Phase II: Buff Overhaul

Comments

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    edited June 2015
    I found that I got a benefit from amber and dark, as soon as I tried to increase my drunkenness though I was hit with a big resistance malus for fumbling, which as a brewmeister dwarf wouldn't happen after a few sips of whiskey at the best of times. Hopefully the racial changes will address that, but it was a massive nerf (and deterrent to bother with drunkenness and actually having a tolerance or the artifacts to maintain it). If I could actually log in right now I'd share the exact numbers but alas.

• Personally on the drunkenness thing, I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of scaling benefit as drunkenness increased. However, I see absolutely no point in using resistance for this - not only is it not as compatible with the new tiered system, it also didn't really create any strategy. 

A scaling chance for an extra attack ala some of the new racial demi abilities (taurian enrage) might be interesting. In return for willingly penalizing yourself with command denial and the chance of interrupting both offense and defense, you get a chance to do more damage, or heal for more, when your commands actually go through? Could even rework the beers for it - amber beer might have a 5% to proc a 30% extra heal on a sip, with the chance scaling up as drunkenness increased. Dark beer could have a 5% chance to do extra damage or one affliction, scaling up as drunkenness increased. Dwarven drunkenness racial could double that chance, both at the base level, and as it scales, making it drastically more likely to proc for a dwarf than for other races, etc.

I mean, I guess resistances and damage buffs are fairly nice, even if I never really felt they were worth the command denial in a real PVP engagement, but since the new tiered system with its new caps doesn't seem very compatible with it, I don't see why we can't push to have them changed to more interesting effects.

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    I need the Official Word - do magic damage runes not work anymore? I wanna make sure it doesn't work and the replacement enhancement runes -do- work before I go trade them in.

Same question re: resistance runes and iron will runes.
  • Well, I can't give you an official word, but I can tell you that when I remove/put on my old magic damage rune, it doesn't impact my damage at all. When I attached my divinus damage rune, my damage increased at the amount expected. I bought the new damage rune before it was activated, and as a result couldn't attach it. Once they activated it, I received a message from Roark, and it was possible to attach it at that point.
    K, that's good to hear - now do these only go on clothes, armor, jewelry, or what? Or do enhancements only go on weapons, etc.
  • Shuyin said:
    K, that's good to hear - now do these only go on clothes, armor, jewelry, or what? Or do enhancements only go on weapons, etc.
    My understanding is that damage enhancement runes can only go on weapons, and the weapon must be wielded to get the bonus... According to the info on the artifact cart, regeneration runes must be attached to worn jewelry, and resistance runes must be attached to worn clothing or armour.
  • edited June 2015
    I put my damage enhancement runes are on jewelry.

My resistance ones are also on jewelry.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    My damage enhancement is on my instrument, and resistance is on a cloak.

Are the new runes available to buy in game yet? Or only via the website? I'd like to spend the credits I got back from my now obsolete runes on them.

• They are in the artifact shop in game.

• Once I turn in the old obsolete runes, will my jewlery item decay?
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    There a special syntax for trading in the obsolete stuff? Or the usual artifact blah treadein?
  • Usual tradein, it has the full value.

am I correct that there will be no replacement for the max health/mana/ego artifacts?
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Daganev said:
    Usual tradein, it has the full value.

am I correct that there will be no replacement for the max health/mana/ego artifacts?
    You're wrong. They will be coming in with the racial overhaul though, I believe.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Yeah, see, are enhancement runes meant for weapons only or is it okay to place in armor or jewelry. Cause if so, we got a bug here.

Clarify please!
    Shuyin said:
    Yeah, see, are enhancement runes meant for weapons only or is it okay to place in armor or jewelry. Cause if so, we got a bug here. Clarify please!
    I'm assuming it got changed because it was pointed out that people with multiple weapons (Most notably - mages/druids) and classflexers will likely end up having to juggle weapons around like crazy. There was even a comment about how they were considering allowing weapons to just be held in inventory for enhance runes to work.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    How about official word from the admin that settles it once and for all please.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Synkarin said:
    How about official word from the admin that settles it once and for all please.

Yes, would be great to hear the decision about this... because I would have preferred to put my rune on something other than my weapon.
  • I ended up placing a damage enhancement rune on clothing and the effects work, but the rune itself doesn't show on the probed description of the piece of clothing.

I bugged this and was classified, so any clarification would be much appreciated, @Baelor or @Ieptix. Some of us may or may not need these enhancement runes detached if they weren't meant to be on clothing.

Besides that, go artie boxers, go.
  • I didn't want to reply at this point as any post would really be a non-answer, but at the same time I didn't want you to feel like this was going unanswered and/or ignored.

There has been some discussion internally as to certain runes and extending the options for what they can be attached to. This was mostly focused around damage enhancement runes, as to avoid the issues that could occur through forcing any bonuses from them to a single weapon.

I'm not 100% on the exact specifics of the decision, or if there's any underlying bugs in the code. I've already messaged Roark to get some clarification for you all, either relaying his reply or him posting here directly. On that note when I know, you'll know.

Apologies I can't give you anything more solid than that at this point, but this is being addressed.
    Basically one decision encourages more pliers and the other doesn't.

Help a cheapskate brother out.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited June 2015
    So here's another big issue. Split damage types are now required to get twice the credits for the same buff that single type damagers need. I need 600 for the same 9% buff that a mage is paying 300 credits for. This has been an issue since day 1 due to how curios and tattoos work, but was significantly softened because the magic damage runes were universal 15% and accounted for the largest buff to damage. Now you've converted them to damage type specific and really boned us that where already boned enough. If I want to buff nightkiss and nightgaze fully, I need 1200 credits, vs a mage who wants to buff the same 2 attacks for 600 credits. An enormous 600 credit disparity between what I need vs what a mage needs.

This was the single biggest complaint about warrior artifacts, that the investment was unfairly slanted towards casters and that a warrior, for equal investment, got far less bang for their buck. It feel like you took the feedback, reversed it, and just made it suck for casters with split damage typing too. 

I really don't think it's fair to ask twice the investment from a Shadowdancer that you do from a Geomancer for the same benefit, in the same overhaul where we are stating we want to equalize things to remove outliers. I feel like twice the credit investment for damage buffs is a significant outlier. 

I feel like I'm sending complaints out into the void at this point. Not getting a lot of feedback and I like to think I'm being thoughtful and specific enough for them to be valid. 
  • I feel this pain, even as a mage, actually. Whereas before my magic damage rune gave me a flat buff to all my damage regardless of the type, now I need to shell out more to cover the fire damage I inherently do, the asphyx and psychic damage I sometimes do, and the little blunt damage my meld does.

What's the peoples'/admins' opinion on possibly taking these separated runes and just converting them to Universal types? Mind, doing so would multiply the costs up by x-variable, but I feel this might be a consideration in light of all of this split damage typing we're finding.
    Viynain said:
    I feel this pain, even as a mage, actually. Whereas before my magic damage rune gave me a flat buff to all my damage regardless of the type, now I need to shell out more to cover the fire damage I inherently do, the asphyx and psychic damage I sometimes do, and the little blunt damage my meld does.

What's the peoples'/admins' opinion on possibly taking these separated runes and just converting them to Universal types? Mind, doing so would multiply the costs up by x-variable, but I feel this might be a consideration in light of all of this split damage typing we're finding.
    Yeah, I'm really not quite certain why the magic damage rune wasn't simply changed to give 3/13 to universal damage boost? I mean if we're getting rid of source, it'd affect warriors and monks that deal physical damage too, but there are cutting and blunt damage runes anyway which will be boosting them as well? In the end, the artifact itself would be taking a nerf from 15% to 9% boost but at the same time it would be a bit more universal.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited June 2015
    Having them split up into so many runes is just inconvenient and frustrating to me, as a user.  Enough that I still haven't gotten around to actually buying a single one of them, and that's with having a lot of discretionary credits available and already owning pliers so I can move them around (unlike many of your other players).

It was equitable and fair to have everyone buy the same runes, and receive the same benefits for said runes (except warriors, which was the cause of a great deal of complaints).  It's been changed to be less equitable for everyone else now, as well, when it would've been preferable (and more fair) to make things more standardized across the board.

Edit: And that's kind of sad, because I was really excited about investing in the new system... but it's been set up in such a way that it just discourages me from even bothering.
  • On an extreme end, Astrologists who want to use Sun rays optimally would have a to buy a ton more different damage type runes. They were already pretty niche, but this is an extra annoyance.
    Omnirunes, do it.
  • Rivius said:
    Roark said:

Tridemon said:
    Hmm. Questions about these new resistance runes- first off, do two runes of the same type stack- If I grabbed 3 of the superior fire runes, would I be able to get 9/13 resistance- and do they apply returning and non-decay to armor that they're attached to, since it looks like they can be attached to armor?
    Runes ought not stack like that. They should apply returning and non-decay.
    Does this mean that such armour will also always be repairable to 100%? Are there any unexpected behaviours with masterplate that may revert to regular plate when flexing out of forging?
    I'm not sure what that refers to, but I can say that armour and forging ought not to have changed with this. So whatever it did previously it should continue doing.
  • Elanorwen said:
    I'm also getting a 1/10 lucidian racial ego regen somehow.... which I don't recall in the racial stats... I'm also on cloudy terrain and definitely not getting the 1/10 lucidian health/mana racial. Perhaps something got weird there... or are racial regens coded in at all yet?
    Please message me in-game the exact line you see on BODYSCAN for the ego regen. Then I can look into it. Note that the health/mana for lucidians is outdoors in daytime. If it's night then that explains why you are not seeing those.
  • Regarding dwarves... I removed that alcohol thing when I did the new racial stuff, but I forgot to backport it into buffs/debuffs when we released without the new racial stuff. I'll restore that soon.
  • Regen runes are for worn jewelry. Damage resistance runes for worn clothing. Damage enhancement runes are for wielded weapons, including staves, swords, etc. They can also go on worn clothing since some players switch around weapons.