Metal Commodities

Okay, so another brain pick I got here. I know there is a way to go about requesting commodities and usually it is denied. I have no doubt that requesting what I want right now would be denied as well so I want to discuss it!

So, I am brain storming this year's beauty submission and I come up with a nice idea but the commodities needed for the look are not currently available. Mainly being, copper, bronze and brass. I know this is a game and logic of the real world should not always be compared but the bronze age came before the iron age. We have iron so why not bronze?!! The copper comes hand n' hand with brass, cannot have brass without copper it is an alloy like steel. (On this note lead and tin should be looked into as well.)

With the steam punk feel that seems like it has been being pushed more and more in recent years, I do not understand why these elements have not become available! The lamp posts in Mag are glass and iron, I guess it works but it could be so much better! What would it take to get these added into the game? What is the likelihood it'd even be considered? =\ and if not why?

Anyhow, discuss!

The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

Comments

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    You can usually substitute other metals for ones that do not exist. I had four armour designs made of bronze submitted and approved, and I did it using primarily iron as the bronze substitute.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.

• Everiine said:
    You can usually substitute other metals for ones that do not exist. I had four armour designs made of bronze submitted and approved, and I did it using primarily iron as the bronze substitute.
    thing is, iron  is nothing like bronze. Iron is a whole different color and reacts differently to the environment. for design purposes trying to get into the steam punk theme of especially Magnagora, just really cannot get into with what is available, Iron is looked into more as industrial than steam punk.
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I think you misunderstood - You can totally design with brass, bronze and copper, however in your commodities you just use iron to represent them. We do so many other amazing magical things, surely it's not too much of a stretch to think you are able to do some fantastical metallurgy with the iron to form it into the copper alloys you want!

• edited February 2013
    lusty totally makes sense -_-

Edit: any way either of you could post one of these designs for me?

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    It should probably just be remade into a generic 'non-precious metal' commodity you gain instead of Iron. Just as many of the food/random commodities could stand being made more generic.
    It's worked this well this way for years--why complicate things?
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    It has been complicated for years, why not simplify things? Inertia is a bad reason to keep things nonsensical or vague. 
  • Incidentally, why do we have 'fish' and 'poultry' commodities, and then 'meat'? I feel like a lot of the commodity 'bloat' that is seen as a problem comes from unused (and unnecessary) commodities that exist.
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • it could be simplified for sure if that were the way they would want to go. meat could cover all meat type, metal could cover all metal as well as gems all  gem types. this would cut tons of commodities if this were a rout admin would want to take. I dunno, with my mind here I just kinda jumped on, why  don't we have these but we have these!? so obvious solution is to add more ya know >.>

• KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Arimisia said:

Edit: any way either of you could post one of these designs for me?
    This one has copper in it.

You carefully study a forging design.
    Item: Mace  Type: Masterweapons  Org: Public
    Commodities: silver 120 redtint 30 iron 25 yellowtint 10 fireessence 10 firegem 5
    Mortal Reviews: Allowed
    IMPORTANT: The main noun MUST use one of these: MACE
    Appearance:
    a bulbous obesefessor mace
    Dropped:
    A rotund mace has been dropped here, emblazoned with flames.
    Examined:
    Designed by either a warped mind or an oddly creative one, this
    battle-ready mace is large and in charge. A long silver hilt,
    hexagonical in shape and ridged to provide a smooth grip, extends
    three-quarters of a metre from a spiked lower end to a bulbous head. Not
    much else could be said about this almost nondescript mace except the
    the shape of the business end; formed of copper, and shaped as a rotund
    obesefessor enwreathed in flames. The face of the astral monstrosity is
    grotesque in its detail, sneering silently at the viewer over
    wire-framed spectacles as it clasps a large, ironbound book before it,
    trying to share the contents. Tinted red and yellow as if truly aflame,
    the colours contrast harshly with the verdigris of the copper giving
    this mace an upsetting appearance. Set around the circumference of the
    head is a circle of firegems, infused with essence and giving off a
    ruddy glow into the surrounding area.

As was stated before, the general rule seems to be, for metals that do not exist as commodities, you can use iron as a substitute. I think I've seen copper, brass, electrum, voidcopper, and palladium integrated in designs through this substitution.
    Arimisia said:
    it could be simplified for sure if that were the way they would want to go. meat could cover all meat type, metal could cover all metal as well as gems all  gem types. this would cut tons of commodities if this were a rout admin would want to take. I dunno, with my mind here I just kinda jumped on, why  don't we have these but we have these!? so obvious solution is to add more ya know >.>
    I think we have a good commodity variety, and it lends to unique commodity quests and distinct village productions. Of course creating a commodity for every material or ingredient would get unruly! I think it's great that they allow for some leeway with commodities so as to not stifle creativity.

Design: ancient bronze fieldplate of the Jaguar

Comms: iron 200 steel 40 leather 40 cloth 20 deer 10

Dropped: an ancient suit of bronze armour lies here, gathering dust.

Examined:

This suit of armour appears to be crafted entirely out of tanned leather; however, closer examination reveals that the plates themselves are hammered out of bronze and only faced with leather. Protecting the torso is a two-piece plate cuirass laced together at the shoulders and secured at the sides with thick leather straps. Stag antlers have been bent and twisted into a roughly circular ceremonial war frame riveted to the back of the cuirass with brass rivets. Pauldrons etched with crescent moons are hinged to the cuirass by a leather strap, a set of spaulders attached to each one. Vambraces decorated with flowing tribal designs wrap snuggly around the wearer's arms while the legs are protected by matching tassets and greaves. Vines and a large tree are carved into the front of the cuirass, elegantly flowing and coiling around the plate. Small steel rings have been looped together into a skirt that wraps around the legs, reaching down to the knees. Beneath the armour is a layer of supple, aged cloth to keep the wearer comfortable. The armour is well-worn and scuffed from years of exposure to the elements, yet still remains an example of superior craftsmanship.

Design: an ancient bronze helm of the Jaguar

Comms: iron 60 leather 13 beryl 5 opal 5 cloth 5

Dropped: an ancient bronze great helm lies here, gathering dust.

Examined:

This ancient bronze helm is a perfect cast of a jaguar head. Every curve and crevice of the head has been painstakingly moulded, giving the helm an uncanny lifelike quality. The jaws of the jaguar have been stretched wide open, allowing a clear field of vision, and the presence of sharpened bronze teeth drilled into the jaws adds a certain fierceness to the design. A trio of overlapping lames protect the wearer's neck, each moulded from leather, and long cords of beaded charms dangle down on all sides of the helm. A layer of soft cloth lines the inside of the helm, proving extra protection and comfort to the wearer.

• Aetolia gets by with something like 10 real commodities: Wood, Steel, Iron, Rope, Cloth, Obsidian, Gold, Silver, Elemental Ash, Elemental Ice. (I may be missing a few)

All your various gems, metals, stones, cloth types, and foods are represented by pseudo-commodities that are purchasable in villages for a set price, rather than generated by territory. Basically, there is a small minimum "real" commodity cost, plus whatever pseudo-commodities you wish to use. This 1) Simplifies commodity shops, 2) Allows for greater flexibility in crafting materials, 3) Standardizes item prices, and 4) Acts as a gold sink.
  • Urfion said:
    Aetolia gets by with something like 10 real commodities: Wood, Steel, Iron, Rope, Cloth, Obsidian, Gold, Silver, Elemental Ash, Elemental Ice. (I may be missing a few)

All your various gems, metals, stones, cloth types, and foods are represented by pseudo-commodities that are purchasable in villages for a set price, rather than generated by territory. Basically, there is a small minimum "real" commodity cost, plus whatever pseudo-commodities you wish to use. This 1) Simplifies commodity shops, 2) Allows for greater flexibility in crafting materials, 3) Standardizes item prices, and 4) Acts as a gold sink.
    Our commodity shops sell something fairly similar - wood, steel, iron, rope, cloth, gem, fish, meat, eggs, milk, grain, silver, platinum, gold, marble, coal, silk.

More or less, the standard goods. These can be applied in designs pretty broadly, ie we accept gold for any variety of gold (from the red gold of Angkrag to other stuff), though there may be policies on gold alloys, iron can be used for any generic metal not covered by a specific metal comm, meat covers all red meats, poultry all poultry, fish all fish, etc.

Beyond that, comms can be broken down further in some instances (gems can be cut into a multitude of gems, for example, ie ruby, sapphire, emerald, etc etc etc). This is done for a multitude of reasons, though among them is realism (and a long-standing design for the Institute).

Really, I don't think our commodity system is that complicated or overbearing - it enforces a bit of realism, but not to the point of a ridiculous flood of value. (Also, if we had four dozen different primary commodities, it would be a much larger gold sink than 10 basic commodities - because people would be obliged to purchase some of all, versus some of a few).

We're definitely not getting rid of commodities though, not at this point. They're way too ingrained in the village system, the commodity system, the craft system. Just isn't happening.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Hey, I believe I designed that mace :D<3

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Shaddus said:
    Hey, I believe I designed that mace :D<3

I suppose the "Designed by either a warped mind or an oddly creative one" should have been a giveaway. :)
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    You know you love me.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.