Newbie time!

Hi there, I'm Erinya! I hope this is an appropriate thing to post and place to post it. The short version is, I'm very new and mildly overwhelmed!

So, some backstory: I've been playing text games on and off since I was in high school, so roughly a decade now, but not very many and none at all in the past year or two. I stumbled upon this game's lore and history stuff and found myself drawn in, and since it's free I thought I'd give it a go. I know most of the really basic stuff - moving, IC/OOC, emoting, character development, etc., and I see signs that this game offers a lot of customization, which is really cool.

That said, I'm eager to begin playing! And in many of the other games I played I found that there were some Really Important Things to do when starting out that weren't immediately obvious. I also noticed that a lot of the information that I absorbed before playing (reading through the site, parts of this forum, the wiki, etc.) is incorrect/outdated, so I thought it might be prudent to see if anyone had any important advice before I dive in. So anything on that front is welcome!

I also have some specific questions. The biggest one is, what Big Things have happened over the past 18 in-game years that might have had an impact on my character? And how does this setting handle things like scars and other long-lasting injuries? I know that virtually every game, for gameplay's sake, takes a 'clean slate' approach where anything can be healed via mechanics/death, but how is it handled in the lore?

Also, is there a way to submit typo/bug reports? I noticed one thing in the game and a few things on the lore pages.

I'm sure I'll come up with other things to ask soon. For now I hitched a ride on the tutorial train to the last stop, which appears to be a list of collegium tasks that I'm not feeling quite up to tackling just yet. Gotta process all this! And see if anyone says "DO/DO NOT DO THIS THING RIGHT NOW, IT'S SUPER IMPORTANT!"

Anyway. I'm Erinya. Hi! :)

Comments

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Erinya said:

Also, is there a way to submit typo/bug reports? I noticed one thing in the game and a few things on the lore pages.

Ah, a kindred spirit! Yes, you may report typos and bugs with the TYPO and BUG commands. There are some more specific ones like TYPOHERE when you find one in a room you are standing in, for example. I believe all the different types of syntax can be located within HELP TYPO. 

I think the topic of scars and lasting wounds is a bit on the side of "yes, technically we have magical cures for everything, but I do still have a scar here" that pops up in fantasy environments a lot. I've certainly seen characters with scars, and some even describe themselves as having missing parts. Perfectly acceptable, in my opinion. Maybe the cure didn't work for some reason, or they actively choose to keep the evidence of those injuries? 

As for essentials, uuhm. I've been gone a long time and only just come back, so I'm a bit rusty on that point. I'd say it's important to make positive connections with people in your organization of choice, and they will be happy to guide you through things. That's how I managed it back when I started! I really wish I could help a little more with specifics, but I just came back less than a week ago, and I'm still getting my memory back with these things. Hopefully someone else can swoop in and help you with the details!
  • Hello new person!

• Thank you, Phoebus! I will make use of those commands!

Nice to meet you, Alic!

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited July 2015
    Erinya said:

I also have some specific questions. The biggest one is, what Big Things have happened over the past 18 in-game years that might have had an impact on my character? And how does this setting handle things like scars and other long-lasting injuries? I know that virtually every game, for gameplay's sake, takes a 'clean slate' approach where anything can be healed via mechanics/death, but how is it handled in the lore?

The Portal of Fate is the Big Thing that happens to ever newbie in Lusternia's lore. Passing through it links up your character's denizen soul with a compatible "Other" (that's you, the player), which causes the character to become Fated. It also gives everyone an excuse to have amnesia while they cobble together their character backstories and personalities. That is to say, you don't need to get yourself caught up on the most recent world history, but if you do want to shape your character around the world events that occurred during her formative years, the Events news board is the place to look. Keep in mind that news cycles move quickly, so if something in the recent news is going to be a cornerstone of your character's identity, it might become harder and harder for that to stay relevant as time goes on. But as a starting point, it's a cool idea!

As for wounds and such... Presumably our cures can fix everything, but you can find denizens with injuries, disfigurations, even incurable blindness, so I'd say anything is fair game. Maybe a scar is a manifestation of some psychological trauma associated with the wound? I wouldn't know because my character is an immaculate, unblemished Mary Sue.  ;))

I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Welcome to Lusternia, Erinya! We have a news board dedicated to large events that occur in game. The commands to read the news are in HELP NEWS. The Portal of Fate giving you temporary (or permanent!) amnesia is always a good way to get started while you get used to the game and come up with a history and roleplay for your character.

Lusternia is a great community, so if you have questions be sure to post them on the forums, use the NEWBIE channel in game, or contact other players in your org for help!

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Welcome to Lusternia, and we hope you stick around!
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Well I do know about the Portal of Fate, but I assume that just because my character doesn't remember anything from her life before entering (and she doesn't, not yet!) that doesn't mean it didn't happen! RP and character development are probably the biggest reasons I like MUDs, so I was hoping to get an idea of what the world was like during the timeframe of my character's Super Mysterious Old Life. That way I can start figuring out more about her!

I poked around this site and the wiki a bit but I didn't find any sort of summary of events or timeline or anything. There's a news section on the main site that I need to poke some more that may contain the answers, but I haven't tackled that yet!

I think 18 years IG is what, roughly 7-8 months in the real world? Surely some exciting things have gone down!

• Thank you Zvoltz and Shaddus, I will do my best! A news board, you say? That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for! Double thank you!

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited July 2015
    Ooh, it looks like your character would have been born around the time of the last Ascension. READNEWS EVENTS 316 and go from there.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • You're the best! I will do that when I log back in. Thanks!