 5 in the morning to do totemcarving. :D

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Shaddus said:

That asylum parasite you can hand to people to infect them should not only show up on diagnose, but should require declaring to hand it over.

Then giving any item would require declare... and will not be possible in safe rooms... and so on and so forth. It's not more than a nuisance. Although I had my laugh when I delivered it to someone once, they dropped it at the Flame, ran, and then @Alary acquisitio-ed it... which was followed by me being enemied... what? It's not me that dropped it at the Flame to be sure. :P

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Elanorwen said:

Siam said:

The whole elder ravenwood situation? Terribly puerile. Gotta commend the guy though, that's some spite-induced e-dedication, though. Now, if only that energy was channeled into something productive.

It's not difficult to grief forests with their elder trees. Especially when you have an alt to check the decay time on totems. It's called rather metagamey. Either way, I hear you guys have spawned a BT that is crazy about that kind of stuff... someone that actually set an alarm clock to wake up at 5 in the morning to do totemcarving. :D

This is why the forests agreed long ago to not screw with each other's totems, it's just a headache for everyone involved. 
    Elanorwen said:

Siam said:

If you have anything in the way of proof that he's got an alt to check elders, you need to issue it pronto.

And yes, there's a few BT that are really doing an amazing job. Tylwyth comes to mind, as well as..uh...some E-name chick.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Elanorwen said:

Shaddus said:

Then giving any item would require declare... and will not be possible in safe rooms... and so on and so forth. It's not more than a nuisance. Although I had my laugh when I delivered it to someone once, they dropped it at the Flame, ran, and then @Alary acquisitio-ed it... which was followed by me being enemied... what? It's not me that dropped it at the Flame to be sure. :P
    That's understandable, but would you be angry if I went around shotnoting random Hallifaxians and walking away?

I'm not even sure how the parasite is made, but I'm gonna look into learning how ;)
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited March 2015
    Shaddus said:

I didn't think it would work, since the Aetherplex is a peaced location. Should probably just not let it happen in peaced locations.

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Yes, please do issue even if all you got is an alt name so the admins can look into it.

That being said, I'm tweet-raving for @Solestran, @Eucled, @Elorra, @Tylwyth, @Daishian, @Akuno, @Asani, @Kalia and @Astraea. Gosh, we have some BTs to rave about?! Massive raves for that.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

Elorra, that's the one. I think.
    Maligorn said:

Shaddus said:

I didn't think it would work, since the Aetherplex is a peaced location. Should probably just not let it happen in peaced locations.
    I'm not actually mad about it icly or oocly, aside from the fact that it was rude. Rooooood.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    B-)

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Seriously, BT are doing an awesome job of keeping up on trees.

Also, <3@Illidaen, I've been showing of that favor in the logs all day.
  • Portius said:

Annick said:

Psh my play won prestige and I gots nothing from Gaudiguch

True fact: Gaudiguch's terrible culture payments are the reason my alt there withered and died. Portius gots to buy his artifact vials and lessons somehow.

Come to Hallifax, the librarian wrote the library's payment system to serve his own self-interest. Also half of our guilds pay for culture on top of the city credits.

Psst....
    8.2.6.4 THE SYMPHONIUM

[COVENANT]
    The Aeromancers Guild

[GUILD LEADERS]
    Guildmaster: Skye (The Sublime Opus)
    Guild Administrator: Pejat (The Grand Libretto of the Opera)
    Guild Champion: Maligorn (The Lord Potentate)
    Divine Patron: Isune, the Aesthete
    Guild Envoy: Maligorn (The Voice of Reason)
    Security: (nobody)
    Protectors: Zhesle, ANNICK, and Yatrius
    Secretaries: (nobody)
    Undersecretaries: Gabrielle, Nyxx, Elora, Calaehin, and Doman
    Guild Archivists: Allyrianne and Nordin
    Collegium Professors: Nyxx, Skye, Elora, Maligorn, Allyrianne,
    Pejat

edited March 2015
    The thing that sucks with Gaudiguch is that you can't get people to do crap. I asked the Minstrels to message me ideas for guild themed origami for our cartel. That's all they had to do, and at the end of a year, any idea that nobody else sent me won that person a credit.

One person responded. ONE. That Person Sent Me Eight Ideas. Eight credits just for a message.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Shaddus said:

The thing that sucks with Gaudiguch is that you can't get people to do crap. I asked the Minstrels to message me ideas for guild themed origami for our cartel. That's all they had to do, and at the end of a year, any idea that nobody else sent me won that person a credit.

One person responded. ONE. That Person Sent Me Eight Ideas. Eight credits just for a message.

Not just Gaudiguch or the Minstrels. Several times I've asked people, not just my city or guild to work with me on things, and basically each time, I got no responses from anyone. This is over the course of about 4 or 5 years now.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Shaddus said:

This happens a LOT in Serenwilde too. Contests with only one or two entrants, council projects that no on responds to (until you implement stuff they had no input on, because they didn't offer input). It's why any time I run a contest (it's been a long time), I base the reward partially on the number of participants, with participation awards that go up the more people are part of the contest. That way, you want to encourage all your friends to play too, as it makes it better for everyone! 
  • Has anyone, anywhere, ever actually done a design or ideas contest that people did seem to care about?

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
    edited March 2015
    Write more, @Annick.

Now, I'm going to through out advice based on my personal experience alting in Gaudi and trying to be a culture person. Library stuff specifically, because that's what I mostly do. I do not wish to spark a flame war about the merits of various librarianing styles. I also don't want to name names or directly discuss individuals here. It solves nothing. Please be civil.

There were two problems when I did my alting.

1. Gaudiguch's library rewards were terrible. I had a really hard time justifying library things when comparing the relative rewards. Based on current credit prices, my calculator informs me that Hallifax+Institute pays out 124 times as much for 1k word scholarly book.

2. There were difficulties in actually getting paid. Out of two books, I got paid for one and didn't get cityfavored for either. I think this is actually the more important one to fix, honestly. When the rewards are that low it becomes more a matter of respect than money, but the respect part is still very important. Was actually informed that Gaudiguch does not give favors for publishing when I asked about it, which is false according to its CHELPs.

I don't know if changing those would help with Gaudi cultural participation on the large scale. It could come done to the sorts of people that are attracted to different orgs. But fixing those would've had me splitting my output between Halli and Gaudi. I cannot comment on how it would change the behavior of other people.
    Daaaaayum. Siam got told.
    edited March 2015
    Riluna said:

Has anyone, anywhere, ever actually done a design or ideas contest that people did seem to care about?

Yes, but it's been a while. One time I did a public contest for donut recipes with decently high rewards, and got zero entries.
  • @Portius That is... not good. I will say this - As CL (since last May), I've received one notice about a book being submitted to the library, and rewards were paid out for that one fully (CF and double the gold listed in the CHELP). I assumed this was fully because we weren't getting books in, but if this has been since then, I'm confused.

I will note another problem with Gaudi is there are various issues with several of the ministries. Librarian is cursed, and we haven't been able to keep one for more than an RL month for one reason or another in a long time. I do allow ministers complete autonomy, and do allow (and for the most part encourage. Power rewards got increased heavily a few times in the last RL year) changes in rewards as long as they're discussed with me first. It's just that nobody actually submits any proposals to change them or anything. I've told three or four librarians (all but Dys, I think, who resigned around the time or before I became CL) at this point to feel free to adjust the rewards to meet or exceed that of other cities, and even change the rewards from gold to credits if they feel it would help. Just isn't getting done, and short of myself or Subotai taking over the ministry at this point or us finding somebody who really loves the position, I have doubts it will be since I refuse to interfere as CL on that one.

Honestly, I was hoping it was just a participation problem, and I'm figuring it is from the responses from everybody else in Tweets, but... yeah. I do apologise to you, Portius, and to any writers who had such issues in Gaudi. It's depressing, it's annoying, and honestly inexcusable. Just hearing that, I'm thinking it's time for me to start dropping my autonomy policy with the ministries and either handle this myself so I know it gets done, or find somebody who I know will handle it. Have a few ministries this seems to need to be done for anyway.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited March 2015
    @Annick, um. When exactly did you win prestige on our stage? More importantly, who was the culture minister? It obviously wasn't me, so...that's probably why you never got your credits.

Our stage rewards are fine. In fact, they're doubled still for the next few game years. I had the intent to straight up not end the doubling promotion, and always give those credits out, but...you know. Not a single person has yet to actually produce anything despite my constant coaching. We pay more for stage productions than Hallifax atm.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Shaddus said:

Daaaaayum. Siam got told.

I do apologize if my tone was a bit harsh, but honestly to see a whole page where there are accusations of malicious intent without proof (innocent until proven guilty, people), not to mention admin time was wasted on this. That just really upset me. I'm not on the forums much any more save a selective few threads because the general atmosphere is so toxic. But if I hadn't been told about this then this would have just gone on without my side of the story. And I don't like people to get a bad idea from me. I try and maintain a reputation of being trustworthy and doing what I do well. So yeah, this rather hurt actually :(
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
    I do feel the need to clarify that I'm only referring to Gaudi's library rewards when I say that they're awful. Their stage rewards are competitive with everywhere else that I've seen.
    edited March 2015
    Riluna said:

I do feel the need to clarify that I'm only referring to Gaudi's library rewards when I say that they're awful. Their stage rewards are competitive with everywhere else that I've seen.

Yeah, I saw that you had clarified in a later post, but I was apparently a whole page behind when I took up the Flaming Sword of Indignant Response. So I edited the pinging and snark out, mostly. Woops.

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
    Riluna said:

Has anyone, anywhere, ever actually done a design or ideas contest that people did seem to care about?

A year or so ago I ran a contest in Gaudiguch spanning all trades, I think it was on city level. It got like...five or six participants, at least. I considered it a smashing success, and went on to never host another thing, ever.

-

This discussion has been closed.