Ascension Rules

1235»

Comments

• Gaudiguch would be happy to allow usage of the arena... now to find two really powerful combatants to swear fealty to me and take me to the top!
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Tarkenton's website is pretty solid, I like that one too.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    The nice thing is, it does allow for all sorts of brackets to be created.  So you can still run the double elimination if that's the format you want to have.

Also, Shuyin, you need to change your team name around.  As is, your acronym is MACOS, and there's so much potential for either TACOS or MACHO.  Just saying.
  • The Winged Elysian Renegades of Klangratch (T.W.E.R.K.) has a nice ring to it...
    Will you still love me when I am no longer young and fergalicious?
  • Nocht said:
    Seal of War

So let's preface this by saying: Don't panic! This is just a tentative layout for War this year. We won't lie, War is usually the most dreaded of events from our standpoint, and so we're hoping to head some of that off by getting your input on the setup and eliminating any surprises as to how it'll be managed. So let's jump right into our ideas:

1. Double elimination format - This means if your team loses two matches, you're out. Losing once will put you in a "loser's" bracket where you can still fight to stay in it.
    2. Making use of all arenas - This will require some help from the communes and cities, but we've done it before without too much trouble. To save time we would have matches running in as many arenas as possible which would of course require some temporary enemy changes depending on the teams and where they fight.
    3. Time limits - War matches can easily turn into two teams staring each other down for long periods of time. To try and curb this we're thinking of having a time limit (30 minutes?) until we start dropping in a nasty mob to get the teams moving. We would probably create one to be as unbiased with regards to class as possible.
    4. Team Registration - Letting us know your teams ahead of time would certainly lighten the load on our end as we could plan ahead for how many teams we'll be dealing with. You could even give your team a name if you want!
    5. Team matching - teams would face off 1 on 1 after being randomly picked.
    Let us know what you think! Any complaints/concerns/rants about this layout? Any questions about something I may not have even covered? We're definitely open to doing things a little differently this year.
    In terms of the rules, I don't mind that. Registration and time limits are great. I just think the first bit and creating a bracket system at all for War complicates it more than what has happened in the past years.

Just hold four Wargames one after another. The winners of each of the four progress to the semifinals where they'd pair off. The winners progress to the finals while the losers duke it out in another arena for 3rd and 4th place respectively.

People would not only have more chances to qualify (four games and all), but it altogether saves the administration the headache of keeping track how many times a particular team has already lost.
  • NochtNocht Glomdoring
    People would not only have more chances to qualify (four games and all), but it altogether saves the administration the headache of keeping track how many times a particular team has already lost.

As I recall, a complaint in the past has been about teams helping each other rather than fighting it out. This tends to impossible to oversee with 10 teams going at it. Is this not a big concern this year for anyone?
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Trust me, it'll become a huge issue during the event if it happens. ;)
    Which is why we should just try the 1v1 teams format and borrow all the arenas.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    A series of 1v1's in a tournament bracket with random draws for the first round, and a repechage so that you have to lose at least two matches to be out of the contest seems to be the fairest and non meta way around the whole thing.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• If I recall correctly, declarations of intent usually happened before fights happened and people who got involved in a fight between two people just got automatically disqualified that round. Scents and farscouts abound enough to know when a fight breaks out between two teams, so I'd say the onus is on the players to make sure they don't interfere on another pair.
  • Harmony:

I am not sure how the abilities actually work, but it would seem fair to disable the ability to influence undead.

I assume because it is an guild skill ability, that being able to influence animals will be turned off?
  • Gwalchmai said:
    Harmony:

I am not sure how the abilities actually work, but it would seem fair to disable the ability to influence undead.

I assume because it is an guild skill ability, that being able to influence animals will be turned off?
    There are no plans to do either.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited February 2013

I like the proposed set up, except for the random aggro mob thing. Melds tend to be the only reason teams get stuck in standoff mode, so just disable them at the 30 minute mark. Give a warning that they need to disable them and DQ if/when they don't. Random pissed off hamster just turns into which team was unlucky enough to attract it, even if it was the more aggressive team. Also kind of favors the tankier fighters which won't necessarily win the fight due to tankyness alone. Suddenly it becomes more important when a hamster is eating your face.

edit: Tl;dr: I don't want 2 warriors and a tk mage default winning at 30 minutes to a runist druid, bard, and monk just because team A is tankier.

edit2: that and it may turn into team A knowing they can't beat team B so they just turtle and wait for chompy the hamster. At least then it's 50/50!

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

Oh and as far as the "helping" thing goes, I suspect people will probably say it's a non issue until it is an issue. Which is what usually happens. Teams have been disqualified when two other teams are fighting, and one of them unwittingly wanders into a trap or demesne. It's a pain to unenemy everyone and hope you have enough warning to enemy them again before they rush into your room.

Plus  org allegiences always come in to play. Or as I call it "strategic waiting for Celest to fight Seren."

Bump, what was decided on Harmony, since that's tomorrow?
  • edited February 2013
    Harmony and Death will both be Prime only.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Deleting a post that ninja's you is incredibly rude. :(

PS: Death also will be Prime Only.