Chaos 2013 Review

So, the 2013 Chaos Seal has come and gone and the results will be apparent soon on the Events newsboards. While winning is enjoyable, I feel that the challenge aspect of it has fallen a bit by the wayside. With great planning and excellent coordination, Chaos essentially boils down to a trench war that largely takes out the point of the event being chaotic. While we all appreciate a measure of stability, the plan of sitting still behind a wall of defenders after attaining the hamster makes the seal competition essentially a staring contest in the long run.

When this was first brought up on envoys, a few suggestions were thrown about, but I wanted this idea to be really considered, so here it's been dragged to the forums for public and administrative consideration.
  • The first suggestion was to make it so that the hamster bearer needs to move between at least two different areas within x-minutes or lose the hamster. While this will certainly eliminate the single area stand off, I feel it'll just push the player base to find another stronghold that is easy to lock down but connects to a second area to accommodate the rule.
  • A second suggestion, and my personal choice, is to make the hamster bearer randomly teleport alongside of the hamster every 5 - 10 minutes. This would not only reinstate the chaos of the event, but actually force the camp to continuously move rather than staying solely in one stronghold. Viability, however, is up in the air as I don't know how complicated that'd be to actually implement.
Hopefully this could be given some serious consideration, and thoughts are always welcome!

Comments

• Could you imagine if the hamster teleported the person holding it around? Oh god. That would be awful. And awesome. And I might throw up and never log into a Chaos event ever.

Let's do it.
  • edited February 2013
    I was kind of surprised to see that the hamsters now disappear when you pick them up. I know this is probably meant to prevent cheating (dropping hamsters in an enclosed area as a work-around for the "no sharing" rule), but this removes the elements of chaos hamster+regular hamsters not mixing, and fighting over regular hamsters from the game entirely.

Please don't hate me, because I've certainly been among those to complain about going against the spirit of the no-sharing rule by having multiple parties collect for the ultimate benefit of one person in the past... but maybe there's a better solution for future events? Beyond admin refereeing though, I don't have one.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!

• Talan said:
    I was kind of surprised to see that the hamsters now disappear when you pick them up. I know this is probably meant to prevent cheating (dropping hamsters in an enclosed area as a work-around for the "no sharing" rule), but this removes the elements of chaos hamster+regular hamsters not mixing, and fighting over regular hamsters from the game entirely.

Please don't hate me, because I've certainly been among those to complain about going against the spirit of the no-sharing rule by having multiple parties collect for the ultimate benefit of one person in the past... but maybe there's a better solution for future events? Beyond admin refereeing though, I don't have one though.
    We are always open to feedback, but the general point is that we want the code to handle as much of the rules as possible rather than requiring the admin to referee what is a legitimate death and what is "cheating" to share hamsters.

• Viynain said:
    • A second suggestion, and my personal choice, is to make the hamster bearer randomly teleport alongside of the hamster every 5 - 10 minutes. This would not only reinstate the chaos of the event, but actually force the camp to continuously move rather than staying solely in one stronghold. Viability, however, is up in the air as I don't know how complicated that'd be to actually implement.
    Hopefully this could be given some serious consideration, and thoughts are always welcome!
    This. It would be a good change.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Viynain said:
    I want this purely for the rage of ALMOST killing the hamster holder before they're teleported off to the arse end of the basin.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• After hearing that a single person managed to get and hold the hamster the entire time, I agree with Viynain's second suggestion of random teleport. Not only is that actually well, chaotic, but it'd add an element of scrambling and nerves to the game. Especially if it wasn't on a strict timer of just 5 minutes, or 10 minutes. Undoubtedly if it were people would just start setting timers and know when it was time to get ready to scramble and find the person with the hamster again before said person got killed. 
  • Morkarion said:
    Viynain said:
    I want this purely for the rage of ALMOST killing the hamster holder before they're teleported off to the arse end of the basin.
    Once you've held the hamster for a reasonable period of time, you'll die to any significant amount of bleeding (claws, lacerate, etc.) because you can't get enough clot/chervil through. If you can get to them, just smack them with something like that. Heretic/infidel, rainbowpattern, etc. would all do something similar but might not be enough on their own.

I agree with the hamster-teleport thing, and would like to emphasise that it has to be out of the area, and people should not follow (else the group will just follow the hamster-holder and good luck). I'd suggest shorter than 10 minutes, though. That's only 6 teleports in the challenge. Perhaps make it based on points or insanity? The more points (or insanity) you have (i.e. the longer you've held the Hamster), the faster you teleport.

You could also make PERFORM SOBER not block damage. Even with a healer, people will die to one-shot drunk damage reasonably quickly.

Of course, if you _really_ want Chaos, make the hamster have other effects than just insanity+drunkeness. Perhaps randomly place the holder on nearby people's enemy/ally lists. Make the hamster holder randomly attack nearby people (stripping shield!). Make the movement of the holder move them in a random direction, even when following. Perhaps have the hamster not just teleport to a random room, but occasionally swap with someone in a suitable area (not indoors, not organization, etc.). It's pretty easy to lock down an area, even without statues or shrines, just by finding a single-entry room and turning it into a meat grinder with barrier, meld, etc.

Of course, all of the above are extra coding. The random movement at an appropriate period is probably simplest.
  • Make the teleport timer random, but not longer than 10 minutes. Chaos!
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • Chaos: Every room in the area that the Hamster is held is treated as if Paradigmatics Reality were cast in it.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Randomly force you and people in the room with you to Concentrate on something other then the hamster, and restore your equilibrium.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • Iytha said:
    Chaos: Every room in the area that the Hamster is held is treated as if Paradigmatics Reality were cast in it.
    It would need to be a special Reality that teleported to a random room on Prime, not Astral. And not indoors/org territory.
  • I'd like these changes but in a way, I'd like the person who held it for most of the time then to win. Otherwise it'll become a really unfair event that'll just be bound to piss people off.
  • I don't know.. I'd have liked for Chaos to have been won by a random novice picking the chaos hamster up a few seconds before the event is over. It'd be hilariously anticlimactic.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Kiradawea said:
    I don't know.. I'd have liked for Chaos to have been won by a random novice picking the chaos hamster up a few seconds before the event is over. It'd be hilariously anticlimactic.
    Heh, I'd be impressed to see a novice or lower circle player win a seal, I must admit - it's not impossible, particularly with events like Seal of Nature and Seal of Beauty, where battle prowess don't really come into play
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Needs to be village revolts like the first one.  That was fun.