Families, Bloodbonding and Marriage.

Comments

• I'd love to see more fun things in game that have roleplay value. Vendors could sell things like custom perfumed oils for each family, some sort of decoration for manses/homesteads. 
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Thematic but probably useless:

Turn it into essence for the family patron-use all that influence to lobby for your god.

Buff to clothing prestige-Being from a super famous family is -like- dressing like a prince instead of a hobo, right?

Reactions-NPCs can treat family members differently from other people. You better believe Fraesic pays more respect to a Windwhisper than to some random dude from the undercity.

Useful besides what Silvanus said:
    H/M/E buffs. Convenient but presumably not necessary or gamebreaking if they stayed at 1/8 or so.

Cadet branches. Give a given person/couple their own family name that they can pass on to descendents while still counting as being in the family. Obscene extra cost to apply to get a historical family as a cadet branch, like having the Clarramores be cadet to the Windwhispers.Especially useful for families that spread out over a bunch of orgs, so you could have separate family lines that amounted to being, for example, Glomdoring Ysav'rai and Hallifax Ysav'rai.

Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited July 2015
    I admit my perspective is skewed because Hallifax is an enlightened society of cooperation and mutual support between families ( ;;) ), but I'm not sure a different set of perks would change player behavior. It's always going to be a numbers game. I'm not entirely convinced the numbers required are appropriate for this game's population, but that's another topic.

BUT family honor shop sounds like a sweet concept. Things like the council position and culture boost can stay, but would need to be upkept by spending honor. I especially like the idea of a denizen vendor.

If there's a homestead for the city's MHF, what would happen to it if and when MHF changes? Would it be just kind of like a luxury vacation home that exists in the org, but is only accessible by the MHF?
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • It would be nice if there were a way to ally families beyond the banner house/great house relationship, which basically has an end point where, as someone noted above, they become direct competitors.

I like the idea of a Covenant-like alliance between greathouses, where families could share an aether. There might be other benefits as well, such as combining/averaging family member totals (which could also act as a safeguard against losing greathouse), or allowing intermarriages freely (neither family loses a member, provided they marry a member of the allied house). This would probably be limited to a bond between 2 families.

I also like the idea of being able to 'adopt' really small/new families, perhaps just sharing the aether with no additional mechanical benefits. This way people who really want to stick to the family names they founded can do so without being completely shut out of the community aspect of the larger families while they're still building. Maybe if they gain the numbers, they automatically become banner houses. If they stay small, they can break the tie with no penalty.

The idea of buying stuff with honor is okay, provided no one is actually expecting the top families to make themselves vulnerable to being surpassed with the lure of h/m/e bonuses. That certainly won't happen.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • The idea of homesteads at a reduced cost would be something open to all Great Houses at a certain honour or population threshold. Not free, just some percentage off. This is to encourage the initial purchase and make it more likely that people will spend honour/credits for the upgrades. Loads of people love building games. It's why franchises that involve a building aspect continue to do well. Even garrisons in WoW are an enjoyable aspect for lots of people! Introducing something inspired by that could generate some interest and even, yes, some income for Lusternia that isn't to do with curios. Maybe add some quests where we can generate construction materials, or blueprints, or whatever. Most people want their own manse because it's something for them, something that they can put their own mark on. A pledged homestead would let people build something to a common, House defined theme. 

Giving us the chance to indulge in silly little 'side games' would be pretty enjoyable. I would be happy to pay more credits, gold and comms to build expansions, add more 'colour' to my family and so on. 

I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of a shared aether- while it was important for guilds to encourage people to stick with them and still be able to advance, families are more distinct in ideology and picking who they really want to spend time with. Maybe as a purchasable thing, but not as a default of allying with families?

I don't really expect this to make families hold hands and sing along. I expect it will make it less about 'adopt everyone, snarl at everyone else, everyone is unhappy because there's no real fun part of being in a family except hanging out with friends and we have clans we can do that in'. Give us some quests to do that help out but aren't stupidly overpowered. d'Murani are supposed to be a merchant house. So them visiting a few people and influencing them to sign trade contracts. d'Vanecu are religious. Bring in some acolytes to study with Alaron, etc

I'm just throwing ideas out because the family system has so much potential, but it has become stagnant because there's no real risk or reward. I know there was an attempt to balance it out and give diminishing returns, etc, but there's still no real -reason- to do it. Oh, d'Murani won for Mag? Okay, no need to bother really working hard because we already get the reward for the city, thanks. 

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    If there could possibly be family vengeance scenarios where all the roles are famous members of that family, either player or npc, that would be awesome.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • edited July 2015
    Ahem,

I would first like to start by thanking Eventru, wherever he is now, for the work he put in in designing the current family system.

That aside, some changes that I feel should happen:

- Remove the honor gain by 'family members being in elected positions'. While this seems innocent on the surface, it has been used as a tool to farm honor points by pushing and forcing members to take positions. Near half of the current leadership in orgs are only there for the honor gain, with many that will admit to it. Remove the perk, and watch them scatter.

- Remove the ruling council perk. This just causes more conflict and puts that family in a bad light.

- Add an option to induct someone into your family -WITHOUT HAVING TO BE RELATED- . This was actually not that uncommon in the old days of ruling familes (medieval period). This would also help with those many individuals that would like to support or simply join a family they like without having to be married to a member or bloodbonded. My idea is this:

o You may formally invite someone to be a part of your family's empire
    o The individual will be considered a VASSAL of your family
    o Individual would need to reject current family
    o A vassal will not be able to run for House lord status, nor able to vote in house elections.
    o all children by a vassal are also considered vassals. They may of course acknowledge the original family of their parents, just like the current system in place.

An example:

Family Tree of Smith

Founder: John Smith
    Founder Jane Smith
    Billy
    Bobby
    Beatrice

The First Generation:
    Billybob
    Bart
    Beenie

VASSALS:
    Peter [p:Ladyn]
    Dorethy [p:ladantine]
    PeterII [f: Peter, m: Penny] [p:Ladyn]

• edited July 2015
    Nymerya said:
    Can we... can we just hijack this thread to discuss in a productive fashion how the family system is amazing and unique but also ultimately pointless and not introducing a healthy and fun system of conflict into the game, and it would be really nice if we could brainstorm and maybe come up with an alternative perk proposal other than 'get most honourable, get council position' as the end goal? Because I know I myself am sick of being lied to, badmouthed, painted as some crazed grude-holding unreasonable control-freak, simply because I get upset about people lying to me constantly over something so simple as marriage/adoption! 

This system, while a really great idea at base level, only lends itself to destroying each other and tearing each other down. There's no point to trying to build up the other families in your city because they're simply a threat. While this might seem like great roleplay at surface level, if it's introducing the idea of beginning the process of adopting people out of the portal who have no idea what's going on, it's not healthy. 

I really think that a better way of handling this whole thing would be to introduce some other perks or roleplay bonuses related to family type and family honour. There could also be a better way of handling alliances and pledges and make it worth it other than just the idea of inflating your numbers if you're a banner/greathouse. Make it more fun and enjoyable by making it less about a single end goal and making it more about your own internal family and what you can do for each other. 
    Well Nymerya it's my thread and I say... go for it! Hijack away (though you already have it seems lol) that is a good reason for said hijacking.

Also I like/agree with all these suggestions so far as long as we can add some way for people to find their parents/be adopted AFTER they get married. once again there is NO reason for that to not be permissable
  • You know, I honestly thought that you could still be adopted. I have a vague memory of starting a consideration for someone who was already married. Maybe it was a bloodbond and I'm just confused. 

• Nymerya said:
    You know, I honestly thought that you could still be adopted. I have a vague memory of starting a consideration for someone who was already married. Maybe it was a bloodbond and I'm just confused. 
    Nope. Cant be adopted and cant bloodbond either. 
  • You can def do one. Cauthorn was married and then joined his family after. 
  • In order to bloodbond, I had to reject my old family. That's the only way.
  • Nymerya said:
    You can def do one. Cauthorn was married and then joined his family after. 
    Yes as Tekora said, you can only do that if you reject the family you are already a part of. that is the problem I have. cant bloodbond or adopt without rejecting a family that I don't want to reject. doesnt mean I don't want parents though, or siblings.
  • Ah. I guess it is kinda a one size fits all system. Sucks. Maybe they'll look at it one day. /hope
  • Nyxx said:
    Nymerya said:
    Yes as Tekora said, you can only do that if you reject the family you are already a part of. that is the problem I have. cant bloodbond or adopt without rejecting a family that I don't want to reject. doesnt mean I don't want parents though, or siblings.
    You could leave, do it and then return, no?
  • edited July 2015
    Steingrim said:
    Nyxx said:
    Nymerya said:

Thats a big ass hit to family honour though, not to mention a divorce line I don't particularly want.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Nyxx said:
    Steingrim said:
    Nyxx said:
    Nymerya said:

Thats a big ass hit to family honour though, not to mention a divorce line I don't particularly want.
    True, but family honour can be regained, and there is an artifact that removes the divorce line iirc. So short term it's irritating and not ideal, but long term it gives you what you want!
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    Ignoring the weirdness of this scenario for a moment... Would it be possible to have kids with somebody, divorce them, remarry to someone totally unrelated, then adopt the original partner? /:)
    I used to make cakes.

• Daraius said:
    Ignoring the weirdness of this scenario for a moment... Would it be possible to have kids with somebody, divorce them, remarry to someone totally unrelated, then adopt the original partner? /:)

@-) :-?

I don't know.
  • edited August 2015
    No @Daraius you can't break up with wife to adopt her, you are too OTP.

Yes but that Shevat-Windwhisper marriage causes more trouble than it's worth. We need to broaden our options, and make our hugs even more awkward.
    I used to make cakes.

Daraius said:
    Yes but that Shevat-Windwhisper marriage causes more trouble than it's worth. We need to broaden our options, and make our hugs even more awkward.
    That's gratitude for you. Look at it this way: I accidentally stopped a legion of Shevats from marrying out into Windwhisper! :-bd
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • ZyphoraZyphora :: the sun in her splendour ::
    Zyphillia will never be :(

edited September 2015
    I've got another question about family system mechanics.

Say there's a character, let's call him Schmaleo, and he's a Schmevat who married into Schmindwhisper. Then his dad divorces his mom (kicking her out of Schmevat) and marries into Schmindwhisper too. Could Schmaleo ever again acknowledge Schmevat since the bloodline is still there through his dad? What if he divorced his own Schmindwhisper bride before his dad's marriage paperwork cleared?
    I used to make cakes.

I feel Schmaleo would need to make use of his window of opportunity before Schmedrin went Schwindwhisper.
    Daraius said:
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Daraius said:
    I've got another question about family system mechanics.

Say there's a character, let's call him Schmaleo, and he's a Schmevat who married into Schmindwhisper. Then his dad divorces his mom (kicking her out of Schmevat) and marries into Schmindwhisper too. Could Schmaleo ever again acknowledge Schmevat since the bloodline is still there through his dad? What if he divorced his own Schmindwhisper bride before his dad's marriage paperwork cleared?

Sylandra said:
    I feel Schmaleo would need to make use of his window of opportunity before Schmedrin went Schwindwhisper.

8-|
    edited September 2015
    Which means Schmaraius has not very much time to develop a rapport with a barely active nephew and/or send a very awkward letter. :-?

But getting back to the mechanics I'm curious about... If someone married out of a family, do they take their kids with them? If Llesvelt married into Pavok, for instance, would his son Khydan (whose mother is no longer Shevat) automatically become Pavok? If not, would he gain the option to acknowledge Pavok as his family if he wanted to? And if he did that, would he ever be able to change his mind about it?
    I used to make cakes.