Aethership Building Questions

edited May 2015 in Common Grounds
So I got curious when looking at skills what Aethercraft was used for. So I looked at its ab. Then read a bit on aetherships and asked around a bit IC about them. I have to say this has me greatly intrigued.

I will still be asking around ic but I figure it could not hurt to get a few questions out here before I start planning and saving up to build my idea of a massive flagship.

What are aether ship speeds like at various room sizes? (I was told more rooms made it slower)

Is there a point where the extra hull strength becomes useless thanks to lost speed?

Just curious why they are limited to three turrets?

Also do people care for the design of a layout or would I entirely be wasting my time in planning that out?

Comments

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Welcome to aethercrafting! I only have one ship, myself, and not a ton of experience with others, but I enjoy the whole concept of aetherspace and algontherines so I'll weigh in.

- The size of your ship is going to depend on what you're using it for. If it's just a private boat for traveling to bubbles or ferrying people around, you want it to be small. You wouldn't need anything more than a command chair (and shield orb), really, since you would just be zipping around aetherspace without engaging any beasts. If you want to be useful in aetherflares, you'll need at least one turret to bombard. For general-purpose aetherhunting, I've found 2500 hull strength is fine. If your pilot knows what he or she is doing, you can hunt dragons or tentacles relatively safely, and the ship will still be very agile.

I don't think the tradeoff between hull strength and speed is a concern for people and orgs who build flagships. These behemoths will generally have flashpoints set ahead of time, or be whistled from place to place. Their function is to be more or less impervious, so maneuverability isn't too important. Still, you need bags of money to reach that size (org-level bags of money, I'd say). It's not something an individual citizen really needs to attempt (unless you're Munsia and Arimisia).

As for turrets... Any more than three and aetherhunting would be even more stupid easy than it is now.

And design? If it's a maze, people (especially your slivven hunters) may not love flying with you. My own ship isn't the most intuitive, and in fact Hallifax has several other ships with much more function-oriented layouts, and those are generally picked over the Yantra for hunting. But... I love my ship and I loved designing it. If you really enjoy that kind of stuff, I wouldn't call it a waste of time. 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited May 2015
    you my good sir may have just created a monster in me >.>  My new long term goal is to have a fleet of ships! Each with a unique purpose..

On a more serious note great answers! They were very detailed and covered what I needed to know.

Can players attack other Atherships?  If so I hope the admins have ideas for pvp oriented modules (as in only work on other aethercraft) on the drawing board.

I might start with one or two smaller sized craft and add more from there as I save up the gold for bigger ships.  Maybe a transport and a small skirmish vessel like a patrol aethercraft or something.

(side note... I think I just discovered my characters future... Aethership builder!)

Just a few questions based on your answers.. How much hull strength does a room add?

Edit: sorry for my cloudcuckoolander bable... this just has me super excited
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited May 2015
    Yes, the purpose of the Aethercraft skillset and the turret modules is largely to attack other aetherships. In fact, there's a regular game event that centers around it. 

Each room adds 50 hull.

Making even one decently sized ship costs several million gold - something to be aware of.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Plus laying it out, and setting perms, and then actually finding a competent crew to man it that doesn't get pissed and leave at the occasional explosion and death.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • @Enyalida Yeah I am well aware of the cost factor hence this being a long tem goal. :)

@Shaddus If they get mad at one exsplosion then so be it! New crew can be found (albeit maybe slowly) for Science!
    Okay! Just making sure you knew!
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    There are lots of people in glom who want to do aether stuff. It's just getting them all together. I, for one, rather like aether space. I know that Athree, Salome, and I want to say Tau all also like or are interested in aetherhunts. So, start hitting people up IG, and we can try restarting the Glom aether demi train.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    It is quite a lot of gold, though. I started work on my aethership in December, and I've only got eight rooms since, having to upkeep other things. Starting with the smaller ships before working on your giant flagship is a really good idea.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • You can likely use one of Glom's already existing ships rather than building one from scratch. Glom's ships are artied out as well.

• A really nice benefit of aetherhunting, though, is that you can use the gobs and gobs of money you make from aetherhunting to fund the expanse of the ship, but at a point, you have to stop expanding and focus on module artifacts. 

Aetherspace can be a LOT of fun, and surprisingly only a small portion of the playerbase genuinely get involved with it. I would highly recommend asking about and seeing if your commune/city has an aetherfleet clan or something similar. It would have information about aethercraft AND provide you to a resource of people you can grab and go aetherhunting with.

• Feed me credits, and I will pilot for days on end.
    A far away voice whispers, the sound barely reaching your ears, yet the words remain perfectly clear, "Then so be it."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited May 2015
    My Yantra I think was one of Halli's first ships. It was actually Arte, I think, who pushed me towards building it, and he even got the city and guilds to give me huge grants of gold for the modules and rooms. 3 million altogether, which I paid back over the course of 25 IG years or so by donating half of my dust-trading profits. (P.S. Your ship will pay for itself if you collect the dust after aetherhunts and trade it shrewdly with the gnomish merchant ships in aetherspace)
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited May 2015
    @Tarkenton Sounds fun!

@Tremula heh I thought so too :3

@Lerad I might do that while saving up to build my own.  Building them just seems so fun.

@Lorina I will look into that thanks for the suggestion!

@Phulbelishi Out of money atm and gotta wait to see what I have after bills on my next pay sorry :(

@Daraius Ohhh Good to know!

• Makaela said:
    @Phulbelishi Out of money atm and gotta wait to see what I have after bills on my next pay sorry :(
    The offer was open to anyone, honestly.

:-bd
    A far away voice whispers, the sound barely reaching your ears, yet the words remain perfectly clear, "Then so be it."
  • edited May 2015
    Size doesn't matter after a while for hunting due to the inert regen of the hull with the addition of an empath; meaning as long as you're keeping the necessary modules clear, you effectively won't even need to move. That said, I still have a genies set that needs to be sold (1800cr!) so I can start building my ship again.
  • Tarkenton said:
    There are lots of people in glom who want to do aether stuff. It's just getting them all together. I, for one, rather like aether space. I know that Athree, Salome, and I want to say Tau all also like or are interested in aetherhunts. So, start hitting people up IG, and we can try restarting the Glom aether demi train.
    I'd totally do aether stuff also. Never have been.
  • Just because I was mentioned here I feel slightly obliged to give a little input. The ship that Munsia and I are building has a purpose and the layout is slowly actually coming into an actual layout. if you want a layout, have it beforehand because doing it later is not only expensive (creating exits is not costly but when you multiply that several hundred times and when you get lost and have to rename rooms which does cost 1000 gold so you becomes not so lost, it adds up and fast.)

Just for the ship itself, no modules or anything else my ship has 161 million gold sunk into it, then all the modules and upgrades for all those modules, that is more gold and several thousands credits.

If you like building, we are looking for people who want to do floor plans!
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• @Arimisia

Are those plans all for one ship???

I was told you two were planing something huge but wow. Also I think I was told Gloms biggest ship is 30 rooms?

What Org are you guys in and is it on good terms with Glom?

I would love to draw up floor plans if able and so long as our orgs get along.
    Glom's biggest ship is probably a whole lot more than 30 rooms big, even if not all of that is accessible area. For instance, a few RL months ago, I added another 70 rooms or so to Seren's flagship, deploying them in a big clot behind a locked door.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Makaela said:
    @Arimisia Are those plans all for one ship??? I was told you two were planing something huge but wow. Also I think I was told Gloms biggest ship is 30 rooms? What Org are you guys in and is it on good terms with Glom? I would love to draw up floor plans if able and so long as our orgs get along.
    Give or take some 450-odd rooms.

You might be thinking of Ilosia, which is "only" 43 rooms.
  • Ilosia is the one I was told is our biggest XD
  • Ilosia is our most artifacted, and possibly the most effective battleship. It can't compare in tanking, but it's much more maneuverable, and the artifacts give it a leg up on turret speed and hitting the opponent with aethership affs. Though, a plain old shoot-out with huge hulls does seem to be the more reliable tactic nowadays (I say nowadays, but proper aethership PK hasn't happened in a long while either)

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    42 or 43 rooms is the limit of rooms before the speed starts dropping massively.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    Makaela said:
    Ilosia is the one I was told is our biggest XD
    Ilosia is our destroyer, Nyx Daedema is our battleship.
  • Well, technically, I guess that's the right term to use, given the size comparisons. But I've always preferred the idea of Ilosia being the battleship. =(

Lerad said:
    Well, technically, I guess that's the right term to use, given the size comparisons. But I've always preferred the idea of Ilosia being the battleship. =(
    Destroyers tend to be faster, more agile, and can pack a pretty mean punch too.  They just can't stand up to quite the same level of punishment.  I think it's pretty apt!
  • So... we still have room for a massive flag ship in the commune fleet?
    Makaela said:
    So... we still have room for a massive flag ship in the commune fleet?
    I'd call Nyx the massive ship.  It's kind of hard to call ships that size a flagship, they are more battle-stations.
  • :( What type of ship does Glom still need? I want an excuse besides an ooc desire to build one.