Ministry of War

Every Organization, as far as I know, has their own fighter clan,  On top of that, in every organization there is those few people who lead the raids and defenses.
because of that, I propose the formulation of the Ministry of War, to officiate it.

proposed roles:
1. Manage the general upkeep of defences.
2. Work with each guilds' champion to train fighters and come up with joint strategies.
3. Head the fighter clan of said organization
4. Be in charge of recruiting new fighters, and inspire others to do the same.

This is pretty much what I thought of so far.
What do you think?

Comments

• 5. Assume control of the Arena

The Ministry of Fun has a bunch of cultural stuff, and somehow the Arena plopped in.  I can understand the original reasoning (duels and battlechess and wargames, etc), but it just doesn't align with the rest of the Ministry's goals.
    </RANT>
  • That would actually be a great idea honestly.
  • If the MoCs don't want to run the arena's, why not borrow a page from how stages are ran and just give those privs to Security?

If you have a clan and not all orgs use one (eye gaudi) you wouldn't really need an additional minister. Upkeep of guards are handled by guild security and often overseen by the councils and Minsters of Powers who are trying to really watch power consumption. If the fighters in the org's combat clan want to teach they usually have some willing (Celest has the Brigade which in times past used to go out of their way to teach people). Nowdays, help is available but you probably need to be a bit specific in what you want and you may need to ask a few times.

What tends to happen with the combat clans is a bit of inertia. For instance Gaudi's FFF exists, but has fallen into a sort of disuse (as in it exists, but no one is going out of their way to induct or use it for the city as a whole). The clan gets a leader, they have big ideas, maybe they even pull them off for a good long while. At some point they get busy with other things or become less available. If the clan is built well and there are active deputiesthen it canit can just keep going on, until the deputies start fighting with each other or it otherwise blows up. If not, the clan falls into disuse or if you're lucky gets used as a channel.

The real problem as I see is is that councils are often crap at dealing with PK. It might have been a fluke, but Celest worked really well when the military was separate. The Council enacted laws and treaties, but the Brigade ran itself. There were times when there was friction, but in hindsight is seemed far less then when some random Councilor or CL tried to run something.

I tend to be in the camp we have a bit too many officers. But should it be implemented it wouldn't really impact me, since honestly if we wouldn't follow the person without the office, we'll just ignore them mostly with it.
  • I don't really think we need another ministry just for PK, since every org has five (four for halli/gaudi) elected pk-leadership posts. Generally, the idea of a military separate from government is a fairly interesting idea, but I don't think it'll actually be feasible as a mechanical role.

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    I support Steingrim's suggestion.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Lerad said:

I don't really think we need another ministry just for PK, since every org has five (four for halli/gaudi) elected pk-leadership posts. Generally, the idea of a military separate from government is a fairly interesting idea, but I don't think it'll actually be feasible as a mechanical role.

Plus, what happens when one of the ÜBAR PK SKWAD™ gets elected GM or CL and has to leave the ministry position?
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    GMs dont' have to leave their ministry positions. Not sure off the top of my head if CLs do.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Everiine said:

GMs dont' have to leave their ministry positions. Not sure off the top of my head if CLs do.

They don't. Maellio has been treasurer of Halli for quite a long while.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • CLs are capable of holding Ministries,  Maellio is Hallifax's... either Steward or Treasurer.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Oh, ignore me then.
  • CL can hold ministries, but can't assign themselves to them (meaning they have to hold the ministry before they're elected). GM can be assigned to and hold them.

Incidentally, both can do most of the jobs of most of the ministries in the city anyway. It's mostly the withdraw privs they don't have access to, as well as some others (I don't think they get diplomacy summary or any of the other Ambassador privs, but I could be wrong).
  • If we had a million nations, I'd say split the Minister of Foreign Affairs from the Secretary of the Interior, but since that isn't going to happen...

Just leave things as they are?
    </RANT>
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    What are you talking about?
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I think Dephas' IC insanity is creeping into the OOC. :P

• For some reason this made me think of collegiums and the relationship between elected officials and selected officials?

Personally I guess I don't like the idea in its current incarnation, I suppose what I'd prefer is something similar to the collegium system. You can probably find a super approriate name but I'm just going to call them sentai for now.

You'd have a sentai aether, help files etc, and the champions of the guilds would mechanically be in charge of the whole thing. Below them would be the security from each guild, then the protectors, then the rest of the population. If a single leader is required this could be done through the majority of the champions supporting someone who would need to accept this.

If nothing else, it frees up a clanslot, but it also means you have a mechanical thing that you could build stuff into later.

IDK, i'd rather see the existing people who are elected for this stuff empowered, rather than creating yet another ministry.
  • Saran said:

For some reason this made me think of collegiums and the relationship between elected officials and selected officials?

Personally I guess I don't like the idea in its current incarnation, I suppose what I'd prefer is something similar to the collegium system. You can probably find a super approriate name but I'm just going to call them sentai for now.

You'd have a sentai aether, help files etc, and the champions of the guilds would mechanically be in charge of the whole thing. Below them would be the security from each guild, then the protectors, then the rest of the population. If a single leader is required this could be done through the majority of the champions supporting someone who would need to accept this.

If nothing else, it frees up a clanslot, but it also means you have a mechanical thing that you could build stuff into later.

IDK, i'd rather see the existing people who are elected for this stuff empowered, rather than creating yet another ministry.
    That's an interesting idea. I personally would have like to have seen collegiums take over some of the general tasks that guilds do. I'm one of those apparently rare people who scoff a bit at guilds checking how many herbs you do or do not have. Having a sort of military academy who had some early quests, such as showing the npc your equipment would be my preference.

I'm not convinced it would free up a clan slot. Unless the admins are going to provide a channel that stealth users can't overhear.
  • Steingrim said:

Saran said:

For some reason this made me think of collegiums and the relationship between elected officials and selected officials?

That's an interesting idea. I personally would have like to have seen collegiums take over some of the general tasks that guilds do. I'm one of those apparently rare people who scoff a bit at guilds checking how many herbs you do or do not have. Having a sort of military academy who had some early quests, such as showing the npc your equipment would be my preference.

I'm not convinced it would free up a clan slot. Unless the admins are going to provide a channel that stealth users can't overhear.

I'd see this potentially as something that you'd join (most likely just a simple mechanic, like going to the sentai base and talking to a mob) as opposed to being where you begin.

But yeah, once it's an entity there are various options you could build into it. Orgs could decide to centralise their training for example, privs could be assigned to them (such as control of the arena if desired).

The aether could be immune, either by default or perhaps by some mechanic, though it would be a military aether so I would assume it would have some protections.
  • Hallifax already has a Minister and ministry of war Peace and we're fine.