Pronuciation of Xion

I have been talking about a piece of writing involving some wordplay with Portius, but it depends pretty heavily on the pronunciation of certain words.  I am curious how people pronounce the aetherbubble Xion's name in their heads.

Comments

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Long i, short o. Z, not shi.

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    I read it as "scion" myself. :D
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I pronounce it like 'She-on', actually.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Chi-own

Reasoning: Xyl turned into the lucidians, so I'm assuming that anything he made and named will follow the same pronunciation as the lucidian language. Since as far as I can tell Lucidian is basically Greek,  I say it like I would in Greek.[1]

[1]Technically an ahistorical pronunciation, but the actual sound that chi made doesn't exist in English and treating it as a "ch" is the convention.

Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Pronunciation.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Bob.
  • I'm with Xiam on this. I also like Senthos suggestion.
  • edited May 2015
    Aren't X sounds usually Z ones? Excluding Charles Xavier for some reason, which always confused me and I've always called him Charles Zavier in my head instead of Ex-avier.

Anyway, I say Xion ans Zion.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    He's Charles Ex-avier because he leads (or led) the Ex-Men from the Ex-Mansion. That's the only reason, really.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Renna said:

Aren't X sounds usually Z ones? Excluding Charles Xavier for some reason, which always confused me and I've always called him Charles Zavier in my head instead of Ex-avier.

My son is Xavier and he gets quite annoyed if anyone pronounces it EX-avier. We always tell people Xavier like Xylophone!

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Lavinya said:

Renna said:

My son is Xavier and he gets quite annoyed if anyone pronounces it EX-avier. We always tell people Xavier like Xylophone!
    Chi-avier.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    She-av-yay?
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • "Saviour"?
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    'Zeye-on' is how I've head-said it. It's spelled very similarly to Mt. Zion, which I grew up hearing pronounced a certain way, and since the X can make that sound, it works in my head. If that's not how it's supposed to go, though, that's cool.

One thing I've always wanted in Lusternia is a pronunciation key. Robert Jordan gave us one, even if GRRM won't, it's not a bad idea to have a ginormous list of 'This is how you say X' for official things like NPCs, cities, bubbles, etc. Obviously, players and player chosen things would have to be left off, but even with that it would be nice. >.>
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Probably why he died before finishing WoT - damn pronunciation guide

I don't know if I want any more GoT books now that the show seems to be surpassing them

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.