General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• Man, you have awesome siblings to clean up your stuff for you. I wish mine did that!
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • Talan said:

Man, you have awesome siblings to clean up your stuff for you. I wish mine did that!

True, haha! But I suspect a guilty conscience led to this. ;) I only found out it happened when I asked, "Guys, does anyone know why there is dried goo on my 3DS...?" :D
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Eritheyl said:
    When people think it's acceptable to throw out "you should kill yourself" in harassing messages, I get more than a little disgruntled. That's just not okay.
    I hope this isn't an ingame thing, not that it would make it any better or worse. Nobody should ever be encouraged to give up their life.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Shaddus said:
    Eritheyl said:
    When people think it's acceptable to throw out "you should kill yourself" in harassing messages, I get more than a little disgruntled. That's just not okay.
    I hope this isn't an ingame thing, not that it would make it any better or worse. Nobody should ever be encouraged to give up their life.
    Messages over the forums, actually.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Eritheyl said:
    Shaddus said:
    Eritheyl said:
    Yeah, that's just as bad, if not worse.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • Kethaera said:
    Eritheyl said:
    Shaddus said:
    Eritheyl said:
    Yeah, that's just as bad, if not worse.
    Wasn't marcella already shrubbed for that?
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Tylwyth said:

Wasn't <someone> already shrubbed for that?
    Yo. If you don't know who Eritheyl is talking about, there is absolutely no reason to be spreading rumors about anyone, for past or present circumstances. Even if you do know, pretty sure it's none of your business. 
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited July 2015
    No, that's literally why she's forum banned/was shrubbed , not a rumor.
  • edited July 2015
    It was 98F with 100% humidity here today.

NSFW: Language. It says the F word.

• Kethaera said:
    Tylwyth said:

Wasn't MARCELLA already shrubbed for that?
    Yo. If you don't know who Eritheyl is talking about, there is absolutely no reason to be spreading rumors about anyone, for past or present circumstances. Even if you do know, pretty sure it's none of your business. 
    FIxed that for you.
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Yeah, still don't care. Does it have anything to do with the present situation? Yes? Then it's none of your business, @Tylwyth, as it doesn't involve you. No? Then it's none of your business, @Tylwyth. Nor is it yours, @Enyalida

But please, someone explain to me why it's necessary to bring it up now, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER IT'S TRUE, when it has nothing to do with anything going on now? Actually- don't do that, because I don't care. That's my "general dissatisfaction" for the day. Shut the hell up about gossip.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    It's neither rumor or gossip, it was a public event and it does involve us: she was banned for a very public series of outbursts running the gamut of offensive and damaging statements including telling people to kill themselves. Anyone else doing the same thing should receive similar treatment :/ I think most people have more or less forgiven her or moved on and she's mellowed back out , but it's not something that should be whitewashed away.
  • Enyalida said:
    It's neither rumor or gossip, it was a public event and it does involve us: she was banned for a very public series of outbursts running the gamut of offensive and damaging statements including telling people to kill themselves. Anyone else doing the same thing should receive similar treatment :/ I think most people have more or less forgiven her or moved on and she's mellowed back out , but it's not something that should be whitewashed away.
    There is a cogent argument to be made for not glossing over someone's past, which makes your comment far less obnoxious than the one I originally commented on- a resuscitation of an accusation, in the context of a new situation potentially emotionally charged and prone to finger-pointing. 

No, I don't think we should simply forget about the terrible things people have done in their lives, that's not necessarily what forgiveness means- but neither does it mean dredging up the past at inappropriate times simply to stir up unwarranted anger. Telling someone to kill themselves is wrong. Bullying is wrong. Gossiping is wrong, and there is a point at which the latter becomes the former, even against someone who may be themselves a bully. You don't get to claim virtue by flinging mud at someone already covered in it: You're just being as much of an asshole as they might be or have been. 

That, and often cases of 'common knowledge' turn out to be false or more complicated upon inspection, so forgive me if I don't just take the word of someone who isn't in a position to know the truth and blatantly lied on the forums about something he was in a position to know the truth about on the same day he made the accusation. Credibility is a real thing.

Here's the thing... I've known people who were banned in aetolia for being detrimental to the community, or from the forums. But my saying who does not help anyone presently dealing with a case of harassment in any way, nor does it improve the community or encourage past offenders to be better people. It is disrespectful to the person making the current claim to bring it up, as it's a way of saying 'so what, this happens to everyone.'. It's antithetical to the claim that 'so-and-so has been forgiven and we've all moved on' to bring it up EVERY TIME a similar occurrence happens. And gossip itself, true or false, causes anger and hurt feelings. If you want to have a constructive conversation about it, then let's do that. This is not constructive.
  • Tremula said:
    ...so I still don't understand the hiring process in America [snip /].
    Take it from someone who worked illegally in Canada (several times, actually).  It's really easy: We just don't like foreign scum.  A pity, because Canadia is like one of the best American Territories ever invented; several provinces, all well administered and none terribly indebted.  Such is life.

Good luck, Sister! We love you.
    </RANT>
  • Lavinya said:
    My 8 year old son went missing. We thought he was playing next door, until the boy next door came to see if he wanted to play. Cue panic and searching. He's never run away before, didn't have an argument, doesn't usually wander.

Long story short, I found him as he was walking home, backpack on his back. Turns out he was 'bored' and decided to go on an 'adventure'. He knows in future all adventures need to be run past the boss (aka me). I am so glad he was fine, just went for a walk, but the little ratbag gave he a heartattack.

Kinda cute though was what he packed - he had clothes for a 3 day trip (no underwear), his money box, a favourite cuddle toy, and about a million books.
    Wife and I raise the youngest for exactly such emergencies.  It is better he ``decides'' he is independent now, than ``forced'' to do so later.  The world needs strong women and men, and the best way is to let them ``wander the woods'' and ``explore the creek'' now before they are 20-somethings.  I know your fright (our 4 y/o has roamed twice now), but I found the more freedom and encouragement to explore that I give him then the closer he remains.  If there is a park near your house (I live adjacent to one), have the Hubby get some tools and do a little ``remodelling'' with the younger kids.  Not only did I clean up the path down into a creek, but dug out dirt and installed cement-block stairs (pics forthcoming).  The toddler knows his boundaries because he himself helped establish them (and he knows the sound of my Grump and Gruff).

Yes, I understand your panic, because I've been there! In my experience (your mileage may vary), the way to correct this is to help them by giving them both 1) a large area to explore w/o supervision (unless your neighbor a peodophiliac), and 2) help them decide their own limits.  Mine is only 4, but I could (but I wouldn't!) let him roam around the neighborhood completely unsupervised for a full day and nothing would bad would happen; he knows no farther than the stairs he helped me install, no farther than the playground he likes, no farther than the bus stop his older brothers use for school (nothing interesting past there anyhoo), and no farther than the ``main road''.

Your kid's choices are awesome.  Totally awesome he liked books and knew he wasn't going away forever.  Literacy and pre-planning are the True Golden Ticket.  I hope you can encourage this for many years to come (just not with such panicky results! I've been there and thought I was going to die from a heart-attack!).  Toddler and I spend a lot of nights outdoors during our summer months (he's learning how to build a fire, and almost as well as me and at only 4!), and I encourage his going outside alone (but not ``too far''), so I hope he and you and hubby can encourage this independence.  Your boy doesn't live in GB, but AU; there are times and places where he might need to count on his own skills because there's no cellular service for emergencies.  Even if he never leaves the suburbs, I'm sure he will always thank his parents for such preparedness no matter what else happens in life (praise Shub-Rand!).

Next year wife and I are replacing our dishwashing machine.  Guess who's going to be handed tools and commanded ``Tear this apart and tell me how it works''.  He doesn't need to have a proper answer; he just needs to tear it apart.  The rest will come due to his own curiosity.  It was good for me when my father did it to me, and my wife finally agrees it is good for the youngest too (but too late for his older brothers, sadly).  Just remember my mantra: Power Tools require supervision until 12, manual tools require instruction at any age, and none under 5 get any tools.

Roaming? Yes, totally awesome once we're through it and come out the other side where everyone is safe and sound.  During the event? My heart jumped when you first described the situation.  Yes, yes, yes.  ``Wha? Huh? I thought he was at the playground?!?!?'' Good times.  Enjoy them while they last, for soon they will be surely teen-agers.
    </RANT>
  • Did *everyone* decide to change their profile pic while I was napping? Fuck you all.
    </RANT>
  • News flash -- Confederate States of America lost at the Battle of Appomattox and surrendered (as a rebellious nation) unconditionally, all of this 150 years ago.  Can we stop using the N-word now? And why are people in Union+Abolitionist States using the N-word at all?
    </RANT>
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited July 2015
    Last night I woke twice to the sound and smell of Adonis messing the room. Today I came home to find him in a puddle of his own bloody diarrhea. So despite having one or two very compelling reasons to log in tonight, I might be spending it at the emergency vet.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    edited July 2015
    I am missing all of the Maeve stuff because of work. Majorly unhappy.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

Delphas said:
    Tremula said:
    ...so I still don't understand the hiring process in America [snip /].
    Take it from someone who worked illegally in Canada (several times, actually).  It's really easy: We just don't like foreign scum.  A pity, because Canadia is like one of the best American Territories ever invented; several provinces, all well administered and none terribly indebted.  Such is life.

Good luck, Sister! We love you.
    I will smack you.

Before an earthly flight

• Rancoura said:
    I miss it because of sleep :( I need to get to level 80 IRL soon... Anyone up for an aetherhunt?
    edited July 2015
    Ssaliss said:
    Rancoura said:
    I miss it because of sleep :( I need to get to level 80 IRL soon... Anyone up for an aetherhunt?

Less time merchanting (or whatever you do for a living), more time grinding? :P

EDIT: And man, I'd happily forsake sleep to see this event unfold in most cases. Retaining the ability to pay rent and insurance, on the other hand... 

Before an earthly flight

• Lady puts up an ad stating she has two kittens in need of a home. My kitty needs someone to play with, that will play with it, other then the wolf dog. He is getting a bit old. She says sure when I contact her, sets up a 2:30 time... Then can't.. Has yet to message me another possible time... grrrr.

Currently Playing in: The doctors office. One more needle and I might just lose it again.
  • seriously, screw you, 2015.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-nintendo-president-satoru-iwata-dies-at-55-20150712-story.html

お休みなさい, いわた−先生。 安らかに眠ります。

(translation: Good night, Iwata-sensei. Rest in peace.)
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    This is why I live under a rock. I loathe getting attached to people. I need desks to slam my head on. I need tables to flip. I should go ahead and build a house on a deserted island. /rantover
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback