Looking for feedback on my bardic story

Hi everyone, I got started writing a story about Winnae the Puissant.  Decided to enter it as Winnae for some reason I don't remember anymore.  I'd like to invite people to read it and give me feedback, though.

Thanks!

Comments

• I love it. LOVE IT. Please, write more. Write all the time. Do nothing but write.

Two small things for your benefit, though:
    1) "Winnae’s ability to secretly tale Orthros had only worked for so long." - homonomnomophone, use 'tail' instead.
    2) "This was a dangerous handicap for him because even if he was an n’Kylbar" - just snip 'an' to 'a'.
    A far away voice whispers, the sound barely reaching your ears, yet the words remain perfectly clear, "Then so be it."
  • 2) "This was a dangerous handicap for him because even if he was an n’Kylbar" - just snip 'an' to 'a'.

The way we pronounce n'Kylbar actually demands the "an". Think of the 'n' as 'en' in 'enemy'.
  • ... What, really? I've always read it closer to nuh.
  • Being an imaginary nobiliary particle it's up for debate but I've always seen the n'Kylbar themselves and their associates use it that way so it stuck. Similarly has been often used for n'Lochli and n'Rotri. You're free to nuh'huh(bar) them though!
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I always shy away from using either (though an n'Kylbar is how I would put it) by saying something like 'she was born to/of/in the n'Kylbar' over 'she is an/a n'Kylbar'.

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I always took all of those to be attached articles, such that the correct form would be "is n'Kylbar." My mind is blown.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    In my real life, I've only known people with the letter-apostrophe-surname construction to pronounce the letter name of that initial letter, rather than the sound it makes. But truth be told, I've only known one family with a name like that. They pronounced d'Agostino as dee-Agostino, which may or may not be how their Italian predecessors said it.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Daraius said:

In my real life, I've only known people with the letter-apostrophe-surname construction to pronounce the letter name of that initial letter, rather than the sound it makes. But truth be told, I've only known one family with a name like that. They pronounced d'Agostino as dee-Agostino, which may or may not be how their Italian predecessors said it.

My understanding of this from my own relatives is that Italian names with a d' prefix is that they are attachments of 'di', which means 'of', as Portius suggests, and that the pronunciation of the prefix as 'dee' is simply consistent with the unattached preposition.
  • Followup thought: does that mean you'd pronounce it ed murani?
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Kalnid said:

Followup thought: does that mean you'd pronounce it ed murani?

Actually no. I pronounce it DEE Murani. And EN Kylbar. and EYE Xiia. I say the letter, not the sound. Which is probably why I think of it the way I do. I don't think either way could be expressly considered correct or wrong in the context of the game, really.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    The story needs more hunny.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I always think-pronounced them as 'EE- -call-EE-ath', 'duh- -murr-ah-NEE', and 'KNEE- -kill-bar'. Oh, and just because we're throwing out extra names with glottal stops, 'EE-sov- -rye', and 'IX- -EE-ah', and 'du- -sahnt'
  • Drocilla said:

2) "This was a dangerous handicap for him because even if he was an n’Kylbar" - just snip 'an' to 'a'.

The way we pronounce n'Kylbar actually demands the "an". Think of the 'n' as 'en' in 'enemy'.
    I thought it was more so as in 'neener neener'?
  • I love it. LOVE IT. Please, write more. Write all the time. Do nothing but write.

Two small things for your benefit, though:
    1) "Winnae’s ability to secretly tale Orthros had only worked for so long." - homonomnomophone, use 'tail' instead.

Thanks and good finds! I'm not sure what to do about the n'Kylbar since everyone is saying it differently.  I've always said "en-Kill-bar" and "dee-mur-an-ee" myself.

I was originally going for a Game of Thrones like thing with the nobility elements, but since they're kids, it turned into a bunch of kids trying to play game of thrones which was pretty fun to write. :D