Tweets VI: The Tweetsixteenth

Comments

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    @Portius tagged me in a post and then it disappeared and now I am left hanging, woe!

• Librarian and Culture Minister are the hardest org jobs, it's just really hard to get things moving unless you're willing to do it all yourself.

This, so much this. Being Gaudi's librarian (at least in the early days, not so sure about now) was an exercise in futility, at best. Partially because the majority of what people do write there (and is interesting to read) was always deemed too "sensitive" or "secret" to actually publish. For the others that could be published, they just rarely got past the editing phase. People don't like being told they need just a bit more TLC in their work after putting so much into it. So Gaudi just stopped caring about books after a while.

Also because I'm a terrible Librarian.

People who will write are either already going to write, or they just aren't. I have no idea if it's even possible to encourage somebody, via any form of contest, to write something they weren't already going to write anyway.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I was fiddling with getting quotes to work and addressing different parts of posts to different people and derping all the while. I just kinda of threw up my arms and deleted all of my fancy formatting and direction.

I also note that the quote in @Eritheyl's post five or so back is inexplicably sourced to Riluna instead of me. Seriously, these quotes. Black magic.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Riluna said:

People who will write are either already going to write, or they just aren't. I have no idea if it's even possible to encourage somebody, via any form of contest, to write something they weren't already going to write anyway.

I am skeptical of this claim. I see it bounced around a lot, but I'm not convinced that it holds up. I have had people in Hallifax admit to me that they write primarily for the credits and cityfavor. I have put out 80 something books for Hallifax largely because I get paid a lot to do them. It's not the only reason. I hate the idea of being librarian and not having regular publications. And we have social rewards, too, like recognition in the Year in Review. I do not think it is a coincidence that Hallifax has both the largest recent library (Little known command: you can do LIBRARIES to check library scores. I dunno if you have to be librarian to check or if anyone can do it, though) and the highest payouts.

People react to rewards. There's a lot of different forms these can take. In some cases, that reward might be that they enjoy doing it. In others, it can be prestige or cold hard credits. Priorities will vary from person to person.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Portius said:

I was fiddling with getting quotes to work and addressing different parts of posts to different people and derping all the while. I just kinda of threw up my arms and deleted all of my fancy formatting and direction.

I also note that the quote in @Eritheyl's post five or so back is inexplicably sourced to Riluna instead of me. Seriously, these quotes. Black magic.

Yeah I give up on quoting too, garbage code is garbage.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I wonder what the rewards for competing in a village revolt, or flares, or a domoth are in Hallifax

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Cityfavours if not cr6, a pat on the back if cr6.

I would love a 1 credit reward for successful conquests for all cr6's involved like Magnagora, but at the same time I don't mind just getting an honourable mention.

• Shaddus said:

Elanorwen said:

Siam said:

The whole elder ravenwood situation? Terribly puerile. Gotta commend the guy though, that's some spite-induced e-dedication, though. Now, if only that energy was channeled into something productive.

It's not difficult to grief forests with their elder trees. Especially when you have an alt to check the decay time on totems. It's called rather metagamey. Either way, I hear you guys have spawned a BT that is crazy about that kind of stuff... someone that actually set an alarm clock to wake up at 5 in the morning to do totemcarving. :D
    If you have anything in the way of proof that he's got an alt to check elders, you need to issue it pronto.

And yes, there's a few BT that are really doing an amazing job. Tylwyth comes to mind, as well as..uh...some E-name chick.
    Raves to @Elorra She's been pretty awesome, even if I have to drag her through the assembllies to get her Guild rank up.
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Enyalida said:

Librarian and Culture Minister are the hardest org jobs, it's just really hard to get things moving unless you're willing to do it all yourself.

I don't think MoCA is that difficult. I think people just go in big and burn out fast.
  • Enyalida said:

Librarian and Culture Minister are the hardest org jobs, it's just really hard to get things moving unless you're willing to do it all yourself.

We actually recently introduced a rotating minister protocal in Hallifax to reduce burnout while giving Portius a break from shouldering the office for real life years.  My only fear is that, like Atlas, @Portius will taste sweet freedom and never again consent to bear the terrible weight of the library again. 
    Ah man, Hallifaxes rewards for those things are TERRIBAD. 

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Annick said:

Enyalida said:

I don't think MoCA is that difficult. I think people just go in big and burn out fast.
    It isn't hard to do, but it's hard to do right. Which is why I haven't done it right in literal years, too much work.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    MoCA can be discouraging for the reasons @Enyalida mentioned. After the nth contest that gets one submission or the nth event your designated hosts bailed on, it can feel futile to even try. Even Hallifax has event flops from time to time, and I know I had a fair few as MoCA, even though it was a super fun period for me overall.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    Synkarin said:

Service is its own reward :x

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I can remember when Hallifax told warriors "you don't get rewards for your defense and conflicts, that's your payment for living here".
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    As for contests and low turnout -- I once held a two-year power contest. It would've been completely barren except for @Tyskel and @Nordin . The former brought in 20k+ power on his own and the latter brought in 14k maybe? Epic quest contributions weren't allowed. Either way they were freakin' ridiculous.

Shaddus said:

I can remember when Hallifax told warriors "you don't get rewards for your defense and conflicts, that's your payment for living here".

That's not exactly how it was phrased, but yes, it wasn't the best time to be interested in PK in Hallifax. Pretty sure that stance was encouraged by the admin leadership of the city at the time, though.
    I used to make cakes.

• edited March 2015
    Rialorm said:

Siam said:

To whoever deleted Glomdoring's library publishing and reward recording projects, I WILL FIND YOU AND I WILL END YOU. Those projects contained real life years worth of records which I'm unsure if they could ever be retrieved. Not. Happy. At. All. Help me, because if I found out that this was done in malice and not in error, I will raise hell. :S Not amused. This was the work and combined effort of several people, mind you. GONE. ALL GONE.

You can calm down now. It was me. If you will take a look at CHELP LIBRARY you will notice that it has been overhauled to offer rewards on par with other orgs, plus it was simplified in such a way that it no longer needs a log to keep track of things, hence eliminating the need for useless bureaucracy. I pushed the new system through before Salome replaced me, the Court voted on it and it was accepted without remark before I implemented it. Hence the project was deleted, as it was of no more use, all these old projects do is confuse newbies so I wanted to eliminate that. I've spoken to Salome about it already. If someone had just shot me a message about this this entire kerfluffle could have been avoided. I'm not entirely happy to see how this was handled. Nor that some imply I didn't do my job or that I had malicious intent in mind. It's that someone alerted me to this because I've not been on the forums. Please check facts before jumping the gun in future, it just makes everyone involved seem stupid and that is not cool.
    @Rialorm Hey, first of all, I would like to extend an apology if you perceived that I was coming off as this being a super big issue, or that there was intent to be mean or nasty involved - I know you weren't, honestly for me I was merely curious as to what happened, not as if I was instigating some witchhunt. You are a wonderful contribution to the Glomdoring, from the looks of it, and I would hate to have you feel hurt like this for some misunderstanding. I am sorry that this happened, and I hope that I have not contributed in the hurt in some passive manner by inquiry. You did your job extremely well, and that is the result of what I am seeing right now with what you had to work with, and what you were left to work with. Thank you for being clear about this as well. Honesty, in -everything- is the best policy.

Edit: tl;dr I am sorry for the unnecessary upset. You are wonderful. Yes, this was mildly dumb. Also, I can't spell.
    The apple is cold, crisp, and sour as the juices fill your mouth. As you consume the fruit, you glimpse, for a moment, a massive, shadowy figure, Her snow-white hair framing a perfect, icy-eyed visage. Beneath you, a vast, perfect web of silken strands lies - and, for a moment, you realize that you too are part of it, weaver and strand both - and home.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I remember when Hallifax opened. It became the org all the non coms from other orgs flocked to to take out their angst on PKers who got more favors and fame for doing PK things. Ultimately, they realized shaming PKers was a fast track to never winning anything ever, so they dropped it eventually.
    Daraius said:

Shaddus said:

That's not exactly how it was phrased, but yes, it wasn't the best time to be interested in PK in Hallifax. Pretty sure that stance was encouraged by the admin leadership of the city at the time, though.
    It was, but it was also said by players as well. I've told the story entirely too many times, but I was literally denied founder status in the Institute on my most active character because my character wasn't "a scientist". Not denied by a player, denied by an admin controlling a mob.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    We're doin all right now. :)
    I used to make cakes.

That's cause Gaudiguch infiltrated you and showed you that change is good :D
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Too bad about perpetual second fiddle status, though.
  • Why I no has giraffe print speedo yet.... Interrobang
  • @Salome: Wasn't your fault, you went with what you heard. Honestly I am glad you want to do something with librarian, I'm one of those bitter vets discouraged by people not participating in contests, but then again Glom was kinda rather dead and empty until recently. Glad that is turning around. I'm going to sleep on it and suck it up and then just focus on the good things in the game. Like, I dunno, getting to know you IC or something :P Although I've already informed there might be possible awkward there so that'll be funny. Anyway, thanks for being on the ball, because it could have very well been a case of someone deleting stuff. That has sadly happened. Just not me.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
    Maligorn said:

Synkarin said:

Service is its own reward :x
    The service should be it's own reward for publishing books and the like too :)

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Shrug city. The only reason there -aren't- credit rewards for PK conquests is because none of our PKers have ever asked for them. I'm okay with changing that or keeping it the same; doesn't make much difference to me.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Regarding paying for PK events--as mentioned elsewhere, Serenwilde gives out a CF to everyone who participates, or a credit if you're CR6. And in another thread, we were told that we were WAY too generous for giving that out to participants.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    Everiine said:

Regarding paying for PK events--as mentioned elsewhere, Serenwilde gives out a CF to everyone who participates, or a credit if you're CR6. And in another thread, we were told that we were WAY too generous for giving that out to participants.

I'm not saying that participants should be bribed for participating, but...well, yeah.
This discussion has been closed.