Newbie Difficulties/Troubles/Concerns

Comments

• Yeah, I ran a friend through the intro recently, and was a bit dismayed at the 'city of evil' summary, too. I don't actually think of us as stereotypical evil. We don't torture people because we enjoy their suffering, we torture people because our ideology says that only through pain can we seek purpose and completion. (Pun intended.) 
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I think unholy or demonic is a better descriptor than evil. We consider our ways to be right, not evil.

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Unholy works!

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Most of the intro descriptors are poor, iirc. 
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Most of the intro is poor.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • I think Dark Forest is fine for Glomdoring. Thats probably what contrasted me the most. Glomdoring has Zombies, we kill babies, and maim eachother. We find our own beauty in the Wyrd, and I'd object all day to calling it an "Evil" Forest. And I feel like it'd be the same for Magnagora - They justify everything about them through whatever ideology they have. I guess I just like to think Lusternia doesn't specifically have a "Wrong" or an "Evil" side. 
  • Yeah, I'm not a fan of the new tutorial. I just wish you could pre-register with your email and if it matches already established characters, you don't have to do it. :D
  • Calling any org good or evil is going to get into ideological issues. 
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • On phone so brief: intro bad, almost made me quit, drives away players, should be optional. Less focus on finks evil and gnomes good, celest good, magnagora bad, and other simplistic bias. Biggest problem with bringing in novices. Optional intro!
    The fink love is spreading...

• As someone who has played extensively in Achaea's Mhaldor, I can't take Magnagora seriously as a "city of Evil". Hardcore pffftttt. Mhaldor is true Evil.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    The beauty of Lusternia is that it's all shades of gray. Every org has good and bad in it.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    edited December 2015
    Magnagora would vehemently deny that they are an evil city, which is what's awesome about all the cities/forests. Each lives in its own delusion that its way is right and the only way.

EDIT: I know the difference between its and it's... I swear.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Actually, if you look at it from a completely OOC point of view, Magnagora isn't an evil city at all. In fact, you could argue that it's more "Good" than Celest -- Magnagora was a victim of the Taint, it embraced the afflicted races when the other organizations abandoned them due to fear and prejudice.

Of course, they have their fair share of shady shenanigans, but who doesn't?

Uh, Mag mind-controls the homeless into working in a sweat shop. They experiment on zoo animals. Citizens enjoy making furniture out of merians. Pretty sure that's all evil from an OOC perspective.

• Eodh said:
    Actually, if you look at it from a completely OOC point of view, Magnagora isn't an evil city at all. In fact, you could argue that it's more "Good" than Celest -- Magnagora was a victim of the Taint, it embraced the afflicted races when the other organizations abandoned them due to fear and prejudice.

Of course, they have their fair share of shady shenanigans, but who doesn't?
    Of course they embraced the afflicted races. How else are ya gonna get access to cheap labour? :-B
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Magnagora gives those who can't or won't work a home, they just have to be prodded into it.

Magnagora uses the brains of those animals to generate a shield to protect every single citizen of Magnagora from attack.

Merians literally caused half of the apocalyptic events on Lusternia and we believe they should go extinct because their continued existance is going to kill us all.

All of this stuff is the right thing to do.
  • Qistrel said:
    Uh, Mag mind-controls the homeless into working in a sweat shop. They experiment on zoo animals. Citizens enjoy making furniture out of merians. Pretty sure that's all evil from an OOC perspective.
    ^ This.

Plus, for any 'newcomers' it's just to give them a general idea of each orgs alignment, so they know what kind of RP they'll be getting themselves into.

It's also not really that big of a deal.

• Qistrel said:
    At some point you have to accept that the beggars are entirely aware of what the soup entails. It's not exactly secret. It's not a nice choice, but it is a choice that they're making.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Kalnid said:

Qistrel said:
    At some point you have to accept that the beggars are entirely aware of what the soup entails. It's not exactly secret. It's not a nice choice, but it is a choice that they're making.
    If that was the case, why would they not just go straight there instead of begging for coins / food?
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Because they get a hot bowl of soup out of it.  ;;)

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• Change to hot pho plz
  • How relevant is the collegium Healing task, post-overhaul?

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Riluna said:
    How relevant is the collegium Healing task, post-overhaul?
    WHich collegium?
  • In Serenwilde we still give calamus for slickness, chervil for bleeding, pennyroyal for stupidity, etc.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Penny royal cures something?
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• pennroyal used to take care of "mind" cures. Stupidity, agoraphobia, and all that. I'm not up and up with what the overhaul has turned things into.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    The website helpfiles could use some updating. Confuses the nubs to read about a race and find out the website is wrong.
  • Celina said:
    The website helpfiles could use some updating. Confuses the nubs to read about a race and find out the website is wrong.
    I'm working on updating them, but they all have to be reformatted by hand so its not something I plan to be able to do in a day.

• Celina said:

So how long were you confused?