Competitions (bashing, influencing, questing, etc.)

Comments

• That'll be winning the Death ascension challenge.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Yeah, cause that's not hard to win or anything. :P

• Oh, don't listen to them. The vast majority of them did not walk uphill both ways in the snow.

I remember when Aesyra was grinding to Demigod and was bashing everything from spectres to Astral, and would bash out everything in the game in one run. *wave cane* No fancy shmancy XP buffs, damage types, weaknesses, resistances, Icewynd, old astral mobs with lower levels, and so on and so forth.
    edited February 2013
    Wasn't the XP to get from Demigod to Titan doubled shortly afterwards?

But, yeah, if I can get Demigod then it can't be hard.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    It was increased. He is also leaving out the facts that while old Astral mobs were a lower level, that simply meant you could stand there and permalink them. With no insanity (did not exist then) while also dropping significant piles of gold. Basically, think kepheran hives where they walk obligingly over to you in near-infinite quantities while you can turn just set your machine to bash while you read a book.

They were probably a bit stronger than kephs too. I kind of miss old-astral.
  • Xenthos said:

It was increased. He is also leaving out the facts that while old Astral mobs were a lower level, that simply meant you could stand there and permalink them. With no insanity (did not exist then) while also dropping significant piles of gold. Basically, think kepheran hives where they walk obligingly over to you in near-infinite quantities while you can turn just set your machine to bash while you read a book.

They were probably a bit stronger than kephs too. I kind of miss old-astral.

Think they were actually a bit below Kephs. These were also the days when nodes were near perma-drained, and Murphy considered it his righteous duty to hunt anyone who drained nodes, and jumping on Astral wasn't an occasional thing but expected.

Oh, the mists of nostalgia.
  • Shuyin said:
    The week long xp contests are a sucker's competition. Why work 1 week for 100 credits when you can work 3 days for 500 credits or 1 hour for 2000 credits, heh.
    These competitions don't coincide, so you can easily participate in all of them. 100cr may seem like nothing to established players who are decked out in arties and omnitrans, but to a newish player who is still trying to find ways to generate lessons it is a godsend.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Eventru said:
    It was increased. He is also leaving out the facts that while old Astral mobs were a lower level, that simply meant you could stand there and permalink them. With no insanity (did not exist then) while also dropping significant piles of gold. Basically, think kepheran hives where they walk obligingly over to you in near-infinite quantities while you can turn just set your machine to bash while you read a book. They were probably a bit stronger than kephs too. I kind of miss old-astral.
    Think they were actually a bit below Kephs. These were also the days when nodes were near perma-drained, and Murphy considered it his righteous duty to hunt anyone who drained nodes, and jumping on Astral wasn't an occasional thing but expected. Oh, the mists of nostalgia.

Good lord, that was even before I started playing. You make me feel young again. Astral is actually an amazing xp faucet still that no one exploits. If you can get a good, large group on astral it's amazing. It's dangerous, and people are wusses, plus with the population so stretched out it's hard to find groups these days, but large group astral bashing put icewynd, muud, and everything else to shame.

Shikha said:

Shuyin said:
    The week long xp contests are a sucker's competition. Why work 1 week for 100 credits when you can work 3 days for 500 credits or 1 hour for 2000 credits, heh.
    These competitions don't coincide, so you can easily participate in all of them. 100cr may seem like nothing to established players who are decked out in arties and omnitrans, but to a newish player who is still trying to find ways to generate lessons it is a godsend.

I think the point is the people who would get the most out of 100 credits aren't going to win either. As has been said, pay for perks style game.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited February 2013
    I've actually had large astral hunts that beat out aetherhunts in terms of XP per time spent.

That said, while some people will always have an advantage during these competitions, the people with the biggest advantage are those with the most free time and willing to put in the extra elbow grease. I guarantee you. 

You can definitely beat out the titans and demigod, though it's just a question of how worth the effort is.
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    Rivius said:
    I've actually had large astral hunts that beat out aetherhunts in terms of XP per time spent.

This is how I got demigod - chained to Astral by Shuyin, Sidd, Viynain and a whole pile of others. I died a lot, but it was still way faster than aetherhunting.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Me too! Even though I'm labeled an aetherspace demi, I bashed the vast, vast majority of the way on astral with Mag and the proverbial 'xp faucet.'
    I cheated.

But I've more than made up for it since then.
  • Speaking of Aetherhunts. I don't think I've seen or heard of a single one going on. Okay, I take that back, I've heard of one... when Vadi extended an invitation to Gaudiguch recently right as I was leaving. Do they still happen?
    I learnt aethercraft, then, never saw any aetherhunts. (Might just be my time zone).

So I ikon-infuenced most of titan to demigod in one day. Ikons need nerfing. :P

• KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Qistrel said:
    I learnt aethercraft, then, never saw any aetherhunts. (Might just be my time zone).

The only nerf they really need is for the timer to keep ticking while you are logged out.  Having the timer freeze when you log out is a little OTT
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
    edited February 2013
    That's not really an issue IMO. I did 18 hours straight for demigod. It's the legendary ones being 200% that's ridiculous, considering how many I've been able to get my hands on. It should be like...half that. (I don't do anything but influence, this isn't me going 'the influencers get it too easy'. I'm one of them.)

• KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited February 2013
    Qistrel said:
    That's not really an issue IMO. I did 18 hours straight for demigod. It's the legendary ones being 200% that's ridiculous, considering how many I've been able to get my hands on. It should be like...half that. (I don't do anything but influence, this isn't me going 'the influencers get it too easy'. I'm one of them.)

I don't know how you are getting them so easily, I have got two legendary ikons since they first came out - one from the first package of ikons I got, one from the czigany wayfaire.  That shows me at least, considering the sheer number of ikons I have these days, how low a chance there is of getting them.

I have also seen people for some time now advertising almost hourly on the market channel seeking legendary ikons without success.

Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Celina said:
    I think the point is the people who would get the most out of 100 credits aren't going to win either. As has been said, pay for perks style game.
    Ilthilior placed in two and he isn't an arti-whore. Told me he wanted to use the credits for lessons in resilience so we could have nicer spars in the arena.
  • Qistrel said:

Icewynd, I think, is the place that needs nerfing if we want to talk about nerfing experience gain.

If you keep everything in the same room so you can kill everything by yourself, and hog the larvae plus stay on top of their respawn timer, I don't think there's anything in the game that quite compares to the ease of experience, karma, and essence gain.  A full run of 4 larvae is probably worth between 500-1000% karma, takes me less than two hours to hunt out, and is worth close to two million essence from memory when offered.  I was able to keep my karma easily at 100% all the time with an absurd number of karma blessings.

I did titan to demigod in a little under 11 complete larvae with only golden tonic and an achievement bonus (I think it took less than 12 hours).

It is easier than hunting say Mt. Dio, Astral, Catacombs of the Dead, the Waste Facility, or Muud simply because nothing is aggressive on the surface of the Iceburn Plains.  You can control how many monsters attack you at any time.  And if you get overwhelmed, you can always move out of the room without any repercussions as long as there isn't a mound.  Half of the time, you can fly as a panic button (if there isn't a hurricane or a blizzard).

Shikha said:
    Celina said:
    Ilthilior placed in two and he isn't an arti-whore. Told me he wanted to use the credits for lessons in resilience so we could have nicer spars in the arena.
    I placed in two contests as well and I had few artifacts.  I feel that the people that are likely to win contests are just the people that have spent more time on the contest.

While I didn't win any of the contests, I was certainly appreciative of the credits that I did win.  Even on the questing contest, I placed rather highly (5th I believe?) from just repeating a single quest chain over and over for 500 points a step, and 50,000 points a whole completion.

Perhaps a new person isn't going to win the 100 credit prize, but if you wanted to win some credits, time and dedication is what's going to let you do well on contests.  Xena and Inagin more than doubled my score in less than a quarter of the time, but that's purely because of the knowledge they had from playing so long, and knowing quests.  That's perfectly fine, and to expect winning a weekly contest when you've only been playing for a short while is a bit unreasonable.
  • Yeah, Icewynd is lightyears above 'regular' hunting grounds. +9001
    If it's broken, break it some more.
    I thought that was the point of Icewynd.

• Icewynd's experience gain may be too easy, is what the above posters are trying to say. Much less effort as compared to equivalent areas. Possibly.

It's important to note, though, that both Valen and Alacardael are from gaudi, who are in the best position besides divinus users to benefit from Icewynd's larvae. They'll definitely find larvae very quick to bash through. I don't clear larvae quite as fast, but I have to admit it's still much easier and more lucrative than other areas.

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Valen's biggest point is the monopoly you can hold on Icewynd simply by controlling the spawns. Knowing the timers and what not.

Personally 30 mins before I know the Larva are up, I will run clean across Icewynd and lock out all 30 Icedigger mounds so I can traverse the planes and pick up the Larva

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• I honestly wouldn't have minded if the Icewynd spawn was toned down in experience but raised in frequency so that a single person can't monopolize the place.
    Valen said:
    I honestly wouldn't have minded if the Icewynd spawn was toned down in experience but raised in frequency so that a single person can't monopolize the place.
    The biggest xp problem in my mind is the disproportionate value of fiends. They're far too easy to kill and worth more than Devils.

And before someone throws in the logic of "There's less of them" they're worth more than Ice Skulls too, 

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Morkarion said:

Valen said:

I honestly wouldn't have minded if the Icewynd spawn was toned down in experience but raised in frequency so that a single person can't monopolize the place.

The biggest xp problem in my mind is the disproportionate value of fiends. They're far too easy to kill and worth more than Devils.

And before someone throws in the logic of "There's less of them" they're worth more than Ice Skulls too, 

XP isn't set manually, rather derived by a function that uses its level and maximum health to determine their XP. So I'm skeptical they're disproportionately worthwhile, unless they just have laughable attacks or something.
    All ice creatures have laughable attacks, because only one ever attacks at a time.
  • Xenthos said:

All ice creatures have laughable attacks, because only one ever attacks at a time.

Maybe they should be berserk and track. Though that would make them essentially impossible to bash.
    Eventru said:
    Valen said:

XP isn't set manually, rather derived by a function that uses its level and maximum health to determine their XP. So I'm skeptical they're disproportionately worthwhile, unless they just have laughable attacks or something.
    Then something's wrong where Fiends are far easier to kill than Ice Devils but are worth more.

And you can bash them out from about level 70 if you're careful, the damage is laughable. Zombies hit harder and are worth less.

• Morkarion said:

Eventru said:

Morkarion said:

Valen said:

Then something's wrong where Fiends are far easier to kill than Ice Devils but are worth more.

And you can bash them out from about level 70 if you're careful, the damage is laughable. Zombies hit harder and are worth less.

Well I'll take a look when I get home to make sure everything is all copacetic. I know at one point they were worth double XP, maybe fiends were just missed when we stripped them down. Will have to see.